Roy Jones ducked Steve Collins

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Drinker, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Pretty much.

Tim Bradley and Aaron Pryor "called out" Amir Khan and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Bradley and Pryor were also the ones that rejected the career high paydays out of business decisions.

I don't care much what is said in interviews. Fights are made with negotiations and contracts.

2. willmc83

willmc83 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2010
    Even if you dislike a fighter and don't rate him you should at least set out your arguement objectively. Have you even seen his 3 defeats..? BTW - yes he was comprehensively beaten by the body snatcher when he was a 16 fight novice. He dropped a very close split decision to Johnson and could have won only for an getting drawn into some nastiness and dropping a point for an elbow. He actually beat Kalambay but got robbed in Italy with the decision.

You said he beat a past prime Eubank... :patsch Eubank was 29 and undefeated when he fought Collins.. He was past prime after Collins, it was Collins that essentially caused the downfall of Eubank, it's ridicolous to suggest that he was done before Collins.. Were is the evidence for this..? This accusation is often thrown about with nothing to back it up other than a disrespect for Collins and BTW he was a world champion for more than a year before he fought Eubank.

Cornelius Carr, Neville Brown, Frederic Sellier & Craig Cummings are what are known as 'keep busy' fights and hence that's why they were fractured between two defences against Benn. Surely you wouldn't begrudge a fighter some decent pay days between legendary fights? BTW Sellier was a two weight European champ who was in his 2nd world title fight, yes it was an easy win but your implying to people who don't know him that he's some kind of journeyman.

And yes, Jones would probably have beaten him but regretably we'll never know for sure

3. teemy

teemy Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
    RJJ is the biggest hype job in the history of boxing

he is getting closer to the most getting ktfo's ever

4. horst

horst Guest

- Collins deserved to lose all three fights. Kalambay deserved the decision. I'll see if I still have my card for that fight, if not I'll re-score it. Collins did not win the fight, he got beat.

- :patsch You watch Chris Eubank fighting the likes of Watson and Benn at 160 in 1990-1991, then tell me he wasn't well past his best by the time he fought Collins. This is one of the dumbest things I've read on here today. Have you seen Eubank fight? Of course he was completely toothless by '95 at 168 compared to his middleweight peak. At least watch the guy before talking a pile of biased shite and embarrassing yourself. :patsch

- The 4 fighters Collins defended against were dire, end of story. I was right when I said so.

- Jones would've humiliated Collins, and that he didn't is not Jones's fault. Jones was busy being the p4p#1 while Collins was beating up a shot Benn and chasing Craig Cummings.

5. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Why would you post such a terrible thing?

6. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    bottom line is jones was the one who chose to fight taxi cab drivers and policemen instead of challenging really tough hombres like collins. Heck, jone's sparring partner nearly ko'd him.

7. willmc83

May 20, 2010
    Have I ever watched Eubank... :tired No I've never heard of the guy at all, didn't watch the fight he acknowledged he lost against Watson and didn't watch the rematch with the spurs shorts on BBC Pro Box that ended in tragedy, never heard of that Benn fella either, please send details on a post card and fill me on ITV Saturday night, never used to crowd around the telly in our house to watch it growing up :hi:

I acknowledge them 4 opponents were poor, my point is that they were 'keep busy' fights. You've stated the obvious to criticise him but what's your point..? And by the way he also defended against Eubank and Benn (x2)

Biased... :roll: Sorry I'm not, I reckon RJJ would have beaten Collins.

When did Collins "chase" Cummings, consider what your typing here.. It's bad that people come on here and write crap they believe in but you clearly have some knowledge of this so it's most disappoiting to see someone who appears to know what they're talking about writing it

8. willmc83

May 20, 2010
    Hmmm... Collins HAD two world title fights in the States on Showtime and was based there most of his career, trained with Goody Petronelli and Freddie Roach, these guys ring a bell?

9. I am Legion

I am Legion Active Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Fighters are brave as hell and they don't duck each other. What they do is weigh up risk and reward. The greater the risk the greater the reward they believe they should get and who can blame them.

Most people on here are softies who would duck a slap from their Mothers. Only an idiot would take a dangerous fight for little reward, a boxer's career at the top is a short one and you have to make as much money as you can while you're there. One defeat and your earning potential can be seriously lowered.

If you're the kind of person who is scared to fight then you wouldn't be a boxer.

10. HoldMyBeer

HoldMyBeer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2010
    only been logged in 1 minute and i've just read the post of the day :good

11. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Did he duck Collins? Maybe, maybe not, there are always circumstances that can prevent a fight from happening. But what cannot be denied is that Jones cherry picked his opposition after beating Toney. There were many great potential match ups that simply did not occur, especially at supermiddle which was the most competitive division in boxing at that time and instead of facing 1 or 2 of these other champions he jumped ship, left the most competitive division in boxing and jumped up in weight to fight a nearly 40 year old Mike McCallum.

He had so many options to fight a very good or great opponent Benn, Collins, Hopkins 2, Nunn, and DM to name just a few yet not one of these fights were made, not one. You can make arguments as to why he did not make any of these fights such as money and unwillingness to travel but even Calzaghe a fighter who is often criticised for facing poor opposition during his career was willing to take a pay cut to face Lacy to get a defining fight. Calzaghe and Hopkins were both unlucky to dominate a weak era of their divisions with other title holders who refused to face them, Jones did not have this problem at super middle he had competition available and champions lining up to fight him but he chose jump ship instead, very suspicious indeed.

But even at light heavy where he had jumped up to avoid the heat at super middle he did his fair share at cherry picking. DM was the unified and linear champion that fight should have been a priority for Jones it wasn't he even forced HBO not the mention DM when he was fighting. Then there was the whole WBC debacle with Nunn who always had the style to give Jones problems being a tall, rangy, counter punching southpaw like Tarver and Frankie Liles who was the only fighter to ever KO jones before Tarver did. Jones dumps title to avoid facing his mandatory Nunn, says he will fight Buster Douglas, Nunn loses vacant title shot, Jones Jr changes mind based upon advice from his estranged father who he did not get along with and is given the WBC belt back as he is no longer in a position where he has to face Nunn. Shocking series of events.

Jones did not duck everyone but he must have ducked at least one opponent because there are simply so many to choose from, never has an ATG fighter had so much criticism over how many potentially great fights were not made, 1 or 2 is understandable it's hard to face every top challenger but when it's 4,5,6 opponents questions must be asked.

12. HoldMyBeer

HoldMyBeer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2010
    let's call a spade a spade here.
    if the world's best P4P fighter is sitting on top of the world, albeit ruling a weak division, and you want to name a string of fighters who mostly stayed right away from american shores so that a fight with jones was never financially attractive to jones, then who 'ducked' who?

granted, hopkins2 should have been made, but if you want the big dog you go after him .

13. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    What a disgusting quote from you, to single a person out due to country and colour. You are obviously racist.
    I like the SMW division ever since I watched Leonard/Hearns 2 live in a unification fight, as they were 2 of my favourite active fighters of that time, I have followed the division closely since. Guess what they are both black and American, and Leonard who is one of my all time favourite fighters is Black and American, so please stop your vile racism. If you checked my post history you would see how I credit S Cunnigham.

do you think SMW is weaker than CW historically?

The SMW division has been one of the stronger divisions for near on 20 years now.

No I dont think Ward is a top 10 P4Per. Ward has one good win over Kessler, then its Green beaten by gatekeeper Miranda, Bika beaten clearer by Calzaghe and Bute, Abraham coming off of 2 clear S6 losses and who cant compete at MW. Consider also Kessler was an unwell double vision suffering fighter.

D Haye had won WBC WBA WBO Ring CW titles and the WBA HW title all in around 24 fights and scored many of those wins away. Yet he didnt become a P4P fighter. I know Haye wouldnt be now after his loss to WK, but his previous work is greater than anything Ward has done.

If you are going to be racist, dont post to me. I dont approve

14. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    :huh How do you work that out. Dariusz said he was willing to go to America. Jones was scared to go to Germany.
    Dariusz was the man at LHW, Jones was a paper champ feeding off of Michalczewskis vacated belts

15. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    :clap: Fantastic quote