Rocky Marciano's so called punching power

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Shawn Kemp, Jun 27, 2013.

1. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    So you are ging to tell me, as a measurement of KO%, you´re taking the 76% discussing MT https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/474 ? A tad more than Lou Savarese, Ken Norton, Fury or Ibragimov?

71% for Hearns https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/303 and 76 for Shavers https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/320 , no difference to Alex Stewart ?

Bob Foster for another 71% https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/9000 ?

What about rating Joe Fraziers ability to stop a fight when he did the jojo in a 2-round fight getting stopped himself? Ahh yep, that makes perfect sense....

Or 59% for Roberto Duran https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/80 ?
    Bert Cooper 48% https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/1596
    :risas3:

ALL of these punchers can be measures much better compared to jabbers/boxers by just comparing KOs/wins as seen on the left side of boxrecs win data. Frank Bruno stopped 38 guys in 40 wins, Foreman stopped 68 fighters in 76 wins. I won´t inculde Vitali staying in his corner due to a rotator cuff tear or Duran fighting until the age of 108 for a KO measurement because its just easy to let boxrec do the math.
    Nonsense.

Johnny_B likes this.
  2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    You’re irrational. Why bother arguing with someone who thinks a fighter with the highest Ko percentage has no power? Ignoring the testimony of men he fought and his record. Even if you don’t think he had that much power you must admit he had power in both hands. And crazy stamina with it. In your mind Marciano would have been better off losing to Charles instead of going 15 w him. It off sets his Ko percentage u know lol irrational at best low iq at worst

Brockton Rock likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not a fan of KO% as a measure, as I have made clear in the past, however:

Rocky Marciano was a lineal heavyweight champion, who had several title defenses, and several fights with #1 ranked Ring Magazine contenders.

On this basis we would have expected his KO% to fall off somewhat.

the fact that it didn't, suggests that he was a pretty fearsome puncher.

4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    1) Again, I pointed out that his "proove of power = stopping opponents quick" absolutely collapsed when he stepped up his game. No comp. to Foreman, Tyson and others. Nevertheless he stopped these guys by breaking them down. But thats not talking classic power, its an attrition game.

2) Do srsly want to take his first 30 fights into account for his KO%? You´ve seen the game of Alex Stewart until he fought Holyfield? There were rumors about his punching abilities too back then https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/443
    What would you expect a young Holyfield to do fighting Rockys opponents? Be honest here. No one is talking about ATG power discussing Evander Holyfield.

My conclusion: Rocky could throw alot of punches to stop his opponents late. But he needed that time. Thats not the same than the game of an KO-artist with quick KOs into his title fights.

Johnny_B likes this.
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Why thank you kind Sir!

6. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Yes it would, he wouldn't have reached him that good and the power would have dissipated a bit due to the height difference.

7. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Let's not forget that in the 2 biggest fights in Sonny Liston career...as champion...HE QUIT WHILE SITTING ON HIS STOOL in Miami in Feb.1964 against the light hitting Cassius Clay...and then TAKING A DIVE against the light hitting Cassius Clay up in Maine in May 1965...no QUIT in Marciano!!! Mike Tyson said:"I find it unacceptable that Sonny didn't get up off his stool...he should have carried on! Robert Lypsyte said:"If your the Heavyweight Champion...you DIE trying! He just sat there...he gave up!" You can cherry pick moments..but you've got to take the whole career into account! Rocky hit like a dump trunk on steroids. Almost killing Carmine Vingo...Roland LaStarza had surgery to repair bone damage and ruptured blood vessels in his arms...(they turned into blood clots)...it took some fighters months to get over a beating by Marciano! Yeah,...Rocky's power is overrated...and then you woke up!!!

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  8. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    What's that got to do with anything ?!
    This is just about punching power.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'd take issue with Marciano not being in his prime for the Cokkell & Moore fights.Asked at his retirement press conference if he was retiring because he was past his best he seemed surprised and said, no he felt he still had a couple of good fights in him. Those fans who excuse his less than scintillating performances against the two mentioned also wish us to believe that conversely Walcott at 38 &39 ,Charles at 33,and Moore at39/41, [depending on whether you believe him or his Mother,] were squarely in the middle of theirs!

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Vingo was a 189lbs novice.Lastarza had the elbow problems before the 2nd Marciano fight.
    What Liston did or didn't do is totally irrelevant to this thread.

11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    There’s a difference between peak and slightly past it. He was def a step slower come those fights (I think he fought very well the Moore fight as well). But watch that fight and watch Matthews fight or Layne. The physical decline was def there. Slightly past his best is a better description then say out of prime. Is that fair?

12. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    You really are a total embarrassment.
    Didn't John Thomas reel off your usual lists of repeated bollocks the other week.​

13. BlackCloud

Nov 22, 2012
    He has an agenda with big Black, powerful heavyweights.Similar to another agenda driven buffoon we have here.

14. BlackCloud

Nov 22, 2012
    Thanks for the like George Crowcroft.

Unfortunately, he is too cowardly to reply to anyone yet has the balls to accuse Liston of quitting.

15. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Anyone can inflict damage with a clean perfect punch.

The big punchers are the ones who inflict damage when their feet aren't set, they don't have the right space, they don't get a full extension or good snap, or they didn't land on the button.

Foreman and Marciano are the punchers that come to mind when I think of that sort of power. They hurt, dropped, or even knocked out guys without the perfect punch on the button. And when they did land that perfect punch it was usually a knock out.