Rocky Marciano vs Frank Bruno

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 8, 2020.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This is correct.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  2. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    We know that Marciano was a great heavyweight in the fifties.

We know that Bruno was very far short of being a great heavyweight in the 80s.

How Marciano would have done in the 80s is pure speculation.
    It would have been a fool who made Bruno favorite over a top light heavyweight like Michael Spinks quite frankly!
    This is factually untrue.

Go away and learn about the era.
    His size is all he has over Marciano quite frankly.

We are matching a guy who lost when ever he stepped up, against an all time great.

If being big and having a jab was enough to do it, they would have found somebody in his own era!

3. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I am 42 and I lived through all the disappointments of Bruno's career.
    Coetze was fat and disinterested, and no longer a force int eh division.

He was just there for a pay day.
    The problem is that it is nothing but losing efforts!

Every time this guy fights somebody who is a genuine player in the division, he gets beaten!

He was regarded as something of a national joke at the time!
    So there we have it then.

In his entire career he beat one serious contender!

One!

You also have to wonder whether he was lucky to catch McCall when he did, because his problems outside the ring are very well documented.

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Fixed it for you.

5. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Actually Valdez beat a younger Charles more convincingly than Marciano did and didn't struggle nearly as much, nor was he on the verge of a KO any time as Marciano was against an older and more shopworn Charles. Puts Rocky's wins against Charles (upon which much of his legacy is based upon) in perspective.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  6. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Do you think more of Bruno for giving Lewis a boxing lesson or think less of Lennox for getting outboxed by someone who feasted on no hopers?

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Whatever. All Williams had was a big punch and it's debatable about whether he hit harder than Marciano. He certainly wasn't a better fighter as no one in his own time would have seriously considered him as a better fighter or probably even a harder puncher than Marciano. Whether he was 20 years old or whether he took the fight on short notice, he still was at least at or over 200 pounds and had approximately 30 fights under his belt when 176 pound Satterfield sparked him.

And there's nothing saying that Satterfield wouldn't have beaten him in his prime. It's very possible. He didn't just lose some close decision, he was left unconscious for minutes at a time.

I also, barring a lucky punch, wouldn't pick Williams to beat a 1952 Walcott, June, 1954 Charles or a 1955 Archie Moore. He may have even been stopped.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    You're starting to sound like Choklab now (both in your dishonesty and inability to grasp a point). Marty Marshall beat a Liston who was older than the 20 year old Williams. Does a prime Rocky beat him based on that alone?
    "Satterfield was very impressed with Williams and rated him as a potential champion. "he's the first guy to hurt me with a left jab. "and the kid can hit. if he had ever nailed me he probably would have knocked me four rows back."

""he's got plenty of heart and that's the big thing. I hit him some real hard punches in the second round and he just came back"

Source: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/510...msTGHDA4kkoOhgjXxbKfW6Ja0z5E6sKHcgwvV_TdLXYZc

Seems like Williams put up quite the fight for a 20 year old last minute substitute against a dangerous fighter before getting overconfident. Tell me in your honest opinion (if even possible) do you think a 20 year old Marciano going in as a last minute substitute would fair better than Williams did?

"The fight was a corker while it lasted. Williams, a huge fellow and a game one won the first round with a jolting left jab -- following his pre-fight instructions perfectly."

"In the second round he stood up under two booming right hands from Satterfield."

"he tried to slug with Satterfield in the third round and landed a good left hook. He was shaken up by Satterfield's countering left hook and floored with an overhand right. He took an 8 count and got up"

Source: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/53148333/the-miami-news/

"but why didn't you stay behind that left? You had him going. In an other 3 rounds he'd have been all set up for you." Cleveland shrugged. "I thought I could knock him out Mr. Lou."

Source: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/53148390/the-miami-news/

Seems like Williams put up quite the fight for a 20 year old last minute substitute against a dangerous fighter and was maybe even on the verge of pulling off an upset before getting overconfident and excited after hurting his opponent (not uncommon among rookies) Tell me in your honest opinion (if even possible) do you think a 20 year old Marciano going in as a last minute substitute would fair better than Williams did?

Another blatant lie. The AP had him "After the fight it took almost a full minute to revive the 20 year old Tampa heavyweight." Source https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Cleveland_Williams_vs._Bob_Satterfield

Another ringside report has it at 30 seconds. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/51091634/the-miami-herald/

You do realize how easy it is to disprove your intentional lies? If I were in your shoes, I'd quit right now and save myself from further embarrassment.

I'd pick him to beat Charles at that stage seeing as the inferior Valdez more or less dominated a younger (though still past it) Charles. I also could see him fairing rather well against a 38 year old Moore, and a same-aged Walcott (unless of course you want to use the 20 Year old, last minute substitute version of The Big Cat which I wouldn't put past you seeing the dishonest bull**** you tried to pull in this thread) But due to styles, I'd give all of these men a better chance than Marciano even at those stages of their career. Not because they were better.

mcvey likes this.
  9. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Do you know what?! I think you are on something there! Do you know what else? They try to ignore that Rocky faced battle tested, seasoned HOF (Hall of Fame) former champions at their most experienced.!
    Do not listen to them if they try to say that Joe Louis was a shell of himself when he fight Rocky Marciano! If Joe Louis was so old how do you explain that he was able to compete as a high level wrestler and defeat Rocky Lee?! So if you want to you can say that Joe Louis actually beat a “Rocky“ in his last fight!Joe Louis would have easily beaten Rock Graziano and Sylvester Stallone if they tried to take him on.
    Early in Rocky Marciano’s career he took on only the best!It is rumored that they couldn’t find anyone to challenge him. So you know what they did? Who else could possibly provide a challenge for a Marciano? That’s right! Another Marciano! He fired his own brother!

Yeah but still . . .

swagdelfadeel and mcvey like this.
  10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Bruno took a lot of heavyweights punches without "collapsing",
    He was stopped 5 times in 45 fights.
    Tysonx2
    Lewis
    Witherspoon
    Smith
    All heavy punchers ,and only Smith ko'd him.
    Did Marciano ever take a shot from a fighter who could hit as hard as those 4?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    swagdelfadeel and Reinhardt like this.
  11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that it probably says more about Lewis's performance on the day, which he acknowledged to a have been "pretty average", to use his own words.

There was also a stylistic aspect, because Lewis tried to out Bruno Bruno.

mark ant likes this.
  12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Weren`t Hagler and Marciano a similar height?

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I don`t think Bruno could have taken Walcott`s power.

14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    At least Marciano has a legacy to put into perspective.

Bruno's legacy is basically the McCall fight.

Bear in mind that Marciano would not get any credit today, for beating somebody who was not ranked in the top ten, when the fight took place!

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson had a bigger bonestructure than Marciano, a thicker trunk and naturally bigger biceps.