Rocky Marciano vs. Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Dr Z

Dr Z VK will be champ again Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Well I'm not quite the trainer Kenny Weldon is, but I do beleive Ali was very skilled at throwing punches while moving backwards.

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
  3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Ali, by wide UD ....:good

4. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    ALI BY UD OR LATE ROUND STOPPAGE ON CUTS. This would be no cakewalk though, but Ali's height,reach and speed would be too much for the Rock. Now throw Jack Dempsey in there and you have a different story. Bob and weave with a vicious left hook/right hand combo and more speed = one tough night for Ali. Anyone out there in cyberland agree?

5. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I think Dempsey with his bob and weave and POWERFUL HOOK,Marciano with his off timing swarms and six inch punches to the arms shoulders and head,double left hook, Louis with his killer instinct and power/combo's and hook all had a very good chance of having Ali's number. It would not be easy IMO but each one of these guys has a good shot of beating the other on a given night.Dont think Marciano would not be a very rough opponent for Ali, Joe Frazier said" Louis and Marciano would beat Ali and Ali could not rope-a -dope Marciano because Rocky would pummel his arms" Ali was one of the greats but he was not Superman as many who post here would like to think. a fifteen round fight with Marciano was never any fun for anyone.

6. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Marciano never faced anyone like Ali. Never. Walcott could box, but he is a totally different style than Ali. The same way that Shane Mosley and Buddy McGirt are different. The same way that Mike McCallum and Roy Jones are different. Well saying same way is not really accurate, but my point is valid.

Ali would be able to light Marciano up in a way he had never seen before. His size and speed would just be too much to overcome. Some have said Ali couldn't run all night. Maybe he couldn't, but he would be able to run some of the night. He would also be able to handle himself when pressed against the ropes. It is not like he would just lay there and not fight back. Not if we are talking a prime Ali. I am not even trying to use this mythical prime Ali some have conjured. He did not start trying the just lay and not do anything method until after he faced Foreman.

Ali takes this one.

7. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

Ali never faced anyone like Marciano, Frazier was the closest but did not have 2 fisted power and was not as awkward as the Rock fighting,short and leaning back,Marciano delived some freakish punches to good defensive fighters, who would match up to the Rock, Cooper, Spinks,Foreman had power but NO stamina,Norton only looked good against non-punchers. You would also see a lot of Left hooks and weird looking power shots from the Rock but Ali never faced a man with ALL the attributes of Marciano, Stamina, late power, two fisted power,Heart,will to win,recup power,and Killer instinct all wrapped up into one. It would be a great fight but not an easy one for anyone

8. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Marciano never faced anyone like Frazier or Foreman. Walcott was 38 or 39 when Marciano fought him. Do you know why there has hardly been any champions at that age? Weak era springs to mind.

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    All due love and respect to Rocky but I can't see how he troubles Ali. The toll exacted on Rocky to get where he needed to be would be terrible. If for some reason Rocky didn't cut during the fight (seems unlikely) with his pride, stamina and chin he would take the most horrible beating ever seen in the ring.

Ali stops Rocky on cuts, I hope.

10. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Rocky Could Hit Much Harder Than Frazier,rocky Ko 10 -12 Rounds

11. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    So could Foreman ... so could Liston ... so could Shavers ...

Backing Rocky to do something to Ali that was NEVER done in his distinguished career against top competition is gonna need much more depth than a mere "Rocky could hit much harder than Frazier".

Frazier's left is probably as hard as any punch that Rocky threw, especially with the speed and whip he got into it, combined with the drive through his core that he utilised. If not as hard, it's a joke to even suggest that "Rocky could hit much harder" ... on what evidence?

12. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
    This is a no brainer

Ali by wide UD or TKO

13. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Ali is able to outbox him to win a UD 10-5 or 9-6.

14. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    I like both fighters but styilistically I'd favor Rocky in this matchup. Ali would control the fight for a few rounds with his superior handspeed but by the mid rounds, Rock would have figured him out and consistantly slipped Ali's jab and continuesly worked his way inside and worked Ali with hard bodypunches in attempt to take his legs away and Rock's stamina, workrate and pressure win a razor thin decision. Probably as close as 8-7

Ali moves too well to find himself along the ropes taking too many punches..but he may get dropped by a big right hand somewhere in the fight but of course, would get up and finish the fight. Ali's handspeed and sharp punching would probably slice up Rocks face.

15. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

:lol: