Rocky Marciano vs Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DrederickTatum, Mar 27, 2020.

1. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    I personally think this is a nightmare matchup for both fighters.

Fury struggled with McDermott, who in my opinion fights like a C tier Marciano albeit taller.

Marciano struggled with Ezzard Charles and Walcott, who are both slick movers with solid defense, much like Fury.

Obviously size is a massive factor, Marciano never fought anyone as big as Tyson and that alone almost makes me want to write him off, but I really feel that Marcianos pressure, heart and determination would be too much for fury.

Marciano winner by KO in the mid to late rounds, after losing almost every round before.

Who have you guys got?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Richard M Murrieta and RockyJim like this.
  2. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    ROCKY BY 8TH ROUND KO. 1 PUNCH. MAYBE OFF THE TOP RUNG.

3. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    It is no nightmare for Fury. It is a nightmare only for marciano and he would lose this fight sure.
    Fury 6'9. marciano 5'10
    Fury 270 pounds. Marciano 185

If anybody is going to tell me that marciano was the stronger man here h2h i would laugh for days.
    Fury is stronger in the clinch and he would overpower Rocky like i would do with a mw.
    Rocky is slow even for his small size, the funny thing is that Fury is faster despite being much much bigger.. Marciano could not land on the chin of Fury and sorry but he is not beating him by decision. Fury is not a power puncher FOR HIS SIZE. BUT H2H I GUARANTEE YOU THAT HE HITS AT LEAST AS HARD AS JOE WALCOTT.
    Fury by wiiide ud or even by tko by cuts.
    The funny thing is that even the Rocky fans know that marciano is not winning this fight but never will admit it

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Fury would stop him in a 1 sided show

When he was 21 before stopping him in the rematch

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Sorry what?

TipNom, escudo, Fergy and 2 others like this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Fury knows how to use his reach and he has a monumental advantage. He'd keep Marciano at arm's length and force him back whenever he felt crowded. He'd jab, turn and flummox him for as long as wanted, and if Fury felt so inclined, he'd walk him down Kronk style and possibly grind a late round stoppage out.

None of this, "if he can't reach his head he'll go to the body", either. That's just bull****. Fury's lead would keep Marciano too far away as is. He ain't getting the opportunities to impose his workrate AND doesn't hit hard enough to stop him.

Fury wins. Anyway he pleases. Moral being: Marciano is too small.

It's not even a given Marciano has more heart or is tougher than Fury...

Toney F*** U, TipNom, escudo and 8 others like this.
  7. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    BE prepare to be called size queen hahaha. one thing is ignoring 10 pounds. but ignoring 85lbs of weight difference and almost 1 foot tall ADDED TO THE QUALITY OF FURY is ridiculous

8. DrederickTatum

Mar 20, 2020
    I got Patterson confused with Jersey Joe Walcott, honest mistake lol.
    Will edit the post.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Fury jabs him into oblivion. How does Marciano reach fury with the reach and height difference and fury's footspeed? Fury can land 3 jabs a round and win the round.

Unfair matchup

10. DrederickTatum

Mar 20, 2020
    Okay I hear you, but I do have a couple arguments to that.
    First off you say Fury is better in the clinch, and you may be right, but trying to tie up a guy that much smaller than you is kinda awkward, let's be honest, lots of angles to exploit that bigger guy isn't used to, and trying to engage a clinch with someone that much smaller than you makes some openings in the guard.
    The height difference is big,but so was it for Margarito and Pacquiao, for Ruiz and Joshua, for Mike tyson a bunch of times, Chagaev and Valuev, Rigondeaux and Amagasa etc.

I know Fury is more skillful than most, if not all of these big guys, but I'm saying the precedent is there.
    On the flipside I think Marciano was better than most of the smaller guys in these matchups too.

Fury probably hits way harder than Jersey Joe, but he does not have the timing that Jersey Joe had, and that I think would be hard to dispute.

Let's be honest, and I'm a huge Fury fan, he doesn't really like being on the inside.
    That's where Rocky made his bread and butter.

I also think Rocky's head movement on the way inside is very underrated, his noggin was never on the centre line, coming in from a sloouching angle, low centre of gravity.
    Punching down leaves you exposed to that lead hook.

Maybe you're right, still a nightmare matchup IMO.

P.S saying what you would do, doesn't make people think you're tough. Just saying.

RockyJim likes this.
  11. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    What type of nonsense is it

12. DrederickTatum

Mar 20, 2020
    Good analysis.

To be honest, I actually think Fury is bit chinny purely based on speculation.
    I've heard a bunch of gym stories of him getting flatlined, and saw a video somewhere on youtube once of him getting KO'd pretty bad.
    Some of the stuff he admitted to.
    Based on that I think Marciano had enough firepower to put him down.

You're right, it's not a given he has more heart, but based on what we've seen so far from both men, I think Rocky was the more determined man.

RockyJim likes this.
  13. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    This is a very interesting fight. This isn’t the first time this match up was brought up. Fury in no way shape or form ever fought an animal like Marciano. Nothing remotely close. That’s what separates Marciano (and Frazier Tyson and Dempsey) from the pack. He was animal. If Fury tried getting dirty holding to much he might get a head butt and low blow for his efforts. Fury is so awesome at using his height to his advantage and had excellent foot work for someone so big he would give marciano nightmares. Buttt that only goes so far w Marciano. He really didn’t care where he hit you. Something modern fighters could learn from. Most opponents had a hard time putting their hands up to defend themselves in the later rounds because he would punish their arms helping him neutralize the jab. Someone mentioned Fury was faster....no way lol. Also Marciano NEVER had a fight stopped on cuts. These fantasy scenarios that imagine him bleeding out are blown out of proportion. 12 round fight I’d favor Fury 15 Marciano.

14. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    Dumb afirmation not only because he showed that he had a very good chin but your motive " based on speculation"

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Here we have a ridiculous situation. Two fighters who cannot possibly exist as they were in each others time zone.

Guys as big as Fury existed in Marcianos day...they just couldn’t exist as top fighters because what they needed in order to be great just was not around then.

Unless a fighter was physically suited to boxing, Boxing training as it was then produced Gangly Guys with thin arms and long necks. There was nothing around then to change that.

Guys born like Marciano would not peak as light as they were in the 1950s. Too much has changed.

So this is two guys who would never fight because each cannot exist at the same time as they were.