Román González starting to chunk up in between training camps.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Oct 13, 2016.

Movin' on up - lily gilding or icing on HOF cake?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2017.
  1. González enjoys middling success at bantam, loses to cream of the crop.

36.4%
  2. González sweeps up at bantam, given the current picture there, but that is his ceiling.

18.2%
  3. González flops out at bantam losing to someone embarrassing or getting thrashed by an elite.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. González can be elite as high as even super bantam.

45.5%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Turning into a big chocolaty glob, like a miniature Hatton.

González is pushing thirty, in fairness, so it makes sense he would begin to experience a slowdown in metabolism and start to plateau and finally settle on a comfortable "mature adulthood" fighting weight - ie this current blow-up after Cuadras may be an indication that he is outgrowing super fly almost immediately upon arrival, but I also don't expect him to climb too much higher at this point. Bantam, maybe 122, but that'll be about it unless he starts adding excess bulk (a'la Juan Manuel Márquez in his first doomed foray to welter) to chase paydays in the feather range, fighting much naturally larger men. Ill-advised considering I think his power will only barely carry up to bantam, with a reduction in speed to boot.

It'd be a shame if he didn't linger at 115 long enough to link up with Inoue or rematch Estrada, but the former is only 23 so their paths could still well cross somewhere further north. I've also never been as rabidly interested to see Chocolatito vs. Gallo II as some. It was close and fun last time around but the better man was effectively proven.

How do we reckon he fares versus Yamanaka, Tete, or the belt holding Englishmen? Could he nab a world title straight off in his debut?

toxedo911 likes this.
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Can't see him having much success north of superfly.

3. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Do you know what a standard Nicaraguan diet consist of? Fried beans & rice, fried plantain, fried pork, fried cheese, fried plantain chips and pop. Plus he is ducking the rematch for more money but I don't expect anyone to blast him because he is not a Haymon fighter. Hopefully he moves up so that Rigo can ruin him like he did Donaire.

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    You'd favor all four titlists?

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :lol:

I wish there was a Nicaragüense restaurant in my hood.

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    "Titlist", **** dem titles!

Put it this way - he's good enough to win a big fight higher up, but not without taking his lumps. He's older for his size, as you've alluded to, he got banged up last time out, when these brilliant fluid punchers go they go all at once.

So I think it's asking for it if he moves up, he'll get laid out sooner rather than later. I was wondering a bit about Yamanaka before he blew out Moreno, having said that. I'd pick Yamanaka but edge of your seat stuff isn't it?

OvidsExile likes this.
  7. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I've been planning an in depth long form article on how I think he'll fare at Super Flyweight against guys like Rungvisai, Eto, Inoue, Ishida, Ancajas, Concepcion and Cuadras in a rematch, and its not going to be all that positive, so I personally think he gets flattened at Bantamweight. Yamanaka, Tete, Tapales are all capable of KOing Roman, even Kameda, Sor Singyu and Payano could be problematic, and McDonnell I won't count out, he's getting better with every showing, while his power isn't all that impressive, neither is Cuadras tbh and look what he did to Roman's face. Basically I think Roman is screwed at this point.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Roman's always marked up a bit on the occasions he was hit, tbf.

9. Bad News Brit

Bad News Brit Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 25, 2016
    He has been doing it for quite a while.

He looks fairly tubby in the face at the Viloria [url]http://assets.rappler.com/612F469A6EA84F6BAE882D2B94A4B421/img/45201F2DBE314B079897CD85BAE64C69/viloria-gonzalez-20151016_45201F2DBE314B079897CD85BAE64C69.jpg[/url] and Sosa [url]http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000DZviJ.90gJc/fit=1000x750/Roman-Gonzalez-vs-Edgar-Sosa-Los-Angeles-Press-Conference-150401-DB-3556.jpg[/url] pressers.

Maybe he's always been that way but there's never anyone to take pictures at his press conferences.

But yeah, if he goes up too far north he might find himself out of his depth (Donaire is a good example of this who was looking increasingly less dominating the further he went). I do think he does posses a chin good enough to handle one more weight class. If he moved up now and took on Yamanaka, I would say Yamanaka is long enough in the tooth that I'd slightly Gonzalez. And Yamanaka is the clear number 1 Batamweight so would for sure rank him above Arguello (which I think should be a realistic goal for him at this stage).

Inoue and the Estrada and Cudras rematches can all happen at Batamweight as they are all younger than him and I think 3lbs will not really make all the much difference as the jump between Jr Flyweight and Flyweight, is bigger than that

10. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Yeah but he took a real beating against Cuadras, there's marking up and there's getting beaten up, he took a beating in the last 5 rounds against Carlos. Like years off of someone's career type, and the same will happen against guys like Inoue, Rungvisai and Yamanaka.

11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    "tubby in the face" :lol: so harsh

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah, and Tete might just, in conjunction with his size, have a few too many unorthodox tricks up his sleeve considering how textbook (perfect, but textbook, being a disciple of Argüello) our lad is.

That said, I can't imagine he couldn't rather breezily pilfer some hardware off McDonnell (even staring down the barrel of a major reach disadvantage) or especially Haskins. The more divisions in which he's decorated, the stronger his case for Canastota in his 1st eligible year.

13. Henke67

Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I'd be really disappointed if he left this weight class quickly. Even though he was the better man v Estrada, I think Gallo has improved a little since then (injuries notwithstanding) and he did move down in weight for their fight, so I think there's a real reason to go at it again.

The Inoue fight is obviously one we need to see and I'd prefer to see it within the year, nefore there's danger of Gonzalez slipping.

I wouldn't be keen on him jumping up again but he's so good that I wouldn't count him out against the best in that division either.

14. Bad News Brit

Bad News Brit Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Easy route to a belt in that division is Rau'shee Warren.

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Problem is that Inoue, again, is only 23 and therefore we might face a situation where HE needs to abandon ship at super fly in the near future...in which case it would absolutely suck if González didn't follow. That fight >>>>>>>> Estrada II.