Rocky Marciano vs Larry Holmes, with poll

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Nov 30, 2021.

Who wins?

1. Holmes wins, and I've had at least one boxing match

44.9%
  2. Holmes wins, and I've never had a boxing match

41.0%
  3. Marciano wins, and I've had at least one boxing match

7.7%
  4. Marciano wins, and I've never had a boxing match

3.8%
  5. I voted by mistake, so I'm changing my answer to this option

2.6%
  1. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Holmes. While he may not have had Marciano's fanatical training background, at his best he could go a hard fifteen rounds with gas in the tank as well as any HW in history. His reach, the classic jab, serviceable right hand, ring generalship ... too many tools. The Shavers right hand that dropped him was about as straight and hard a punch you can throw, and Holmes got up from it, survived the round and came back to stop Earnie. I can't see Rocky throwing anything better, so Holmes would survive it, and he can't outbox Larry. Stoppage on cuts, or UD

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  2. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger Active Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Always been a big Holmes fan one of the best ever. That being said he has major problems with the Rock. Larry was a sucker for a right hand, maybe the only real flaw he had outside of not having a big punch. Joe Frazier gave Holmes major problems in sparring and Rocky would do much worse. Larryś best chance is a stoppage on cuts, otherwise he takes a beating and is kod in 10.

Balder and Gazelle Punch like this.
  3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    1. You're a ****ing idiot if you don't think Marciano could beat ANY fighter with an 84 inch reach.

2. In any case Holmes' didn't even have an 84 inch reach, so I don't know why you brought it up.

4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    The "ancient" Norton had just won the championship in one of the best performances of his career, was clearly robbed against Ali and had put together an excellent string of wins, and was 34, 4 years younger than 38 year old versions of Walcott and Moorer, 2 of Rocky's best opponent, but you'll say those two were prime fighters and in excellent shape.

"C fighter" Shavers was actually ranked #5 in the world and far more threatening and hit significantly harder than D level guys like Shkor and Vingo that you hilariously cited. That right hand he dropped on Holmes would probably KO 90% of fighters in history.

This is the most maddening thing about Rocky fans. He is held to a different standard. It's ok for him to fight old or low-level fighters, but such opponents are crucified on other people's resumes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    As my old coach told me after snapping my head back silly and stopping me dead in my tracks 3 rounds in a row in sparring, it's a "tricky punch". You follow it with your eyes and attempt to dodge or block so you can step in, but the angle changes at the last split second. It can be thrown to blind you, as a whip, a stiff power punch, going low then suddenly aiming high (and vice versa), or you can even flick it then follow up with yet another comboing a jab into a jab.

"He who rules with his left, rules the world".

Tonto62 likes this.
  6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I never rated Vingo and Shkor w the likes of Shavers. You anti Rocky people just see red sometimes. I stated their reach was probably comparable to Holmes. That’s it. And I’ll even take the L on that one because we don’t know what their reach was. Norton also was coming off what could have been construed as a robbery of his own against Young. It goes both ways.

the calling Norton ancient was just a dig at the Marciano haters who like to throw aroung that word despite Marcianos opponents being younger on average then the likes of Holmes.

cross_trainer likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Kobe - What championship winning performance are you referring to?

8. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    He beat Young which was elevated to a championship fight due to Spinks ducking.

This was arguably Norton at his best career wise.

9. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Thanks. I didn’t know that was on his tomb stone. How cool is the internet in providing such proofs? However, like Liston, did Moore later apply for a birth certificate? Perhaps it is a requirement to show a DOB exactly as it has been legally recorded?

Ken Norton claimed a 1945 YOB (most likely in defiance of his actual birth certificate) for the longest time before it was more commonly accepted that he was born in 1943. I wonder what Kenny’s inscription reads.

10. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I voted for Holmes, but really, I don't think the default assumption for Vingo, Shkor, or any other fighter should be that they had freakishly stubby, Marcianesque T-Rex arms.

Given that we are working with limited evidence either way, maybe whoever's alleging that they're oddballs should have some justification for that?

Pugguy and Gazelle Punch like this.
  11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...3IEHeHJA8wQv7IFegQIARAF&biw=414&bih=715&dpr=2

12. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Since the last poll of this nature, I went out and got 3 pro fights under my belt. 3-0, 3 KOs.

Alright, alright, stop harassing me, it isn’t true.

Djanders’ most humble revelation simply made me feel highly inadequate. If the pic is his, clearly a good style of a man with no tell tale marks. Obviously he was good.

My arm chair, no nothing self tells me Holmes can make this a remote battle with the jab, constant missiles from afar. A call to arms - 81” v 67”. If they are not a sufficient deterrent for the whole campaign, then Larry also has a readied right cross and nasty uppercut if Rocky brings the front line too close.

Having said all this, if anyone was prone to defying their chances on “paper”, it was Marciano. If he could get inside and land punches of significance first to body and then head, it would be very impressive and change things a bit but it doesn’t seem likely to me.

Jock strap? At Larry’s age now, maybe we’re talking incontinence pads, an even more retch worthy thought. I like Larry but boy howdy doody he knew exactly how to get the public offside.

Entaowed and cross_trainer like this.
  13. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Now that's some impressive commitment to proving people wrong on the internet. I salute you, sir.

As to the poll format,, I'm thinking of making them a more regular feature any time I post a vs thread. Feel free to steal the idea. It'll give us just a little more information to work with whenever these fantasy matchups come up.

Pugguy likes this.
  14. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Also, yes, @djanders is awesome.

And if his boxing experience is what it sounded like, then he counts as having had boxing matches...which has the curious consequence that as of this post, EVERY poster who voted for Marciano has had at least one boxing match.

Not sure it means anything, given the small numbers. But interesting, neh?

Pugguy likes this.
  15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    LOL. I am like George Plimpton, gotta be hands on.

Excellent point re djanders due upgrade in status. Personally I think Djanders qualifies for at least one boxing match. Can you jig the poll to reflect same or would you be guilty of committing some sort of voting fraud with Rudy G., bleeding from the hair, coming for you? Seriously though, boxing experience or lack thereof is a nice qualifier. Perhaps too complicated but age bracketing could make it interesting also, revealing potential age related era preference and what not.