Rocky Marciano vs Frank Bruno

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 8, 2020.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If you had asked this question while Bruno was active, people would probably have laughed at you.

Bruno's carer has been subject to some frankly bizarre revisionism since he retired.

For those not old enough to remember, he feasted on no hopers, lost whenever he stepped up, then went back to feasting on no hopers again.

Putting him in against Marciano, would be cruelty to children!

ETM, WAR01, RockyJim and 1 other person like this.
  2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Bruno is in only too charted territory here.

When he fought somebody world class, he almost invariably lost!

the idea that all that you need to be favorite over a smaller undefeated champion, is to be bigger than anybody that he beat, is ridiculous!

3. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Johnny Shkor lost nearly if not every time he stepped up, was at the end of the road, and was coming off a KO loss in the first round. Beating him is hardly proof Marciano would be able to handle the modern SHWs of today (whom would not only be much bigger than Sckor but superior in every way).

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Didn't Williams have over 30 fights when Bob Satterfield stopped him? And there's nothing indicating that it would be far fetched that Satterfield would not be able to stop Williams at any point.

I don't have any clue on what you're talking about as far as sour grapes about Williams being favored over Spinks. But I'm fairly certain that Spinks, especially a 200+ pound Spinks decks the hell out of Williams.

Williams lost to lesser fighters than Marciano and smaller men as well.

6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Beating him is proof he can beat someone who's only advantage is size.

7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Oh OK. I thought you were making a case, that he could beat anyone 220 and up, on the sole basis that he did it against Schkor. My apologies Luf!

8. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Marciano wouldn't be a world class HW in the 80s or 90s so Bruno wouldn't have to worry about facing a world class HW, he'd be facing a light heavyweight.

Marciano's own management avoided the SHW of his era, Valdes, who was a smaller man than Bruno. Obviously they had some common sense, even if the posters here didn't

No one said Bruno wins solely due to size. He's not only far bigger and more powerful, he's athletic, an A class jab

There's weight classes in boxing for a reason. Marciano wouldn't be a HW in the 80s

9. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    This is revisionism and I'm not sure you're old enough to remember Bruno's career the way you're talking. Because you sound like a casual who jumped on the last Tyson loss rather than someone who followed 80s and 90s boxing. How old are you?

Bruno earned all of his title shots bar the maybe the McCall title shot. He destroyed ex champ Coetzee in a round to get his shot at Witherspoon. Coetzee who had KO'd Dokes for the title only a couple of years before. He dominated Coetzer more than Riddick Bowe managed to do. And he ko'd Williams, who years early was robbed of a world title against Larry Holmes. HE knocked out Tillis in 5 who went 12 with Tyson and stopped a comebacking Budgner who'd beat ex-champ Page on his comeback. He took out Ribalta in 2 who went 10 with Tyson.

His losing efforts were also impressive. He was beating Lennox Lewis when he got stopped. He fought an even fight against Witherspoon before Witherspoon caught upto him. He was beating Smith before Smith came from behind to KO him. The Tyson fights were 1 sided bar the first round of the first fight. But Tyson was doing that to everyone.

And ofcourse he won the world title against McCall. McCall's iron chin was so chin checked in the first round that he went into a shell after that. So ironic that he finally wins the he didn't really beat a top fighter to get. But he did KO Ferguson in a round who Ray Mercer lost to and won an SD against.

10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No, I'd never make such a case.

But basically I think by beating Shkor he nullifies the "he is too big for Marciano"

If someone is going to debate style and how they see the fight going, those debates should be made, imo, case by case.

11. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Didn't Williams take the fight on a 2 day notice against a dangerous slugger after being out of the gym for quite some time?
    Wasn't Williams a 20 years old kid at the time of this fight?
    Didn't Satterfield represent a dramatic increase in competition at the time?
    Didn't Williams' manager only take this fight because of a favor he owed the promotor?
    Even here, Williams' promoter is saying it's a risk and they only took the fight because His manager owed the promotor one. "Cleveland Williams a 20 year-old heavyweight with the potential ability of a champion, faces the first major test of his three year career tonight when he meets Bob Satterfield of Chicago in the feature 10-round bout at Miami Beach auditorium. Satterfield, a far more experienced fighter is a 7-5 favorite."

"Williams took the Satterfield match on short notice
    replacing Charley Doc Williams after the latter pulled out of the match."
    "His fighter is in perfect physical condition but has had very little sparring. Cleveland has done pretty of road work since beating Jones two weeks ago but did not do any sparring until Sunday."

"but Chris (promoter Dundee) was in a hole and I decided to take Satterfield. I'm as anxious to see this one as you are."

"So we took the gamble. I know Satterfield is a helluva puncher and he's got a big edge in experience."

Source: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MkRCSU1TY1dfWFJSMWhVRUc4dTBWNWN5dzF2SXBB Now I don't know about you, but anyone with an ounce of objectivity clearly sees he was green, untested, and not ready for such a big jump in competition. That being said he still managed to do well against Satterfield in winning the first round and hurting Satterfield by Satterfield's own admission (who also predicted he would be a future champion)
    What the hell was Rocky doing at this age? He hadn't even started boxing!
    I definitely wouldn't favor him over Williams from a couple years later. Hell he lost to some of Williams victims.
    You also think that this same Spinks hit as hard or harder than Ingo so I really don't care what you're "fairly certain" of.
    Are you being willfully ignorant? I already said I didn't pick Williams (as well as the others) to beat Marciano on the basis that they were better.
    An outright lie. Williams lost to one man smaller than Marciano, the aformentioned Satterfield in the beginning of his career when he was as I've said before, green, untested, and fed to the sharks early. All the men who handed Williams (excluding Satterfield) a loss weighed as follows.

Sylvester Jones: 213

Sonny Liston 212½

Ernie Terrell 198½ (6'6")

Muhammad Ali 212¾

Alvin Blue Lewis 218

Al Jones 232

Bob Cleroux 214½

Mac Foster 216 (213 in the rematch)

Jack O'Halloran 251

George Chuvalo 227

I need to see all these "smaller men" who beat Williams. None exist.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Glass City Cobra and mcvey like this.
  12. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I agree 100%.

13. outtieDrake

outtieDrake Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Marciano Fought at 192 at times, deontay wilder fights at 209 most his career.

why people bring up his weight I dunno.When you get near 200lb its all power the same there.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I never thought I'd find myself in complete agreement with you. I am a huge Rocky fan and will always love him as a fighter and human being but am also to recognize that unfortunately the time has come and gone for people like Rocky to rule the division.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  15. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Spot on

swagdelfadeel likes this.