Rocky Marciano Has To Duplicate Floyd Pattersons Entire 64 Fight Career

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Rocky has to duplicate Floyd's career to a tee, in the same order Floyd fought them in... Which means for Rocky's 14th professional fight he gets 100 plus fight pro Maxim. So on and so forth. How does Rocky do?

Personally I think Rocky picks up several losses as is stopped in a few of them. I always thought Liston was a horrible style match up for Marciano. Going against prime version of Bonavena and Quarry at the tail end of his career would likely prove problematic for the Rock as well.

Sangria likes this.
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    If Marciano is able to maintain good form and longevity for that type of duration then I don’t think he loses to Johansson, Ellis or Quarry ( though Floyd was arguably robbed in a couple of those. ). Reversely I wouldn’t favor Rocky to beat Liston or Ali

3. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    No chance in hell Marciano can be viable for as long as Patterson was. Patterson was highly competitive with Quarry Ellis & Bonavena at an equivalent time Marciano was long gone.

I give Marciano more of a chance vs Liston than many, but he’s certainly underdog there & against Ali at a point in time where in real life he was already retired. He probably does worse than Patterson over a twenty year career.

4. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    I was going to alternatively ask how does Marciano do if he fights all of Floyd's opposition over the span of his own career, which was under a decade I believe. So 64 bouts in 7 years. Floyd fought from 52 to 72 if I'm remembering correctly. I've always loved Patterson's longevity and ability to adapt. So many fighters have never come back from setbacks like Liston blowing him out twice.

apollack, Pepsi Dioxide and Ney like this.
  5. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    If we make Marciano fight for 20 years, he is going to pick up some losses for sure, in any era.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Floyd was active for 20 years, Rocky for 6. Rock's body breaks down about the time of the Liston fight, a guy who Marciano wouldn't beat on his best day. After that, he's just ripe for the picking. Ali certainly thrashes him but also Quarry, Bonavena, perhaps even Chuvalo and Powell.

swagdelfadeel and Reinhardt like this.
  7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    In my opinion Rocky takes several losses especially after the age of 32

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    More "Science Fiction" from Seamus...Liston...the man...who as champion...QUIT WHILE SITTING ON HIS STOOL against the light hitting Cassius Clay in Miami in Feb.1964...and then...up in the state of Maine in May 1965...takes a DIVE against Ali in the first round. Too funny!

newurban99 and HomicideHank like this.
  9. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    You give yourself away by parading around a myth like Ali being feather fisted.

Also why in the hell are you calling him Cassius Clay?

JohnThomas1, Hotep Kemba and Saintpat like this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Marciano never faced a man-sized athlete that was in his prime. Plus, if your reading comprehension is up, Rocky would be following Floyd's career to a tee, thus facing Liston 10 years into his career. Lil' Rock's body failed him well before that time, so the version we would get would be even more physically compromised that the prime version was.

Niels Probst and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I mean, Rocco had 25 "amateur" fights before turning pro, so no, he was not going to be fighting Maxim in 14 fights. Apples to oranges.

12. HomicideHank

HomicideHank I believe in the transmigration of souls Full Member

Nov 27, 2023
    That was his name when he fought Liston.

13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Not the second time, and the poster referenced both fights vs. Ali.

14. HistoryZero26

HistoryZero26 Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2024
    10-15 losses. He would lose more than Patterson did fighting that same SOS.

There are 15 fights where the opponent has a good chance to beat him. I am not counting Moore and Maxim who were from Rockys own era.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    OK he starts off with 4 automatic losses to Liston and Ali. Don't even need to see where in his career he's matched up against them because no version of him beats those two.

In his 14th fight, he's definitely losing to Maxim. I'd just about favor him in his 32nd fight against the version of Moore Patterson faced. He probably doesn't drop a bout to Ingo which is the only improvement I can see upon Patterson's record. He definitely drops bouts to Quarry 2X, Ellis, and Bonavena because he would've been over 50 fights by then.

So I think he only loses one more fight than Patterson did tbh