Roberto Duran's book

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Just started reading his book which I got for Christmas.

Interesting what he says about boxing champions never coming from 'rich neighbourhoods', but coming from the gutters.

Obviously Chris Eubank Jn springs to mind. Is Duran talking out of his backside a bit or are there fighters from affluent backgrounds winning belts?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've just finished it got it for xmas also, good read

Twentyman likes this.
  3. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Does anyone have any other recommendations for quality boxing autobiographies?

It's a top read so far but for such an amazing, long career (68-2001) i was expecting it to be 2-3 times longer.

4. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Seems to really only go into any detail on the big fights, and how much weight he had to lose :)

Best I've read is Mike Tysons and im not a huge Tyson fan, Froch's is decent, Joe Calzaghes is good, Tris Dixons book is good, and Floyd Mayweathers is good

Twentyman likes this.
  5. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It's an interesting point. Chavez Jr could be lumped in that category but then both of their fathers made money through boxing to begin with.

6. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Ain't read it but I hearing el Inca ain't being released anyone update on weather true or why?

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Well, Chris Eubank Junior isn't a world champion and the only reason he's really talked about is due to who his father is.
    He's British champion, I'll give him that. But then he's not even the best in Britain, so there it is.

I think there have probaby been a few champions from well-off backgrounds but they are rare.

Twentyman likes this.
  8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Hes got a point but their is always exceptions to the rule. its changed a bit nowadays because very few are quite so poor as they were. These people guys like pacman kind of had to suceed in order to change their lifes. Its got to make you hungrier. Figures that the more money you ve got the more options you ve got as well for distractions etc. Its such a tough sport...that if you were rich why would you bother doing it anyway. If you did want to why would you put in the sacrifice necessary to reach the top.

Chris eubanks junior is an odd one because although they ve been affluent...and credit to his dad for this. Hes kind of got him working like hes a poor man. Without the dad i m not sure he d have kept it up. He already knows the sacrifice necessary. Plus add to the fact the moneys/names actually helping them provide the best training equiptment etc.

Great book duran. Enjoyed the usual ones as well mate...hatton. tyson. Froch. Haye. Not a fan of froch but really enjoyed his book. All have decent reads.

Twentyman likes this.
  9. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Based on activity, yeah i guess so. 23 fights in 5 years is nothing spectacular but it's not embarrasing either. But I can't see many hungry poor fighters turning down the opporunities he's had to fight for world titles so I'd probably disagree with what you've said.

10. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012

Thats fair enough mate. Think its more down to politics with the promotional companies etc. Getting on tv securing good deals for him and most importantly for them dictating things thats more the problem than him not wanting to fight.

But in terms of keeping him in the gym...challenging top fighters in the gym etc sparring like hes fighting and training like he wants it. For me the mindsets pretty much that of a hungry up and coming challenger. The sons not getting an easy ride from the father.

11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely be on Amazon later, ordering some of them.

I'm really not decided on the money-desire thing. I think if you come from an affluent background then you're less likely to be in fights as a kid and instead brought up to resolve differences non-violently. Which is what I try and teach with my children.

As a kid though, I was always in scraps, I remember once I was in a fight with a kid in front of my mum when she shouted for me to "butt him" haha.

So I get the rough background/dealing with conflict thing. Yet, I know so many people from poor backgrounds who have zero motivation or 'fire in their belly' to fight for something.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this...but from what I can see with Eubank Jn is that he really enjoys using his strength and speed to beat up on people. He's almost sadistic the way he's destroyed his 'domestic/euro' opponents.

12. like a boss

like a boss Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Whether Duran's 'rich neighbourhood' comment is true in all cases or not, it is certainly true in most.

Where is the incentive in boxing for most rich kids?

13. like a boss

like a boss Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2012
    The Duran movie, 'Hands of Stone', made only this year, is due for release soon. In some parts it might already be showing?

14. Distrikt45

Distrikt45 New Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Curtis Woodhouse Box to Box a good read - especially if you like your footy as well as boxing

Twentyman likes this.
  15. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012

Sure i ve seen some of it mate. Not great but some will probably enjoy it. Not a massive fan of biopics especially when we know so much about the subject already. Watchable tho. Much prefer the books seem to go into more detail about the boxing.