Rooting for Groves but wouldn't put any money on it.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ellerbe, May 24, 2017.

1. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Jack turned out to be way better than any of us imagined but I still don't have that much trust in Groves. I do think he will pull it off and I hope he does too. He was a good talent until Froch ruined his future.

2. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I actually think he's probably about done at the top level. The two losses to Froch hurt his ego badly and showed his frailties. The coach he had for Froch 2 and after was truly awful as well so that won't have helped. I expect him to get a win Saturday but i don't think he he will have a long time at the top of the game

3. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Groves just lost his way a little lads. The break up with Booth slowed down his career obviously but people forget the ability he showed boxing rings around Froch before the premature stoppage.

I also had him up on points in wembley before he got taken out by a shot that would have taken a horse out. Fitzpatrick was clearly inept too, not good enough for world level.

Yet he was unlucky to lose to Badou Jack despite having Fitzpatrick in his corner. He also has a good win over DeGale on his record when both were young fighters.

With Shane McGuigan in his corner I think he'll do great things. He's now got the right trainer, all the ability in the world and great experience under his belt while still relatively young for a super middleweight.

I think George will win and I also fancy him to go on and dominate the division for a couple of years at least.

4. matt007

matt007 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2010
    His last few fight showed he is good enough to win a title. I think he will win this by decision. 8-4 or 7-5.

5. Bax183

Bax183 Member Full Member

May 21, 2017
    It's now or never for Groves. Probably his best chance as well. I think he will do it with a late stoppage.

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Chudinov isnt hard to hit, but groves has had stamina issues. I tihnk groves will win a close decision, scary moments late on.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  7. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    This is how I pretty much see it unless Groves can get rid of him early.

8. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    groves can hit, but i think chudinov has pretty decent chin

9. pne buz

pne buz Active Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Hope he wins,wold like to see groves degale again.

10. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    He should win but I don't think he's the fighter he was. Froch beat the bravado out of him in Wembley

11. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    He's still a very good fighter. He'll win this world title.

12. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Groves is a top fighter, but it is very much now or never... he has to grab this chance with both hands.

Those saying he has stamina issues, can't say I agree. He beat Degale over 12 rounds, he threw over 1000 punches against Rebrasse over 12 rounds and after getting caught cold against Badou Jack he came back into the fight to drop a Split Decision away from home in the States against a Mayweather fighter on a Mayweather undercard.

Just because he's a pastey white ginger kid he reddens up easily, he has rounds in the tank. His style is also based on being explosive... that wide stance, sharp jab and big right hand down the pipe. Obviously as a fight nears the end, you will be less explosive and look a little more ragged.

pow and Here's Johnny like this.
  13. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    going for groves all the way, I've never understood it when people say george is looking shot etc. he has been beat 3 times twice against the best super middleweight in the division at the time and after watching badou jack vs degale imo the dodgy decision against him in vegas is looking even better now. now he has a coach and team he can trust i see him winning comfortably on points:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Furey likes this.
  14. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Am not a fan of groves, but he will win this well by k.o. Me rounds. In fact I have done a groves Spence double.

15. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    McGuigan is on a bad run though this year with both Carl Frampton and David Haye losing in fights that they were favoured to win. I hope Groves wins to stop it being a unwanted hat trick of losses for the McGuigan camp.