Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Liquorice, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Every once in a while it's good to remind ourselves & look back at past greats, I'm not much of an old timers guy (I used to be when I first got into the sport but kinda got with the times after that..) though I sometimes get the urge to (when the sport goes a little quiet) look up the old black & whites & I always end up on a Marciano HL.. Never has a fighter IMO looked so spellbinding when slowed down on grainy black & white footage as the Rock! It's artistic savagery... Silent Brutality! My favourite HW of all time:

This content is protected

Relentless machine. Kept coming, took 4 to land 1 but what a one it was! Not graceful or the most skilled, quite limited perhaps but all the more impressive for that in some ways..

I could have posted it in the classic but I chose not to :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    He is my favorite. Absolutely great. Muhammad Ali and Marciano did the computer fights when Ali was banned. Forgive me if you know this already. They sparred numerous rounds over a period of days. Ali withdrew from the agreement, He returned after a week or two, if memory serves. After he had retired he gave an interview and talked about it. He said ( paraphrasing) "I'm retired now and got no reason to bs about it....Marciano hit so hard I just didn't want to go through it." He said pride was what brought him back. Ali also said that Marciano deserved the great status that he had earned.

Perkin Warbeck, pistal47 and red_roo like this.
  3. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Cheers. Ye I knew of all that, its been years since I really got into all that historical side of boxing but watching that hl reminded me of how wrapped up in the present we can get. Astonishing to me that Marciano only had a 68' reach & was only a pro for 8 years...

red_roo likes this.
  4. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    Love the Marciano/ Archie Moore fight. Grueling. Met Archie Moore once. I was a kid and my older brother took me to the "rassling" matches. Moore was a referee for one of the bouts. Turned a corner and there he was. He was shocked that I knew about his matches. I was a fan at a young age. People today tend to sell some of the old greats short. Great post.

5. guncho

guncho next champion! Full Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Today some fighters only start steping up competion after 8 years.

6. red_roo

red_roo Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Jack Johnson , Rocky Marciano , Muhammad Ali r my favourite old time boxer's just amazing what they did an how they did it , an everything about their live's as well ..

Liquorice and don owens like this.
  7. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler -- the two champs from THE City of Champions -- Brockton, MA. My two favorite fighters of all time. Some really good posts in this thread.

8. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    This is a great thread because I don't think we have ever done one on Marciano before.

In all seriousness, one of my favs.

9. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Great champion. Naysayers always use his size against him, which can't be changed making their argument simple and flawed. He never lost, always found a way to win, his stamina would be better than all the HWs of today by far, granite chin and two fisted KO power lasting 15 rounds.

10. LeftRightDownThePipe

LeftRightDownThePipe Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Awesome fighter and a great ambassador of the sport. Carried himself in a very humble fashion and with class.

This content is protected

11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Another fan here. Never has so much been done with so little. If you could draw up a blueprint for a size and reach that would doom a heavy to failure it would be Rocky. Yet, no ****s given. He turned his disadvantages into advantages and single-mindedly blew them all away. Hat tip.

* Also, hat tip to Reznick who made that video. That dude makes probably the best boxing clips Ive seen, full stop.

12. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    I'm a few miles south of Brockton, Hagler deserves a statue right along with Rocky.

13. red_roo

red_roo Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Wicked love it big time .

LeftRightDownThePipe likes this.
  14. KO Artist

KO Artist Do not attempt to adjust your TV Full Member

Aug 29, 2018
    What a feint at 4.45 ! Just to land that right hand brutal KO. That was absolutely class and a perfect example of how to feint to land that KO punch. The other guy got completely suckered into it.
    Rocky may not be the most skilled in terms of versatility, but he did what he did very well. Not really watched too much of him over recent years, so I feel the need to go back and watch more.

Liquorice and BCS8 like this.
  15. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    That's awesome bro and I couldnt agree more. Hes my favorite fighter of all time.