Ron Lyle vs the following

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 17, 2020.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Lyle who beat Shavers fights 1919 Jack Dempsey and 1952 Rocky Marciano. Could they handle the 6'3 220 pound power puncher?

mr. magoo likes this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I don't think so, and let's remember Lyle was not such a bad boxer either. I think he would pound out a decision over Dempsey in an exciting slugfest, and I think he would stop Marciano late in another exciting, but more one-sided slugfest. If Rocky were bigger or Lyle a little smaller, I might favor Maricano, but I think the size differential is just too much. Not to mention Lyle's style is in his favor in a fight w/ Marciano.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why a decision over Dempsey but a stoppage over Rocky?

4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Styles LaMotta, styles. Dempsey's a puncher. He would stick w/ Lyle imo. Marciano's a puncher too, but he's no quick starter like Dempsey. I believe Lyle would take advantage of that and stop Marciano perhaps.

5. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    Styles?Dempsey is a puncher but Marciano is even a better one.Even Dempsey stated he was better puncher than he was.Marciano could start quick and slow.He could rush like Dempsey buth without many pincbes to knock his opponents.He knocked Matthews/Walcott in 2 rounds when he is very serious and thag shows me he is more dangerous than Dempsey.He also had better chim,heart and body strenght than Dempsey.
    Marciano would beat Lyle easier than Dempsey likely at late rounds.
    Marciano is better than old Quarry and unshaped and rusty Foreman and they still beat him.
    Marciano would beat Lyle much easier.Size doesn't matter because no contender beat top ATG fighter not even in dreams.
    Lyle was bigger but So was Louis and Shkor who were same size as Lyle but also ended being on canvas for long time.
    Lyle would try to knock Marciano early but would failed and he would be gassed after 5 rounds because his stamina.I could understand that Lyle was good but he sems hyped because Foreman fight where also lost.That fight proves he had a heart but not that he could take Marciano since Quarry who was nit good as Marciano beat Lyle and Bugner who was feather fisted outsluged Lyle.
    They were no Marciano and again no contender beats champion even if he gave some champs tiugh fight.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and Devon like this.
  6. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Sure Marciano hit harder, but he's still a slow starter. I think it's possible that Lyle almost knocks Marciano out early and probably floors him a couple times, and Marciano beat him late, but I go w/ Lyle.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    Lets see this:
    Chin-Marciano
    Power-Marciano
    Heart-Marciano
    Stamina-Marciano
    Speed-Lyle
    Opposition/record-Marciano
    5-1 here and Lyle could not knock him cold.
    Lyle didn't knock Quarry and Bonavena and Marciano is much better than them.Only man that Lyle knocked was Shavers but Lyle got long count and Shavers wasn't known for durability.
    I go for Marciano late for sure

8. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    The rock was a light heavyweight. Lyle stops him

9. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Marciano never fought anyone near Lyle's size though, unless you count the ancient Joe Louis, who was still smaller than Lyle. The next biggest guy would be Walcott at 6 foot and not even 200 pounds! Lyle has like a 30 pound weight advantage, also Marciano never fought anyone even close with Lyle's punching power, he always beat good boxers like Walcott, Charles, and Moore, which although they were powerful, cannot be compared to Lyle's punching power.

10. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    The Rock was cruiser bigger than Patterson.
    Lyle couldn't stop smaller and weaker puncher who was old Jerry Quarry and struggled with old Bonavena who was poor man Marciano.
    Lyle lost slugfest almost against Bugner who was not known to be puncher.
    Marciano stops Lyle late

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    Louis ... 218 and 6'1".
    Lee Savold ... 200 and 6'.
    Jerry Jackson ... 254.
    Pat Connolly ... 213 and 6'5".
    Gilley Ferron ... 205.
    Johnny Shkor ... 225 and 6'5".
    Bill Hardeman ... 207
    Artie Donato ... 202
    Eldridge Eatman ... 207
    Keene Simmons ... 201
    Bill Wilson ... 229 and 6'2".
    All won by KO.
    Joe Louis was not smaller than Lyle.He was same height but wider man than Lyle with same punching power and even greater speed and stamina even at that age.
    Lyle was 212-215 and Marciano was 187-190 that is not that much difference.

Jackomano likes this.
  12. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012

Against Shavers Lyle was about 216 lbs and in 1951 Rocky could destroy a maybe 214 lbs Louis.It's isn't a big weight difference.

13. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Louis was an inch shorter than Lyle, and all the other guys u mentioned aside from Savold were complete trash.

14. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    I don't knkw where you saw that because Lyle is not tall as Foreman who was 6ft3/4 and he was taller than Lyle who was 6ft2.
    Joe Louis is also 6ft2 and alot wider man than Lyle.In picture where Foreman stands with 60 years old Joe Louis, Joe seems almost as tall as Foreman and is alot Wider compared to Lyle.
    Shkor was very good fighter and contender fought Bivins,Walcott,Marciano,Baksi.....
    And he was alot bigger than Lyle bjt still got KOed by Marciano.
    Rocky only had problem with slick boxers but with guys like Lyle it would be very easy after 6 rounds.

Jackomano likes this.
  15. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Lyle was 6 foot 3, George just had taller hair.