Route back for Brook?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Southpaw Slayer, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Southpaw Slayer

Southpaw Slayer New Member banned Full Member

May 26, 2017
    I know haters are gonna say there is no way back for him and he should retire but that's what they also said about Bellew after the Stevenson loss, and Bellew argubably has a bigger profile than Stevenson now.

Should Brook have successful surgery and be able to return to the ring he should look to get out perhaps on someone's undercard before the end of the year or early next year at 154 and try and get ranked with the WBO being that Miguel Cotto is fighting for the vacant title shortly.

The guys ranked at 3 and 4 in the WBO Denis Hogan and Stephan Horvath have no buisness there and Brook should dispatch them in short order. Then that will open up options again for Brook:

1- If Khan is open to it, he could drop to 147 one last time and fight him in a football stadium over the summer.

2- Of all the guys in the WBO rankings, Brook would bring the most money for Cotto, being that he'd bring British TV interest, and would probably be PPV on both sides of the pond.

3- If Cotto decides to retire, he would probably end up in line to fight for the vacant belt against the Williams-Smith winner- and both BT and Sky will probably bid over the odds for that fight to get in on their channel.

2. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    I agree that he should move up to 154, he cant beat thurman or spence so there's no point killing himself to make weight unless there is a big money fight vs khan or pacman.
    At 154 he has to go for the WBO, Cotto is a big money fight and a winnable fight and like you said if cotto retires then a fight with smith or williams could be quite big in the Uk for the vacant title.
    I don't think he has a chance against charlo, lara or hurd. The 2 times he has faced power punchers (spence & GGG) he has had his face broken and got stopped and those guys hit harder than the shawn porters etc. But who knows maybe brook will be a monster at 154 and clean it up, i doubt it though.

3. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Go to 154 but do not come back down to 147 ever again. No 147 for Khan. He has to go to 154 and be driven to be a champion at that division. Fights in between again at 147 would do no good for Brook.

Pez and Twentyman like this.
  4. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I think he can definitely beat Thurman, but that fight is unrealistic as Thurman won't fight again for a while and neither would Brook be likely to get a shot (or deserve one).

I don't really think there is time for him to rebuild at 147, there is only the Khan fight really. Smith at 154 would be a good earner for both fighters and Brook would be a big favourite IMO, but hard to see Hearn and Drank working together. Tough spot for Brook.

Furey likes this.
  5. Southpaw Slayer

May 26, 2017
    I think he can still beat the vast majority of welterweights too, including Thurman, but killing himself to make it is probably not worth it.

Ref Smith/ Williams v Brook, if it's ordered as a vacant title fight, I think it would go to purse bids, and given that Matchroom may have a bunch of PPV's to schedule with Joshua/ Bellew/ maybe some combination of DeGale-Groves-Smith, I think Eddie may be prepared to let BT win the bid for that, who seem desperate for PPV's so may pay over the odds- and Brook v Smith isn't gonna draw big numbers anyway

ryuken87 likes this.
  6. Southpaw Slayer

May 26, 2017
    Coming close to the end of his career now, I think he shouldn't leave the masses of money on the table there would be for a Khan fight- even at 147, I'd still feel Brook could chin Khan. And who and how many fights at 154 would it take him to earn the kind of money he would from a Khan fight? Would Lara, Andrade, Charlo and Hurd combined make him that money- and all tough fights, away from his family for weeks on end?

People say he shouldn't return to 147, but it's not like Spence had an easy night with him. If Spence is the best in the division, Brook may well be the 2nd best.

7. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Oh I agree Brook is still one of the top WW's however say he has two fights at 154lbs and then Khan is ready to play ball and fight. It will be Brook having a much harder camp simply to make weight. It is the money fight although I don't think the fight makes the money it could of done.

Unfortunately 154 isn't a division blessed with names which would be huge earners but you cant fight your body and if its the weight he should be fighting at that's what he should do.

8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Am i the only person who isnt that bothered about Smith v Brook?

9. Sniper4

Sniper4 New Member Full Member

May 14, 2017
    same, but If we went smith at 154 and then cotto, hes lauging, one decent pay day, think fish eyes offerd 600k first time, and then 7 figures vs cotto

10. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I dont care about money.

11. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Don't think it's the best fight but it's one of the better options if you're Brook. Otherwise if he doesn't fight Khan it's rebuild at 147 or rebuild at 154, so he won't face a proper name for another year at least.

12. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    It all depends now on Brooks desire and appetite for boxing, he has earned a lot of money, now it is another operation and rehab and a move to 154 is basically starting again.

He is coming off two stoppage defeats and two orbital breaks, it is a long way back I think because I don't see many fighters at 154 just handing Brook an opportunity without being paid large.

Has Brook got the time and desire to work his way in to a mandatory position? Hearn can work some magic but it is going to cost.

I don't believe the Khan fight will happen, Khan has made it clear he doesn't want the fight, he has ducked Brook, there is no other way to look at it and Khan will now have to live with that and he will be remembered for that by many British boxing fans.

Brook is fortunate though, if I was in his position I would want to be with Hearn/Matchroom and Sky because they will back him.

I think he will come back by the end of the year in a little tune up fight at 154, get a win and then make a real decision, Brook isn't going out of boxing on the back of those two results.

13. Sniper4

Sniper4 New Member Full Member

May 14, 2017
    you wouldn't, your not the one fighting.

14. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    a one way flight to Fuerteventura ...

take the money ,live in the sun and eat chocolate brownies and get fat...

15. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Rather see Brook v Liam Williams.

Or a Williams v Smith rematch that is refereed correctly.