Roger Lee Trust "The Black Mamba" Mayweather

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Mar 24, 2020.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Let me try cross-pollinating from Classic to General, see if fools wanna get educated. :deal:

2. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    wow this is great, thank you!

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Cheers, been working on it the week since he passed.

4. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Loved Mayweather. Watched all his prime fights.

Great jab, freakishly long reach for 130-140 lbs. Excellent power. If he could keep you outside, knew how to command his desired pace.

But guys with good chins with speed and power who could get inside his reach, could do serious damage as he could be out muscled on the inside and, of ccourse, had a weak chin. He had good movement but often seemed gassed if forced to move a lot on those spinly legs.

His chin was better at 140 than it had been at 130 and 135. It was a division he grew into and was ultimately his natural weight class.

He took some serious punches from Harold Brazier, who was a decent puncher at 140 lbs. Some nice two way action in the later rounds.

He was also able to survive the onslought of a young Kostya Tzyu and whilr he was outworked and had to fight off the ropes for long stretches as his shot legs could not support sustained movement, he landed plenty of right hands and was never in danger of being stopped.

Another impresseve showing was the split decision over preennial 130 lb contender Mario Azabache Martinez at the Olympic Auditorium in LA. It was a give and take war with Martinez busy and able to get inside, but Mayweather met him head on and was able to match him for the duration. A very atypical Mayweather fight.

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006

Good assessment. :thumbsup:

I too was impressed with the way he made the critics eat their words by refusing to lay down for Tszyu. His "this boy can't fight!" invective hurled to ringside observers during a clinch was maybe a little harsh :sisi1, but he did expose at the very least that, while talented and dangerous, Thunder from Down Under was still but a mortal.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    escudo likes this.
  7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Good but not great fighter,and a pretty shitty human being from what I have read.Rather like his brother and nephew.

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Take it you mean
    the Melissa St. Vil incident? Well, if that is your threshold for deciding someone is a shitty human being, I have some bad news for you re: a slew of high-profile boxers and coaches over the years... many of whom I'm sure you've seen fit to discuss on this forum without feeling any compulsion to necessarily highlight their shitty deeds or nature as preface to discussions of their in-ring exploits, or as summary definitions of who & what they were...

I actually like "Guard Your Grill"/"Little Miss Tyson" quite a bit. I've been a fan of hers (and follower on social media) for many years. And yeah, she did get bloodily savaged by Roger throwing essentially a man-sized tantrum, and there's no refuting that or excusing his inability to control his anger. This isn't some damsel in distress, however - some helpless battered woman. She was half Roger's age when the incident occurred - a trained pro fighter smack in her prime (and campaigning at the very weight that Roger did in his own, ironically). She had fired him as her coach, because, in her own words, she didn't want to be 'under the Mayweather' shadow and seen as some gimmicky hanger-on dabbling in female boxing and making her name off theirs. Which, you know, fair enough. That alone didn't send Roger into his tizzy, however. Before she reconsidered his services, he paid for a condo to be shared by her and stablemate Cornelius Lock - with the understanding that he was taking care of them as his charges while mentoring them and molding their careers. When she quit the camp, she continued squatting with Lock against Roger's wishes. He came to evict her in person, and she responded in a flare-up of Haitian temper by smashing a lamp in his face. That didn't warrant his response (cracking her ribs with uppercuts and choking her) but suffice to say, it was a volatile situation that had already escalated into a physical one before the assault of which he is doubtless guilty.

End of the day, not a good look for Roger. (nor is his lesser-known 2006 arrest for a scuffle with his ex mother-in-law),

...which is well and fine, but I'll presume to not expect to see you posting about the pugilistic merits of SRR, or Gerald McClellan, Carlos Monzón, or Edwin Valero - all of whom, as matters of public record, are demonstrably far shittier than Roger (or indeed, any of his immediate family), if we're going to write him off in a thread about his identify between the ropes in one sentence making out his misdeeds to be disqualifying factors in celebrating his legacy.

10. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Very thorough will get around to looking at most of this later.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nope I don't disqualify any fighters ability because he happened to be a shithouse.
    Roger Mayweather punched 66 years old Lou Duva in the face,and beat up the grandmother of his daughter.so in my book he's a **** .Doesn't mean he wasn't a very good fighter .I enjoyed his fights, he had an excellent right hand.
    I think Mike Tyson is a **** too.and McClellan, Ray Robinson Monzon , Valero,Hamed . and many others I'm interested in what they did in the ring, and as boxers I judge them on their results there .That doesnt mean I am not allowed to add I think they are shitty human beings.

12. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Lou had it coming

He lost his temper and rushed at Roger after the decision in the Paz fight. He was mad about Roger punching after the bell throughout the fight, though if you watch the fight, it was mostly initiated by Paz.

Also, Judah started the violent con nfrontation, Roger just finished it.

I got the impression Roger didn't take any s&it whereas Zab came across as a spoiled punk.

Zab was the posterboy of good but not great fighter with a bad attitude.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    He was a bad man. To this day I love the shut down and beat down of the most annoying fighter of my generation. Vinnie Pazienza

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Im no fan of Duva I think he was a BS liability in a corner. Judah is another one I think is a ****. The fighter I most detest at the moment is Broner.He is a first class ****.

15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Commenting to bump and find later on.