Rodrigo Valdez vs Dick Tiger

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, May 28, 2020.

1. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Can't call a winner here but I think Tiger would take advantage of Valdez's tendency to scrap. Thoughts?

2. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Now this would be a war. I like Tiger in this won but would not be surprised if Valdez pulled it out. He would definitely need to move. Toe to toe with a prime Tiger is usually not a good thing. I love Gene Fullmer's quote about trading punches with Tiger. "I wouldn't even trade Stamps with him let alone punches".

mcvey, Bronze Tiger, Tin_Ribs and 2 others like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Rodrigo Valdes owns thre wins over Bad Bennie Briscoe, even kayoing him in their second fight, KO 7, which was for the vacant WBC Woeld Middleweight Title in 1974. He had given the great Carlos Monzon two hard fights despite losing both by unanimous decision, even became the second man in Monzon's career to deck him. Rodrigo possessed a dynamite right hand, he was a counter puncher as well, he was quick. But he could be hurt as well, tasting the canvas against Carlos Monzon in their first fight in 1976, in round 14, for Carlos to secure the decision, and to unify the WBA and WBC Titles. D. Tiger was one tough fighter, defeating the likes of Gene Fullmer, Ruben Hurricane Carter, and Joey Giardello. Tiger would bore in on Valdes, looking to batter the body of Rodrigo, who would stay back, looking to counter a relentless Tiger. D. Tiger would bust up Valdes early, even rattle him, but Valdes would eventually wear down Tiger, forcing a stoppage in round 14.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Quadruple Asterisk Tiger was a helluva fighter.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    This was done not that long ago.
    Picked Valdez then and sticking with it.

6. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    that was Giardello. Fullmer would never say that.

7. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Both great fighters, but given how Valdez knocked out Briscoe, I could see him doing the same to Tiger in the middle rounds. Tiger and Briscoe had several similarities. A lot of ebbs and flows with Tiger ahead at the time of the knockout in round 7.

8. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ain't neither of them getting knocked out despite what Valdez was able to do to Briscoe. Lightning in a bottle. Still, maybe my all-time fave fantasy fight at middle that would probably register on the Richter Scale. Both excelled against aggression because of their work-rate, chin, countering accuracy, punch slipping and ability to brawl with finesse. I like Tiger's size, monstrous strength, firmer grounding and quicker hands over Valdez's huge power and slightly more fluid/pleasing upper body movement. Brutal though. I think Terry Downes said that every punch from Tiger was like being hit with a sack of coal despite his unspectacular stoppage ratio.

9. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I could settle for a draw, man. It is interesting, Tiger's power that is. Watching him, he looked like a big puncher, and I tend to think of him as one, but when you look at the record, he doesn't have an impressive knockout-to-win ratio like you said. Maybe the reason he won so many decisions was because he faced so many quality opponents.

Bronze Tiger and Tin_Ribs like this.
  10. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The toughness and durability of opponents was a factor for sure, plus he didn't always seem to up the ante and go for the kill when he had a man hurt. Not a great finisher despite his accuracy. Yeah, he looks really heavy handed in film.

I can hack people digging a Valdez win tbh, it's a reasonable call.

11. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Really, they are pretty similar as well. Both Tiger and Valdez were good punchers (with either hand), they were fast-handed, could move around well, could last a while, and could both last. Both were good boxers as well as good punchers.

mcvey, Bronze Tiger and Tin_Ribs like this.
  12. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    It'd be a war for the ages, and as Tin said it's reasonable to pick Valdez, but I think Tiger is the safer pick.

Tiger by competitive, yet clear decision.

13. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Valdez was more versatile. Id pick him. He also fought like a meaner Griffith, being his stablemate, so yeah Id pick Valdez.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not sure any come forward middleweight in history beats Tiger. I'll take him by decision in a brutal one.

Richard M Murrieta and Tin_Ribs like this.