Rocky Marciano vs Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DrederickTatum, Mar 27, 2020.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    yes about that, Those gangly tall men with protruding Adam’s apples, long necks and thin arms were utterly useless at fighting until the steroid era.

Marciano relied on hitting the other man more times than you are going to hit him too.

do you see Joe Frazier or Mike Tyson as too small?

I don’t see a bendy bean pole throwing Marciano around. Without the modern advances to functionally fill out unusually tall men in a way that is beneficial for Boxing, regular traditional training would produce nothing but cannon fodder for classic sized heavyweights. Without advances in building these guys up It would be an entirely hapless debacle.cruel to watch.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    For once in your life can you just answer the question that has been asked of you.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I see Frazier as being 20lbs heavier than Marciano, appreciably faster of both hand and foot ,with better head movement,and a better resistance to cuts.
    I see Tyson as being a good 30lbs heavier than Marciano with two fisted ,top end power,far faster hands, and a better chin.
    And I see both as proven against big heavyweights of class!
    I see Abe Simon,Buddy Baer,Jess Willard,Ray Impelletiere, as big men with big arms, normal sized necks with not an Adam's apple in sight.
    I see you as doing what you usually do deliberately going off on a tangent and wilfully refusing to address the subject.And in this I have a lot of company!
    In short I see you refusing to pick a winner out of Marciano and Fury as they ACTUALLY WERE.Which rather smacks of cowardice.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Wilder said Fury had feather fists,how did that work out for him?
    Fury isn't a top end banger, but anytime a 270lbs man is landing on one 90lbs lighter the smaller man is going to feel it! Fury has 21 kos in30 fights for a near68% ko record and he has been punching modern sized heavyweights not geriatric cruisers!
    How many 200lbs+ men of any class ,who were prime, has Marciano on his record?

5. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    20*

mcvey likes this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Fury has stopped nearly 68% of his opponents and they weren't old cruiserweights
    Cunningham at 6'3" was 210lbs around the same weight as Max Baer, Ali and Liston ,18lbs heavier than Walcott and 2 years younger,22lbs heavier than Moore and 3/4 years younger. In his latest fight he had lost a split dec to the number 5 ranked heavyweight Tomasz Adamek ,in an eliminator for the IBF Heavyweight title.

Twenty fight Fury was floored but got up and won.
    Marciano in his 21st fight faced Ted Lowry 177lbs 5'10", Lowry had lost his last 7 fights.
    Lowry took him the distance ,had him in trouble and many thought he was robbed.

Spot the difference?

DrederickTatum likes this.
  7. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Several times 35

8. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Pretty sure everyone Marciano fought was bigger with presumed more skill. Didn’t quite work out for the big un

choklab likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Sixteen of his opponents were lighter, including several of his more important adversaries.
    Charles 1st fight
    Lastarza
    Mathews
    Reynolds

Moore was equal

Any "Big Uns" 6'9 " 273lbs?

DrederickTatum likes this.
  10. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    "Ya Think???

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Nope no one that big. How many past champs were there at that size? Shouldn’t everyone have been that big?
    That’s where this theory gets blown to bits. Past history says men that big weren’t able to properly compete. Take steroids away from Fury and he’s a journey man you’ve never heard of.

Brockton Rock and choklab like this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Can you imagine how much better it might have been for Abe, Buddy and Ray impelletiere if they had what Tyson Furry has benefitted from in this day and age?

Those tall guys all fell short against numerous classic sized heavyweights. Jess Willard, who was the best among the ones you mentioned, lost to 179lb gunboat Smith.

I kinda think if it was commonplace for the pre steroid giants lose to 180 pounders.. it gives a lot of scope for Rocky against these drug free giants of today.

Brockton Rock and Gazelle Punch like this.
  13. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    It's not just the short hairdresser, there are a few that do it.
    Change or move the goalposts, basically anything rather than admit he may lose.

Pathetic hero worship.

mcvey likes this.
  14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I’m not short, and I am not a hairdresser. I am a barber.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes 20lbs thank you!

Charlietf likes this.