Rocky Marciano's so called punching power

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Shawn Kemp, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Shawn Kemp

Shawn Kemp Guest

Don't the intelligent people of the forum find it hilarious that because Maricano knocked out cruiser weights like Jersey Joe Walcott who was knocked out various times before even fighting Marciano and blown up middleweights with fragile chins like Archie Moore that it ment he had great heavyweight punching power?

He never knocked out a true heavyweight in his career or actually ever fought a real true heavyweights but you constantly see his ******ed fans telling you he is one of if not the hardest punching heavyweights of all time.

Marciano's power was so great it took him 8 or 9 pounds to knock out a 40 year old Archie Moore who had already been stopped various times including in the 1st round before. Great power huh? Could you imagine Roy Jones Jr going 9 rounds getting hit flush by George Foreman or Lennox Lewis? Hell no.

Anybody who makes a thread about Marciano after this should be banned.

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I have never understood why Rocky Marciano's undefeated record threatens and riles so many.

He is probably the single fighter whose haters on internet forums are most extreme.

3. Shawn Kemp

Shawn Kemp Guest

Good thing I have people like Janitor on ignore. I said intelligent boxing fans so if you are a Marciano fan then clearly I am not talking about you.

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    He punched out almost every tooth in Rex Lyne's mouth and sent his gum guard into the crowd.
    It take massive power to do that. If Layne was 6'6 240+ it wouldn't of made any difference.

5. janwalshs

janwalshs Active Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2010

So? Wilfred Benitez knocked out Maurice Hope with one overhand right. Not only knocked him out cold for several minutes but also knocked out some teeth in the process. Was Benitez a monster puncher? Of course not. It just shows that anyone can be punched out if they're hit right and in the right circumstances.

mcvey, Johnny_B and Bronze Tiger like this.
  6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't think Marciano's power is realy open to question.

He broke Roland LaStarda's arm.

Knocked out Rex Laynes entire front row of teeth.

More than one of his oponents ended up with tumours from his punches.

Most common oponents said that he hit harder than Joe Louis.

Indeed the fact that he as a 5' 11'' 185lb swarmer got as far as he did, suggests that he must have had some sort of equalizer.

Kell Macabe, Dance84, Grips and 14 others like this.
  7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    When I read your fould mouthed rants about Rocky Marciano, I think ah what an inteligent boxing fan.

In fact, do you even have any boxing opinions outside of an irrational hatred of Rocky Marciano?

8. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I think Marciano was every bit the fighter Brian Nielsen was. Brian Nielsen also went undefeated in his first 49 bouts, also retired with 43 knockouts, also beat former champions like Larry Holmes, Tim Witherspoon, Tony Tubbs, Carlos De Leon, and Bonecrusher Smith. But I guess people don't rate him because his chin is suspect after Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield knocked him out.

9. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    "So called punching power"? SK Had you seen Rocky live you wouldn't have posted this heresy.

10. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

This content is protected

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    We are discussing his power here, not how he would fare against other champions.

Lets face it, you get 188 pound fighters with freakish power from time to time.

12. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Putting over 185lbs of body weight behind a punch is enough to knock out any man of any size.
    Rocky had a special gift of using leverage to generate power and his short reach maximised the energy on impact.
    The shorter the punch has to travel , the more force that will be landed.

He used to punch a special 275 pound heavy bag around like it was nothing.

If any modern fighter took a body assault from Rocky they'd wince into the fetal position before being counted out and carried out of the ring on a gurney.

13. Shawn Kemp

Shawn Kemp Guest

Lol Rex Layne weighed 180 ppunds but white Marciano fans are going to say he was 6'6 240? Funny stuff.

Johnny_B likes this.
  14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

RockyJim and lloydturnip like this.
  15. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    The bag used bob from side to side. I thought one would naturally assume that. Why would he have such a big bag if he couldn't move it.

Layne weight 200 pound when he fought Rock.

lloydturnip likes this.