Rocky Marciano vs Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DrederickTatum, Mar 27, 2020.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Rocky had to hide bananas under his bed from Goldman.

Bummy Davis and Gazelle Punch like this.
  2. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    During his 60s peak he was as light as 201 1/2 and 206 pounds. Given as a heavyweight he had no weight to make I find it pretty unlikely he was drying out for fights like fighters today.

Today we have guys adding up to 23 pounds between weigh ins and actual fights so cruiserweights could be entering the ring as high as the 220s.

If your interested I can post some weigh in and fight time weights for comparison.

3. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Marciano+his bananas would beat Fury

Fury's Love Handles likes this.
  4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Obviously behind on Marcianos food intake. Blueberries were his true secret weapon

reznick and Charlietf like this.
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ali was 21 & 22 years old for those fights ,still maturing when he fought Jones at201lbs, 5 lbs heavier for the next one against Cooper.After the second Cooper fight for which he trained down to be light because Cooper was quick and had floored him in their 1st fight he came in at nearly 8lb s heavier for London. Mature Ali was212lbs

JC40, George Crowcroft and Charlietf like this.
  6. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

Goldman was a short bantamweight about 5 '1 which was short in comparison to bantamweight Champ Ruben Olivares at 5'6 or Alex Arguello who was 5'10 - still even the most ardent Marciano hater has to give Charlie some credit but I think a lot of the credit goes to the unique strengths of Marciano which like fighter like Sam Langford 5'7, Tom Sharkey, 5'8, are rare. 49-0 43 KO's against the very best of his day ATG beating the men who beat the men - even the keyboard scientists suffering from MARCIANO Derangement syndrome can not change that, try as they may

I think Tyson may have come close as a sole Champion -( no split tiles) if he didn't get derailed in his conditioning. Stewart had success with the tall fighter but not always - Vlad was ko'd by a man 4 inches shorter - Lennox Ko'd by a man 3 1/2 inches shorter while Manny was the coach- Hearns got stopped by shorter men SRL and Ko'd by rhythm breaker Barkley

like I said genious is genius but not always the same method

I haven't seen any genius on this board picking current fights including you - If you cant pick current battles what make you think you can pick back in a time machine?

Speculation is masterbation but while we are at it- Joe Frazier KO'd Lennox Lewis in 4 and Tyson outpointed Ali dropping him 2X in the Speculation/masterbation tournement

choklab likes this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The earliest we can consider him at his peak is 1967 when he was 212-213. His greatest result was at 216 (something I have argued for years).

Tho you say it was unlikely that Ali was drying out, many here insist that Marciano, training a decade earlier, was drying out.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    If its your contention that, because he was short 5'1"Goldman became adept at beating taller guys and learnt how to handle them ,then Im sorry this is another fail .
    Goldman's most famous opponents are
    George Chaney5'1.5."
    Kid Williams 5'1"
    Johnny Coulon5'1"
    You've come all the way up to the 70's to find a tall bantam, I expect you'll now name Al Brown, Goldman of course was fighting back in the old days[1904 -1918 ,] so your examples are not only irrelevant but mystifying .How many appreciably taller than Goldman do you think were the guys he fought ?
    Goldman trained loads of guys of all shapes and sizes ,the fact that he himself was a short man hasn't any bearing on Marciano.Goldman was a training genius ,but not because he was short .Was Steward, who happened to train some tall guys tall? I havent a clue where you are going with this talk of Masturbation[no e] tournaments but I suspect I'm not missing anything!

ps Arguello was a feather,super feather, and lightweight.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Seamus likes this.
  9. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

Arguello started as a bantamweight - fact- he won the Nicaraguan bantamweight title in his 19th pro fight - It wasn't until his 37th fight that he attempted to fight for the featherweight title and lose to Champ 5'6 Ernesto Marcel

My respect for great fighters does not outweigh the energy of the Marciano haters despite the fact their small weak voices can not change what he has accomplished - Its done- its finished - hes an ATG

choklab and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Your'e going back to an 18/ 19 years old kid? At what weights did Arguello achieve prominence?
    Has anyone on this thread said Marciano is not an ATG?
    Suggesting that Marciano would not beat a man nearly a foot taller and 88lbs heavier with a reach that surpasses his by17 inches ! Does not make you a hater, in fact most would say it makes you a realist!
    You are not just pissing in the wind,you are attempting to make an argument against a case that has not been put!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I will invoke my dear, departed grandmother one more time... "Save your breath for cooling your tea."

These people are idolaters, nothing more.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano occupies a singular position in boxing.He is inviolable. No remark of the slightest negative nature can be allowed to pass without some rabid Rockista galloping to Rocky's defence, shouting out," hater," as he does so !

13. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    He uses the same tactics when saying Tyson & Bowe fought under 200 lbs and expects not to get pulled on it.

Stupid ****ing analogy.

JC40 and mcvey like this.
  14. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Marciano is all some people have sadly.

Fury's Love Handles, mcvey and Seamus like this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    If anyone wishes to have a fighter to admire .Marciano is an admirable choice ,but he was not Zeus,Clark Kent,Spiderman or any other amalgam of Heroes and Gods .
    Once when I suggested he might be boxing's greatest over achiever,making what in my misguided way, I thought was a compliment,I was immediately castigated for attacking him!