Rocky Marciano vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The_Hawk_2, Mar 18, 2015.

1. The_Hawk_2

The_Hawk_2 Lineal WW Champion Full Member

Feb 19, 2015
    15 rounds, who wins and how?

2. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    One of the best ever "mythical match-ups" that can be made. I've discussed this one since I was a little kid, I'm 40 now. I've picked Marciano and I've picked Frazier, it's that kind of fight.

With that said, Frazier is gonna be about 15-20 Lbs heavier, and not much more than that because he knows he will have to be in the best condition of his life. Their height and reach is similar with Frazier having an edge in reach and just a slight edge in height... if any.

Frazier had wins over Bonavena x2, Mathis, Ellis x2, Doug Jones, Quarry x2, Bugner, Chuvalo, Machen, Foster, Ali 1 out of 3, and others. He lost to Foreman x2.

Marciano had wins over LaStarza x 2. Layne, Louis, Walcott x2, Charles x2, Moore, and others. He never lost and was only down twice in 49 pro fights. He won both of those fights by KO, KO13 Walcott and KO9 Moore.

I can't pick right now.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Frazier is faster, and busier with the left.

Marciano hits harder, and is better with the right.

It might come down to who was physically stronger, because the stronger man would back the weaker up, and take his game.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    When a guy is faster and bigger, that's hard.

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes, but I don't think this really qualifies.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano had a very good left hook too.Check out the Mathews fight and the hooks he nailed Louis with.:think

7. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

And this is why I see Frazier winning a classic bout. Rocky would have Joe down maybe a couple of times but 'Smoke' eventually burns the 'Rock'

8. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    This fight is a classic for me.

I've always came up with the same conclusion. Frazier by KO or decision. Rocky was a tempo fighter and had to sit down on his punches. Frazier's shear come forward aggression keeps the " Rock" off balance enough that he cant get the power in his punches to take out Joe.

In the ultimate battle of sluggers and crowders, Frazier is No 1, Marcianno is No 2.

I still have Marciano rated higher all-time.

Dance84 likes this.
  9. BillB

BillB Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I pick Marciano.
    I think Frazier is overrated on this forum.
    This is a fight I would bet money on.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I pick Rocky too but I wouldn't bet much on it, his two handed power and better chin might very well be offset by Frazier's greater speed and size.

11. gentleman jim

gentleman jim gentleman jim Full Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I lean toward Frazier tho not wholeheartedly but I think his speed advantage would be the deciding factor. Plus his crowding relentless come forward style wouldn't allow Rocky to get set to throw his best punches while Frazier's faster hands and bob and weave would make a difficult target for Marciano to land squarely on. Joe was able to slip a lot of Ali's punches in their 1st fight and they were coming from a fast man with an 80' reach. I don't think Joe would have a more difficult time avoiding punches from a fighter with a 67' reach. Rocky will have to catch Joe in the 1st few rounds with something big while Frazier is warming up so to speak. You had to either outbox Joe or flat out stop him and I don't see Rocky out boxing him. A brutal battle regardless of who wins.

lloydturnip likes this.
  12. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Frazier always goes to his left to set up his hook. When you dip to your left, you lean into the other guy's right hand. Marciano could hit with his right hand over the top and with the uppercut. Also, Frazier will need to step around to land that hook, he doesn't have the long arms to reach over Marciano.
    I am pretty certain that marciano would stop Frazier, either with big punches or by out-lasting him, though frazier winning would not be the biggest suprise.

13. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I like Frazier in this fight. I think Marciano might put him down once or twice early but I think in the end Frazier prevails either on points or a late knock out. Frazier speed would be the difference I don't really see anyone who doesn't have a good size advantage being able to deal with Smokin Joe not even Marciano...

14. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    My thoughts exactly.....:good

15. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I don't think reach will play into this at all. Of course, in the first Quarry fight, frazier got backed out of exchanges in the first round and 'boxed' more. If he did that with marciano, that would be showing weakness and he'd get steamrolled.
    Also, he slipped Ali's punches and maybe that is because Ali had a longer reach, was taller, and was punching down at him? That was the whole point of the rope strung across the ring that Eddie Furch used to teach him that movement. how does that translate to punches being thrown by a guy shorter than you, and bringing them up from under and around the sides as well?