Rocky Marciano vs 70's HW's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    There are a lot of variables. When does Marciano catch these guys? For instance, Frazier from 1975 isn't the same animal he was in 1970. Ali had a rapid decline in this period as well.

Regardless my rule of thumb is he beats the same fighters that Frazier and Quarry did. Marciano doesn't fight exactly like Quarry and Frazier, but he takes them out.

I think if Marciano turns pro in 1970. He probably catches and beats most of these guys on the slide, and probably loses to a prime Holmes while on his own decline.

I suppose Foreman will always be favored over the Rock regardless, but he isn't consistent enough to be a true roadblock. Maybe Rock loses to him but gets the title back from declined Ali or Young. Or he doesn't fight Foreman lol. And just defends or challenges his conqueror.

I suppose Marciano could be very successful in the 70s if he's managed well, and likely would be. Hell, people forget he wasn't a joy to be in the ring with and there are fighters that would avoid him just the same. Foreman and Frazier had just as careful matching as Marciano. Norton only fought punchers when necessary. Then there are guys in the 70s who had nothing to lose and fought everyone.

Fights most likely to happen:

Rocky vs Ali
    Rocky vs Shavers
    Rocky vs Quarry
    Rocky vs Lyle
    Rocky vs Young

I think match ups with Foreman and Frazier would only be pursued if necessary. There is no way Rocky is fighting everyone on that list, and no way he's catching them all at their best. I guess I'm just more intrigued by the match making and business side of such a scenario.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Tbh, if he meets the Foreman who decimated Frazier, he never fights again.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Marciano beats 70’s Ali.
    He beats Frazier.
    I’ll take Foreman over him, but not with much certainty.
    Beats Norton and the rest.

louis54 likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I can see the Rock beating Terry Daniels and Rudi Lubbers. I'll give him that.

5. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Same