Rocky Marciano '53 vs. Ron Lyle '75

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Omega74, Jul 20, 2021.

Who wins?

1. Marciano by KO

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Lyle by KO

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Marciano by UD

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Lyle by UD

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Because he’s not. What are you watching that makes you think his punches are just as strong? He’s not continuing to throw hard punches in the late rounds. It’s clear they have no snap. He clinches a lot more because he’s exhausted. His hands drop. Not quite sure we are watching the same fights here.

2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    You asked me to read the reports on the Lyle vs Bonavena fight. I literally just posted them and they said Lyle and Bonavena continued to throw hard punches even in the last round.

So are you being dense on purpose or are you just dense? I did what you asked and now you're denying that Lyle was throwing hard punches in the final rounds!

William Walker and JohnThomas1 like this.
  3. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    You’re way off base with this one Glass. I literally mentioned many fights many of which you can actually watch on film (Ali Shavers Foreman Quarry Scott). And you pick the one we can’t watch and in the article even states he was TIRED. Watch the other fights and tell me he’s still punching hard after eight rounds. If you say he is I won’t go as far as calling you dense I’ll just assume you’re trolling because no one can be thag oblivious that’s a fan of the sport.

choklab likes this.
  4. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Ron Lyle was 33-36 years of age in the peak of his career. He was 35 years of age for instance in his most famous claim to fame...being knocked out by Foreman in a fun but ugly sluggish fight with poor skills on display....but heart...you can't count out that heart.

Anyway, only on this forum will you see people argue a dude that was vastly older than most of his opponents, wasnt a pro athlete till he was 30 after prison time, peaked in his mid 30s...might not have great stamina...dare I say...sporadic struggles with it.

choklab likes this.
  5. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Also true of his fights with Ellis and Quarry.

6. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Why not Gazelle? Rocky was poor in skills when compared to Walcott, Charles, and Moore, and even Roland LaStarza. Only strength and heart helped him win those fights. So why couldn't Lyle beat Marciano with just strength and heart, plus another 25 pounds?

Glass City Cobra and Noel857 like this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Are you saying Lyle is a ridiculous choice?

8. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It’s a question of levels. Prime Lyle couldn’t beat Peralta.

But if Ricky beat Lyle it would just be another old man past his prime seeing as Lyle wasn’t any good until he was as old as comeback Joe Louis.

9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

Well he both "could" and did so that statement is all wrong chok.

Also bear in mind the draw was considered a terrible decision with the APP scoring it for Lyle 6-3-1.

Even the German paper said -
    • "Lyle beat Peralta without respect or pity. It will remain a secret how the ring jury decided on a draw." -The Frankfurt Allgemeine Zeitung
    I'd suggest doing some research before posting such stuff.

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    The record shows a draw. It’s a fair statement.

11. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Peralta, Young or Ali shows us nothing about Rocky dealing with Lyle. They are as different from Rocky as possible. I mean, Young is a fighter with almost no workrate who did everything to smother opponent and fight on defensive side from start to finish.

12. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I don't see much evidence that Lyle's power was a big factor even against smaller guys. Quarry and Ellis were not big heavyweights in fact not much bigger than Marciano and Lyle couldn't even drop either of them. Peralta was a former light heavyweight and again Lyle couldn't stop him. What makes one think his power is suddenly going to be a factor against Marciano?

13. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Marciano had skills. He just lacked very specific ones like a jab. Great defense great countering feinted well power in both hands stamina. The stories of Marciano being “unskilled” are so overblown from his earlier career. Those men you mentioned are some of the most skilled to ever step in the ring so there’s no shame in that. Lyles stamina, chin, and style would be his downfall. They styles favor Rocky here.

William Walker likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    The record shows a win too which makes your statement completely incorrect and in no way a "fair statement". Let me know if you still someone do not understand.

Hopefully you are beginning to realize they fought two times. A slightly bigger scroll past the draw would have shown it but i'm guessing that negative blip was just too hard to look past or even investigate.

The record showing a draw proves why one needs to be a bit more than a boxrec warrior at times.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I knew he fought Peralta twice. I guess there was a rematch to improve on the first result to see if, like Foreman, Ron could force a stoppage second time around but it wound up a draw.

Don’t forget, Peralta was 38 years old.

Now even at that age, Peralta was a pretty good fighter but I don’t see many potential champions going 1-0-1 with him. Certainly not against ones favoured over ATG champions anyway.

sounds like a tough fight.

“Ron Lyle of Denver was a disappointed, frustrated fighter Sunday after his 10 round heavyweight bout against Gregorio Peralta of Argentina had been declared a draw. Peralta scored well in the first four rounds, when he peppered Lyle with quick punches and feinted and danced out of the way of Lyle's jabs. But Lyle came back in the later rounds, launching a fierce body attack in the seventh round. At the final bell, Peralta had a cut right eyebrow, swollen cheeks and was covered with body bruises. The announcement of the draw surprised even the pro Peralta crowd of 5,000 at Frankfurt's Festhalle Arena. The Argentine smiled with obvious relief while Lyle shook his head and raised his arms in insistence of victory." -Associated Press”

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021