Rocky Marciano vs Jerry quarry

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Grapefruit, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I don't see many if any beating Rocky under 200lbs like Mcvey stated. I also fail to see what's so modern about Quarry. The talent pool today is by no means the deepest it's ever been and fightersare carefully matched, rarely fighting the best available opposition and only conditioned to go 12 rounds. 'Light middleweights' are coming into the ring as light heavyweights 20 pounds heavier than what they are weighing in at the day before so the comparisons aren't even fair. I do understand what your saying, I like many others here just don't buy into it that much if at all.

2. jmazzeo

jmazzeo Kid Dynamite Full Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Your premise is based on rating Rock even or better then frazier. BAD premise. Frazier had 20 poinds on rock was much faster every bit as tough and unlike rock didnt cut easily. You think old man ezzard 180 something cut rock imagine what prime 205 Frazier would have done. It would have been like rock went thru meat grinder.

ETM and Grapefruit like this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    "Welcome" to the forum.

Grapefruit and RockyJim like this.
  4. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, my premise is based on what I believe Marciano would have done to Jerry. This is a Marciano vs Quarry thread. I believe that Marciano would have been even more punishing to Jerry than Frazier was, and as unfashionable an opinion as that is, it's all entirely subjective,...just as your criteria for your opinion is also entirely subjective as well.:)

Jackomano and RockyJim like this.
  5. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    No your trying to prove quarry couldnt beat Marciano cause he didn't outbox Frazier. Go back and review what you said. Im saying thats no measuring stick frazier was a level above Marciano. Quarry couldn't beat Frazier but could beat Marciano cause rock wasnt nearly as good as Joe.

6. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    That's only you're opinion once again, so we'll just agree to disagree, ok?;)...now why don't you just relax and enjoy the forum?

Jackomano, RockyJim and jowcol like this.
  7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes, enjoy the forum!

Let's you and I be friends.

8. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    Talent is very high today but the game is just screwed up. But we re not talking about just any fighters we re talking heavies. As in “unlimited division”. As in dont have a weigh limit to protect you. If your 5 10 and 184 1/2 with 68 reach and you come up against 6 4 and 240 with 80 81 reach who has more athletic ability more speed and more boxing skill. Someone who had 10 years of intense training with best trainers around before you even started fighting tell me what happens when you meet in the ring?

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Two thoughts

1 ) The fans are getting their monies worth.

2 ) Quarry had better skills and speed. Probably the best chin of all Marciano opponents as well, and perhaps hit as hard as say Walcott.

I like Marciano here, as he always brought his top effort and mental focus, and fought much smarter than Quarry did. Quarry had a low ring IQ and issues outside the ring. He boxed when he should have slugged and slugged when he should have boxed. My guess is the fight would look a bit like the 1st Frazier vs Quarry fight, with Rocky landing a bit harder than Joe did, but landing less often.

Marciano TKO 8 over Quarry.

10. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    I m good I m friends just good healthy debate! I just think people get blinded because want someone they like to be great They dont take all facts into consideration. I love Rocky and marvel at what he accomplished with what he had but cant deny what i see as reality.

11. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, my call exactly...and for the same reasons!

12. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Like Cobra said, we're discussing Marciano vs Quarry. Quarry wasn't 6 foot 4 240lbs with an 81 inch reach. He was 4 inches shorter, 40lbs lighter and had 9 inches less than that for reach. I get where you're coming from don't get me wrong, this just isn't the right thread for it.

red cobra likes this.
  13. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I agree with your 'eras' which I always 'trowel' out. :) But , given eras, could you consider a prime Rocky, circa, 1970 vs. a prime Jerry circa 1953?
    IMO Rock was clearly better and Jerry's power (as much as I love him) was 'slightly' overrated.
    My $0.02

RockyJim likes this.
  14. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    Not sure what 1970 rocky means?

15. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    The heavyweights of Quarry's era were considerably smaller than the top heavies of later eras so were not talking about a huge size gap. There is no reason to put Quarry ahead of Marcaino's opponents like Charles or Walcott. Walcott overall scored better wins than Quarry had less embarrassing losses and looks better on film. It's not clear what Quarry would bring to the table that Marciano has not seen before.

Also I don't find the eras argument compelling. Eddie Machen was a near-contemporary of Marciano and he beat Jerry Quarry when past his prime and went 10 rounds with Frazier.

Jackomano likes this.