Roy Jones fought trash opposition

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Zulawski

Zulawski The Fistic Pariah Full Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I wouldn't base it on his career at middleweight. He barely spent any time there. Nobody asked who had a deeper resume at 160. Roy Jones Jr was bigger than GGG, faster than GGG, beat better opposition by wider margins, did it in more weight classes. Golovkin has a great chin and can fight very conservatively against opponents he respects. Maybe he'd survive pumping his jab out. If he ever got aggressive and tried to win the fight, which I hope he would try, he'd get slept. We've seen terminator G get hit clean time and time and time again. I don't think sheepish jabs win him many rounds against a longer guy who can trade those and win. I don't think Golovkin's style in general plays against bigger ATGs. Didn't see enough of his pure boxing to have a lot of faith in it. If Danny Jacobs can take 4 rounds off you, how does an actual slick boxer do? If Canelo can back you up, what about a 6'1 LHW?

2. Zulawski

Jun 29, 2017
    Honestly, if RJJ and Hopkins didn't fight in '93, and you asked me who would have won? I'd have said Hopkins. All wrong for him. Hopkins' whole style is to make fights ugly and take away the athletic, explosive component. Slow things down. Won't play into the big counters RJJ sets up. Guess what? Didn't matter. The fact Roy Jones Jr ever beat him in any capacity is impressive even if you think BHop was green at 28. That's a style match up he shouldn't have won, and he did so rather emphatically.

3. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Your entire post is moronic. We're comparing middle weights here, as GGG has only fought as high as MW. Roy isn't 6'1, he's 5'10 1/2 in real life. Ive been right next to him. And jacobs would beat the living **** out of roy at middle weight. If a guy like lou del valle can have you on ***** street, a guy like gennady would be a VERY dangerous fight for you. Roy wasn't even "slick", he was fast.

4. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    He can struggle with a speedy, athletic fighter. Roy, Taylor, Chad. Pascal troubled him, too, though I thought Hopkins won both fights.

Younger Hopkins was more inclined to rumble than to slow the fight right down like the veteran Hopkins, besides.

5. Zulawski

Jun 29, 2017
    Roy is the only guy you named who fought him before he was 40. He arguably won half of those fights too.

6. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    Had him winning the first Taylor bout and dropping the return on account of Taylor having more in the late rounds than he'd had the first time (shame, if Bernard had gotten the decision in the initial bout, a rematch at 160 wouldn't have happened, because he'd planned to move up after defending against Taylor).

Did beat Pascal, but had plenty trouble with him (at least the first time).

Definitely didn't beat Chad.

As I said, the Hopkins of Roy I was nuanced from the older Hopkins. Wasn't as fixated on slowing fights down, had more aggressive initiative and a higher output back then, though he was still a cagey fighter.

Point I was making was, athleticism/speed has always given him issues.

7. Zulawski

Jun 29, 2017
    Roy Jones Jr wasn't a middleweight lol. He started there when he was young. Not my problem Golovkin only talked about fighting bigger men.

Lou Del Valle was a LHW. Golovkin can't even knock out good MWs. Danny Jacobs went to 168 and got walked down by JCC Jr lol.

"Dangerous" Golovkin is a figment of your imagination. Dude wouldn't exchange with Lemieux. Jab. Jab. Jab. You think he's putting RJJ in the corner?

8. Zulawski

Jun 29, 2017
    He wasn't as handsy when he was young, he still had his legs so he didn't need to be, but like you said, he was cagey. Feint heavy, have guys hesitant to lead, not giving counter punchers a lot to work with. That's a pretty good recipe for beating Roy in the abstract. Hard for me to see a throughline when the only other guys to do it did it when he was 40+. His game always minimized those aspects. That's how he stuck around so long.

9. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Agree. I never understood the school of thought he ducked Dariusz either. No way Roy loses to him in his prime. Graciano was lighting him up before Dariusz took the easy way out of the fight and Graciano was basically a statue in the ring and Dariusz STILL couldn't hit him. Roy embarrasses that guy.

10. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    I'd agree that Roy was a speedster more than a slickster. Roy was not too adroit or responsible defensively, he just had amazing reflexes in his pomp that allowed him to get away with things.

Having said that, he outclasses Golovkin at 160. Golovkin is, in many ways, the sounder boxer. But Roy is a very rare case of extreme talent that could transcend the superior technical grounding of boxers better yet than Golovkin.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  11. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    Roy wasn't a trade counter puncher. He was a get-off-first guy who counterpunched with reflexes before reading comprehension (a guy like Marquez is a perfect example of a trade counter puncher, one who counterpunches with reading comprehension before reflexes).

Hopkins has consistently had issues with guys who have the speed to get off first on him (and Hopkins had good speed, so it wasn't something he was altogether accustomed to).

Prime Roy just had supreme confidence in his ability to get off when he wanted to. It would always have been difficult for Bernard to inhibit that.

Zulawski likes this.
  12. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Lou Del Valle was 180 plus pound LHW who was a southpaw with a good reach.

GG is a MW with a 70” reach and little head movement.

Roy would have been a huge favourite.

Nobody is doubting GG’s power. But he’d have needed the perfect opportunity to have landed with it. But I think that he’s just easy to hit. Roy would have been too fast for him.

How would Jacobs have beaten Roy up?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  13. TISONLYONEKING

TISONLYONEKING Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2020
    This is a topic that will forever be debated. I've always felt Roy's accomplishments were overstated given his opposition. He did beat Hopkins and Toney but I find that most people tend to elevate his entire career on these two fights. Though, won't give other fighters the same pass.

I think his athletic abilities gave a lot of fans the false impression that he could impose those skills on elite opposition, consistently. I agree with what someone pointed out earlier, he fought a lot of low level guys/mandatories. The Kellys, Harmons, and Halls litter his resume moreso than the aforementioned.

Roy... a very good fighter with supreme (rare) athletic ability for a boxer. Ranked too highly on ATG and PFP lists during his career, and after.

14. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I don’t think he’s overrated or ranked too highly.

Yes, he fought a lot of mandatories. But he had obligations from all 3 of the main orgs after he’d obtained all of the main belts.

Sure, under different circumstances, his resume could have been better. But so could anyone’s.

Despite what many people think, only a handful of guys truly wanted to fight Roy when he was prime.

He fought everyone he could.

He showed enough ability over 15 years, across 4 divisions, to go down as an ATG.

He beat guys like nobody else did.

He beat Jorge Castro with ease. Castro was a good fighter who had close fights with Reggie Johnson etc.

He knocked out Thomas Tate in 2 rounds, who’d gone the distance with Jackson.

He easily beat Malinga who’d given Benn and Eubank hard fights.

He beat Hopkins easily with an injured hand. Hopkins wouldn’t rematch him in 2002.

He beat Toney easier than anybody else ever did, coming off of wins over Tim Littles and Charles Williams.

He knocked out Montell Griffin in a single round with a lead uppercut. Griffin was a good fighter who had 2 good fights with Toney etc.

He was the only guy to knock out Virgil Hill in his career. And Hill went on to win a belt at CW.

He toyed with Reggie Johnson who was coming off a knockout win over Guthrie.

He toyed with guys like Richard Hall and Clinton Woods, who gave Dariusz M and Glen Johnson issues.

He went up to HW and easily beat John Ruiz.

He burnt muscle to drop back down to beat Tarver whilst he was exhausted in the 2nd half of the fight.

He did more than enough to warrant most people’s high ranking.

He went more than a decade, where he fought ranked guys who were naturally bigger, without barely losing rounds in the process.

If he was fighting today, nobody from JMW to LHW would be favoured over him.

He has one of the best resumes of anyone who fought in his era around the same weights.

He has a better resume than all of the guys who didn’t get to fight.

Although his competition could have been stronger, he can certainly be ranked highly on a H2H basis.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    DavidBarnes likes this.
  15. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Of course I do. You are just getting emotional again and unfortunately, cant take any opinion that you dont agree with. Get some help buddy

Read what you wrote above and then cast your mind back to what you commented on about Ottke who did have a good SMW resume.
    You have self pwned again.
    Go look at your recent posting and enjoy lol
    Would add, Toney wasnt coming off a good win over Tim Littles, that was about a year and a half previously

I said this one was possibly a bit before Jones time, but you are not completely correct.
    Jones fought McCallum 22/11/96
    Maske fought Hill 23/11/96
    Only just and it would possibly have been a good fight as Tiozzo had beaten McCallum only a couple of fights before Roy fought McCallum

Why wouldnt it have been?

If Roy was his mandatory. Roy wasnt Eubanks mandatory

How was Eubank faded?LOL. He was a world champ coming off an impressive performance
    So yes Collins was more impressive as he beat the dominant SMW champ, won a return, beat Benn and then Benn again in a return and beat Sellier. Yes that is more impressive than what Toney did at SMW imo