Rocky Marciano '53 vs. Ron Lyle '75

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Omega74, Jul 20, 2021.

Who wins?

1. Marciano by KO

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Lyle by KO

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Marciano by UD

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Lyle by UD

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    All true I think you’ll find. They are still called heavyweights in amateur boxing. They were still called heavyweights during the 1970s in the pros. Which is the period mr Lyle was doing his thang.

RockyJim likes this.
  2. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Ron Lyle notable KOs:

Buster Mathis KO2
    Garcia KO3
    Blin KO2
    Kirkman KO8
    Shavers KO6
    Foreman rumble

Ingemar Johansson:

Erskine TKO13
    Neuhaus TKO4
    This content is protected

Patterson TKO3 (in three trails)

Second fellow of course is a killa who´s stopping 235lb HWs :rolleyes:

I´ll take Lyle by KO over the LHW-190CW. More proven resume at HW.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    swagdelfadeel and BlackCloud like this.
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Foreman is not a notable kayo victim of Ron Lyle. He was knocked out by Foreman when I watched it.

This leaves a selection of okay wins. Blin. Shavers. Mathis. These are not world beaters. Or especially outstanding contenders when Lyle beat them.

The unbeaten Machen was a legitimate threat to the title. Patterson was the best heavyweight in the world. This kind of adds more historical status to a resume under any logic than Blin and co.

Pedro_El_Chef and RockyJim like this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I like Marciano by late Ko.
    There may well be a few Kds on the way but it's Rock that gets it.

RockyJim and choklab like this.
  5. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    At first glance a valid observation, dig deeper , its on shaky ground.
    That fight was Jerrys finest hour, he moved in and out of range like nether before, and that was crucial to his success, where as Rocky would have ( like always ) been pressing, advancing, moving in closing this distance, and that my friend is the very big difference between the outcome, Marciano would be getting hit, and getting hit hard, still that's not to say I see it as Lyle having it easy , Rocky's formidable chin, stamina, heart, and his will to win , would have been a match for big Ron, or pretty much any HW champ. keep well.

TBI, choklab and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Lyle's power is a bit overrated because of Foreman's fight, the fight when Foreman went from 2 years break. I don't think he's good enough to beat Marciano, though he'd be very dangerous opponent for smaller swarmer like Rocky.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    What i am angling at is that the Foreman bout if anything makes him look like much more of a puncher than he really was IMO. He could bang but i think he was a good level below a lot of hitters. There's guys that went the duration with him that you really wouldn't expect to.

As for who wins either choice is fine.

Garcia was KO's in 1:25 by some guy 7-3 right before he fought Lyle so he was easy meat at this stage. Mathis was in his last fight but it's a good tick. The Rock has certainly got bigger fish than Blin and Kirkman was coming off two stoppage losses including to one guy that had 20 losses and 5 wins and was dropped 4 times inside 3 rounds yet still axed Boone. Would have loved to have seen that one. Shavers is a good KO win but his combination of durability and stamina left as bit to be desired against better guys and Lyle was a good fighter.

choklab and swagdelfadeel like this.
  8. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol:

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm adding that one to my bag of tricks. Hope i don't get banned :lol:

Clinton and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Marciano is all wrong for Lyle. I like Lyle a lot and probably defend him and his record more then most on this forum. But he was a rather simple guy in the ring. Didn’t have many tricks. Saw someone said his stamina was good. I don’t ever recall seeing that. Usually his stamina failed him which is a recipe for disaster against RM. Lyle had good power but his lack of major skills allowed the craftier fighters to edge him out. RM was a lot more crafty then Bonavena in every way. Lyle reminds me of a better version of Layne (stronger slightly better defense not as good stamina). That was an easy fight for Marciano.

As far as weight goes RM was 11-0 with 11KOs to people over 200. I don’t think it bothered him much.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    RockyJim likes this.
  11. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    It would have been interesting if Marciano resorted to his non Queensberry rule breaking with Lyle, the likes of Charles almost accepted such indiscretions by Marciano, i think Mr Lyle would not have been quite so forgiving, returning the 'rough' stuff handed out by Rocky, with much added interest.

swagdelfadeel and Seamus like this.
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It didn't bother him much because the people he fought over 200 were total garbage. Even the decrepit one-handed mummy of Joe Louis.

13. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Some were some weren’t . But the point being weight didn’t bother him. And by size queens standards that’s a given that weight would bother him. Despite all the evidence of the contrary.

choklab likes this.
  14. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Lyle almost KOd Foreman, that's enough to make this an easy choice for me.
    Lyle by KO in under 5 rounds

15. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Lyle by KO in under 5 rounds