Rocky Marciano vs. Jim Jeffries

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Dec 18, 2007.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Rocky Marciano, it was said sometimes put in up to fifteen miles of roadwork in preparation for fighting...It has also been said that he was the best conditioned of all the champions...how about Jefferies?
    25 rounds for the Heavyweight championship (No, I didn't miss the "1" key)....We are going into Mr Jefferies neighborhood this time...
    Who and why?

2. JAM Killer

JAM Killer Coming Through. Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I will take Jim Jefferies. They have similar styles, but Jim is way bigger.

3. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007
    At 25,I go with Jim.Sorry 'bout thay Rock.

4. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    To some's chagrin, I rate Marciano at least 10 spots higher, maybe more, all time than I do Jeffries. I still think the Rock gets beat up in this one. He would put up a good fight, for a little guy.

5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    The sharkey-jeffries fights show why rocky marciano would have beaten jeffries.

6. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    I dont think they have similiar styles at all. A 5'8 poor mans marciano in tom sharkey, gave jeffries two 25 round life or death battles down to the wire. the far more skilled, more durable, better punching marciano would do better and outpoint jeff.

7. Langford

Langford Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I think that Jeffries counters and hooks to the body and makes it a tougher night as the fight would wear on. Both Sharkey and Jeffries were busted up in their second fight (where Jeff had more experience) but Sharkey was really, really, busted up. Marciano was better than Sharkey but:

Broken rib that was sticking out of his rib cage? No way they continue that fight if fought in the last 85 years.

8. Mega Lamps

Mega Lamps Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Marciano by late stoppage after a great war.

9. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Jeffries was unusually athletic and strong for a fighter of his period. He could run a 50 yard dash in close to the same amount of time that the world champion sprinter could do it in 1910. He could jump six feet into the air which gave us an idea of how strong his legs were. He was 6'3" 225 Lbs of muscle during a time that most fighters weren't. But that's just the key though, his opponents didn't fit that description. Jeffries was overly accustomed to fighting men who were well under 200 lbs and didn't have the power or mobilty that fighters of 50 years later would posses. Marciano was far more multi dimensional in his style and capabilities. Jeffries fought a style that involved keeping his left hand out in front of him and his right hand planted at his side. Virtually all of his punches were telegraphed. The only reason why this worked for him, is that his foes could see his punches coming but didn't know how to do anything about it. Jeffries had a horrible defense, having his nose broken three times in his career, including once by a 165 Lb fighter. Marciano had far more upper body movement and hand speed than an aging Corbett or Fitszimmons, and could arguably punch harder with more meaningful delivery. In addition, Jeffries relied on using his wrestling techniques to tie people up under the old London prize rules style of fighting, which likely wouldn't have been as effective against Marciano who was a master in the clinches.

In the end, I see the much smaller but more modernly fit Marciano taking Jeffries apart. Jim had enormous heart and athleticism, but his defensive and offensive tactics would ultimately be his undoing against the only fighter who could best use them to his counter advantage.

10. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Marciano's style is all wrong for fighting against jeffries. Both guys know only one direction to fight and that is straight ahead, although Jeffries is a little more mobile laterally and this would cause marciano some troubles. the reality is though that with both coming forward, they are both there to be hit and it will end up in the clinches, which is where the fight will be won or lost.

Marciano will land the left hook a lot and is possibly a slightly better close puncher, but this is to an extent negated by jeffries longer reach and the fact that Jeffries extended grab jab will tie marciano up and make it difficult for marciano to take advantage of Jeffries low right guard. At the end of the day, expect Jeffries to bend Marciano's arms behind his back and to use this wrestling advantage in the clinches to decide the fight.

Saying all that, like the Sharkey fights, marciano will be competive and will land plenty of punishment. Unfortunately for Rocky though, Jeffries will not be stopped as easy as say an Ezzard Charles and there will be no knockout to save the day from the Rock.

Jeffries wins on points with both fighters taking a hell of a beating.

Interestingly, this fight would be a dream matchup, between the only two fighters ever to retire as undefeated heavyweight champions of the world.

11. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I like Marciano by close, bruising decision. Jeffries was taller and rangier, but he wasn't an "outside" fighter. He didn't control the tempo and batter his smaller opponents back with a jab. He was an inside fighter who took advantage of his size by physically wearing opponents down with his greater mass. But Marciano would not wear down. There was no one better at infighting in the trenches than Marciano, whose short arms worked to his advantage at that range. I'd say he had noticeably better single-punch and two-handed power and would be the busier man in the ring. Both of these guys had insane stamina and durability and the hearts of champions that would keep them in there brusing at each other all night. I see it going the distance, both guys ending up utterly disfigured, and Marciano winning a close decision.

12. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Not sure how much you know about Jeffries. These answers may help a little.

yes, I believe that this distance of roadwork was in Jeffries preparation for title fights.

yes this has been said about Jeffries. Also that he was the strongest the hardest hitting the fastest big man etc.

25 rounds or more are the only chance you really have of keeping this fight out of the judges (and thus controversy) for this fight. If you are being fair to all fighters you would need liberal rules (ie regardinding the clinches particularly), longer rounds, since the object of boxing really is to knock the other person out and not just to "survive and score points". I think a 25 round fight is quite fare in the circumstances.

13. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    actually look at the photos. he was more like 6'0 1/2. he looked no taller than 5'11 fitzsimmons

14. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Jeffries would win. He was bigger, faster, stronger, more durable, and better in just about every area of prize fighting. Marciano's whisker's are un-tested vs a hitter. Very few people who saw Marciano felt he was better then Jeffries.

15. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    That's great, too bad that one isn't on watchable film though.