Rocky Marciano vs 70's HW's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    We all know that Rocky retired undefeated. But would he have been so fortunate had he have fought in the richest era of heavyweight boxing. It was called the 'Golden' era for a reason - as we have 3 of the greatest heavyweights of all-time in the same era - with a plethora of other tough & talented hw contenders.

How does Marciano fare against:
    Ali
    Frazier
    Foreman
    Norton
    Holmes
    Lyle
    Shavers
    Quarry
    Bonavena
    Ellis
    Mathis
    Bugner
    Chuvalo
    Young
    Patterson
    M Foster
    B Foster

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Only Ali and Foreman beat him. And the Ali fight would be amazing. Holmes and Ellis would be tough fights but I’d take him to Ko both. Bonavena would be a tough fight as well

3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I love doing these! Toughest heavyweight era, but Marciano does well imo.

Ali-hopefully this would be a trilogy. Marciano does an FOTC on Ali the first time, but loses the next two slugfests, both very close. Ali by SD in the next two instances.
    Frazier-very close, could go either way; I prefer a draw, although either one could win a decision. No knockouts.
    Foreman-Brutal slugfest, but Foreman feasted on pressure-fighters like Frazier and Norton, and I think Marciano would be no exception, but Marciano would offer sufficient resistance for several rounds.
    Norton-another close fight fought on the inside, but Marciano stops Norton around 8 or 9
    Holmes-two fights I would hope; Marciano UDs Larry the first time in a thrilling fight but gets S'D in the second thriller.
    Lyle-I favor Marciano slightly due to his resume, but because of Lyle's size and power compared to Rocky's size + Rocky never faced anyone near as large and powerful as Lyle, it is safe to assume that Lyle could brutalize Marciano. Either way I have it a close fight and another war of course. Probably a few knockdowns on both sides. I make Lyle a slight favorite. Either could win by knockout or decision.
    Shavers-Shavers gives Marciano a tough time early but gasses after 3-5 and gets KO'd. Terrific match. Two biggest missers in boxing. I can see the commentators now: "I have never seen two fighters exchange so furiously without actually landing anything."
    Quarry-Great fight. Absolutely spectacular. Quarry takes the first 2 rounds but gasses out. Rocky RTD 7.
    Bonavena-Very close maul-and-braul fight. Two supreme brawlers. Marciano SD.
    Ellis-Ellis starts fast and hurts the Rock. Rocky comes on to stop him around 8-12. Earlier seems more likely to me.
    Mathis-Mathis outboxes Rocky and leans on him a lot. He could really gas Rocky out that way, but Rocky KOs the blubber-belly late just like Joe did.
    Bugner-With Bugner's luck he would survive against Rocky. Nothing more. Might give Rocky one or two very brief fits.
    Chuvalo-Epic battle between two great chins. Rocky would indulge Chuvalo more than any other boxer did. I still favor. Really there is no reason to choose Marciano over Chuvalo. Chuvalo was far less accomplished which works in his favor, but their skills are about the same. Rocky was a little less passive than Marciano, but both were very wild and ineffective in their aggression.
    Young-Young beat all types of fighters and several greats, but in his prime Young struggled the most w/ Norton's pressure fighting style, and I think Rocky would win the decision, but Young would lose gracefully.
    Patterson-Patterson outboxes Marciano and outslugs him at times but gets KO'd late, around 11-13.
    M Foster-Foster leads but is stopped in 6.
    B Foster-Foster lasts two rounds w/ Marciano just like he did against Smokin' Joe

4. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Only Frazier and Foreman beat him. But I do agree the Ali loss would be amazing.

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Beats everyone except Ali, Foreman, Frazier and Holmes.

BlackCloud and Showstopper97 like this.
  6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    KO1 all, but loses to Primo Carnera in the Fight of The Millennium.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Ali Ali split decision or late round TKO maybe 12-15. Only version of Ali Rocky could beat would be the post Manilla Ali who was more lethargic and out of shape.

Frazier in a best of three Rocky wins at least 1 bare minimum. It would be an extremely competitive and brutal back and forth war either way and the fans would cream themselves.

Foreman Foreman KO within 4 or less. Horrible match up

Norton Rocky late round KO maybe in 10-12 after struggling for a while due to Norton's cross arm block, strength and athleticism.

Holmes Holmes UD. Rocky's face would look like it got stung by hornets after eating that jab all night and getting clipped by uppercuts. He does likely manage to drop Holmes at some point with his overhand right.

Lyle Rocky by split decision or late round stoppage.

Shavers Rocky gets off the floor to win by KO within 9.

Quarry extremely bloody and exciting war. Rocky by stoppage within 7.

Bonavena Rocky unanimous decision. His work rate, body punching, low crouching frustrate Bonavena but he can't really put a dent in him. They smother each other's punches too much and it wouldn't be that exciting honestly.

Ellis Rocky KO in 6 after trailing on the score cards.

Mathis Rocky could honestly lose this one. Some might look at the Frazier but Frazier had faster hands and better had movement to avoid the jab and close the distance. His nasty left hooks to the body were much sharper and more consistent than Rocky's more bludgeoning approach. I favor Mathis at his best to win 6/10 with his annoying movement and size, but Rocky could definitely pull off a Walcott 1 type of win if he's relentless enough.

Bugner another fight where Rocky is frustrated by size and an annoying style. Bugner could hypothetically win but probably isn't busy enough to convince the judges. Rocky wins many rounds on activity. Rocky UD 7/10.

Chuvalo Rocky UD. Although we might actually see Rocky completely gassed for once since Chuvalo would really test his body and willpower.

Young Rocky stops him late. A light hitting cautious counter puncher has no way to convincingly win rounds over guys like Rocky and Frazier who never back off and can take a shot.

Patterson tough one. Patterson's speed would be a serious problem. Might resemble the Chuvalo fight. It could honestly end in a draw. Rocky doesn't have the size and leverage to bully Patterson the way Liston did nor does he have the sniping skill and patience of Bingo. A battle in the trenches. They likely need 3 matches to settle things.

M Foster Rocky UD or late round stoppage.

B Foster Rocky KO within 5.

8. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Here are my picks
    *Winners are in red
    How does Marciano fare against:
    This content is protected

Norton - W TKO 8
    This content is protected

Lyle - SD or late TKO
    Shavers - TKO 4
    Quarry - TKO 6
    Bonavena - UD
    Ellis - KO 3-5
    Mathis - TKO 10-12
    Bugner - UD
    Chuvalo - UD
    Young - UD/SD
    Patterson - KO 5
    M Foster - KO 2
    B Foster - KO 3

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It really depends on when he met them in their career and in his. Marciano, as a completed work, was only around for a few years... And his style and physical limitations didn't bode well for a long shelf life as a fighter so he would only last thru 20% of these guys before falling apart.

I will assume the best versions of each...

Ali... Rock loses by stoppage
    Frazier.. Rock loses by stoppage
    Foreman... Rock loses by stoppage
    Norton... Rock loses by stoppage
    Holmes... Rock loses by stoppage
    Lyle... Rock loses by stoppage
    Shavers... Rock loses by stoppage
    Quarry... Rock loses by stoppage
    Bonavena... Oscar by Dec.
    Ellis... Rock by Dec.
    Mathis.. Rock by KO
    Bugner... Draw
    Chuvalo... Rock by Dec
    Young,.. Young by Dec.
    Patterson... Patterson by Dec.
    M Foster... Rock loses by stoppage
    B Foster... Rock by KO

BlackCloud likes this.
  10. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Marciano beats all of them , maybe, except foreman perhaps. Ali was great at running around and such but he hit too much like a little girl to really bother marciano, imo

11. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    That’s a lot of fighters and scenarios to analyze. I think his biggest problem comes with the colossal punchers. And of course the exceptional boxers namely Ali and Holmes. He has my vote to beat a lot of the contenders and possibly has a 50/50 chance with Joe Frazier

12. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Marciano has no pedigree against 210+ prime atheltic HWs. He's in complete unknown territory. Guys like Norton, Lyle and Shavers might just ragdoll him. Shavers potentially blows him out early.

I'm definitely picking him to lose against Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Holmes.

swagdelfadeel and Seamus like this.
  13. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

That's closer to reality than Rocky beating all but 2 or 3

Seamus likes this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Ali, Foreman, Frazier and Holmes all have a Good chance of beating Marciano. The others have no chance. None.

the 1970s version of Holmes was better than the 1980s version of Holmes. The 1960S version of Ali and Frazier we’re both better than the 1970s version.

Marciano absolutely would have been champion in the 1970s. But probably not for very long...he would have lost at least once.

15. Brockton Rock

Brockton Rock Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2020
    I can't see Marciano losing to this lot.

RockyJim likes this.