Robinson Vs Hagler at middle weight.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Aug 1, 2022.

Who wins?

1. Robinson points

45.5%
  2. Robinson KO/TKO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hagler points

40.9%
  4. Hagler KO/TKO

13.6%
  1. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Robinson was at his absolute best at welter weight but he was still a beast at middle weight. So how would he stack up against a fighter who’s prime was at middle weight and is wildly considered the greatest middle weight of all time Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I’m going with prime Hagler. So much class. So many answers.

As great as Robinson was, he fought like a performer. Undeniable talent. He delivered value. But I don’t think he was one for strategies. He went out and did a routine. Albeit A routine that was levels above most.

However, If Robinson found Randy Turpin unorthodox he would struggle more with Haglers advanced switch hitting style.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Robinson by UD.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    The original Sugar Ray.

In so many ways, better than the 80s version, and on top of that, a heavier puncher and the best ever combination puncher.

So Hagler figures to be in trouble, right?

But in a high stakes fight, and in peak form fighting at peak intensity, we'd see Robinson definitely putting up a fight (he had so many tools and was so smart)

But still, were talking about a FOCUSED and determined Hagler. He knows what it means to lose and to win

A loss sends him back to the ranks of the "almost but not quite" greats, like Rodrigo Valdes, while a win would turn him into the living legend

something tells me, Hagler would have a hard time "hating" this opponent. If he could create hate for Robinson as an opponent, he fights at peak intensity, both fists flailing like the irresistible hammer of Thor, with the fur flying, and busting Ray to pieces, eventually depositing Robinson on the floor ala Juan Roldan.

If however, Marvin fights without passion, Robbie puts up a fight. I can even see RR taking a close decision.

It depends on which Hagler shows up

5. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hagler all the way. He's got the toughness of Lamotta coupled with a better all round boxing brain and superb stamina. Back to the lower divisions for SRR!

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's actually a fair post. I could see SRR give a lot of hassles to a flat version of Hagler, who didn't always bring his full capabilities to bear.

BEATDOWNZ and Mark Dunham like this.
  7. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I would go for Robinson.

If the lesser Sugar Ray was able to frustate and outsmart Hagler I don't see why the greater Sugar Ray shouldn't be able to achieve the same.

Sure Hagler has the physical advantage, impressive boxing skills, amazing chin and he knew how to punch and hurt. But SRR was a master tactician, with incredible work rate, toughness and punching power.

This is going to be a very difficult fight for Sugar, maybe his most difficult ever, but I am quite confident he will be able to outbox Marvin and pull a close but clear win by points.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Richard M Murrieta and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    What are the physical advantages Hagler possessed over Robinson?

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    In his prime middleweight years Robinson was a blown-up, aging fighter who could definitely produce a dud every now and then. Prime Hagler, a natural brick s-house of a middleweight, is just a bit too much for him. Too much pressure backed by too much power and too much chin. I don't think Ray would have quite the firepower to dissuade him and would turn to survival mode in the championship rounds.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Mark Dunham and BoB Box like this.
  10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I went with Robinson on points.

Richard M Murrieta and ETM like this.