Rocky Marciano vs Jerry quarry

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Grapefruit, Feb 23, 2018.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Rocky stops him after ten in a war. Quarry too brave and will get beat up.

2. jmazzeo

jmazzeo Kid Dynamite Full Member

Jul 3, 2012
    I like your analysis dont agree with all but thoughful. Heres my take. I disagree on size you said wadnt big dufferrnce Compare guys Rocky defrnded agaist height reach weight and age agaist top guys quarry fought ali frazier lyle shavers mac foster superior in all ways. Quarry had just turned 21 when he dropped a decdion to the vetern machen who 5 months later exteded frazier to 10 roinds giving him one if his toughest fights.

3. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    Almost. Machen was part of first crop of young black fighters brought up after segragation. No more color line. Best trainers and managers now come after you. No more having to throw fights or taking everything on short notice while working 2 jobs. Youve got some $ behind you. They came of age in mid late fifties. Marciano just missed them. They were a crop of faster more athletic bigger and better heavies clevlsnd willims z foley machen e terrel floyd patterson. Wont even go to Liston. Had marciano been in th mist of this new crop he probably never would have become champ certainly couldnt have held the title long if forced to defend sgainst them. Prime to prime Rock may have had a big victory here or there but hes not even middle of the pack. Machen and folley were going thru the fifties heavys like ht kvs thu butter. Floyd its said may have been ducking them after not yet in his prime at only 21 winning the title by totally outclassing then pulverizing only common opponent he and Rock had.

4. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I was reluctant to to bring up the Machen fight, because Quarry did get a lot better after this defeat, he even said the pressure was off him after the fight (assuming because he lost his 0) and he can start improving. At the same time, you bring up his victory over Lyle, who was at a similar stage to his career as Quarry was when he lost to Machen so it's a bit of a double standard if you want to big up Quarry for that Lyle win. Take into account that Machen had 1 win in his last 6 it doesn't boast any signs of impartiality.

Jackomano likes this.
  5. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Just that it's so difficult to judge 'eras'. I suggested matching a prime Jerry in 1953 (born circa 1928) vs. a prime 1970's Rock (born circa early 40's). If you want to consider a prime 53 Rock vs. a prime early 70's Jerry you have to consider, IMO, the beat down a prime early 70's Rock would administer to a prime 1953 Jerry based on my previous parameters.

6. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Jerry was a young up and coming 'greenie' when Machen out boxed him and an aging Eddie managed to extend a 'greenie' Joe until the final round. Eddie possessed much skill and finesse, even late in his career.

ETM and red cobra like this.
  7. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Marginal had too much stamina for quarry

8. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2018
    I agree that the fans get their monies worth. This is a fight. Quarry could attempt to come out boxing, but was easily baited into a war.

It took guys like Frazier to wear down Quarry. I don't think Marciano hits that hard.

Jerry against a guy smaller than him was unheard of. But I think Marciano edges a decision here, largely due to work rate and relentless pressure.

9. jmazzeo

Jul 3, 2012
    Yes but 10 rounds and gave frazier all could handle 5 months after quarry fight. Look at charles and wolcot after they fought Rocky they were done joe retired was almost 40 snd Charles record after Rock fights was abysmal.

10. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    No fighter ever seemed the same after fighting Rocky, that much is clear.

11. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005

You're right about Patterson but wrong about Marciano. Totally wrong. He was the real deal. Other than Liston, he soundily beats all those other men you listed. Marciano was an absolute animal. It took a really great bigger heavyweight to beat him.

12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Damn good fighter Eddie was...I appreciate the guy immensely. Forget the 1 round near death experience vs Ingo...that was one of those deals btw, in a rematch, that would have turned out like Griffith-Carter 2, if there ever was one...both Machen and Griffith would have avenged those losses IMO. Machen's stand vs Liston impresses me more and more with the years.

13. Combatesdeboxeo_

Combatesdeboxeo_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Quarry could lose by cuts but he would give to the slow rocky a boxing lesson , he took shots from harder punchers than marciano

juppity likes this.
  14. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Now I've learned that Marciano wasn't a hard puncher.

BUDW likes this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Marciano by knockout around the 12th, Quarry wasn't that cute to engage with the Rock

BUDW likes this.