ROY JONES JR - 'Why aren't I judged by the same criteria as ALI & ROBINSON?!'

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jason Gordon, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I think Roy was a genius boxer but if he wants to be judged by the same criteria as Ali and Robinson, it’s not going to look good for him. Those are some bad examples because they both achieved great things after their physical primes. And neither of them ever ended up flat on their back from a punch and didn’t get back up.

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Love Roy, but as others have said, he's being a bit disingenuous here.

OP_TheJawBreaker likes this.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Ezzard Charles is a better comparison. Although Charles didn't carry on past age 38 or so.

BitPlayerVesti, Fergy and Sangria like this.
  4. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Not really. Joey Maxim was the light heavyweight champion of the world back then. There wasn't four different belt holder's, he was the guy. With that said, Jones would have had no problem with Maxim in my opinion and at 175 I don't see Sugar Ray as a threat to Jones at that weight. Ray was a significantly smaller man who likely walked around at less then 175. Greater fighter sure, but he was not a light heavy back in the same day weigh in era let alone in today's era of 24 hour rehydration rules.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  5. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    exactly, Early losses as a young fighter and losses at the End of a Career are usually the way it goes for most fighters and never held against them.

Jones was/is a great fighter... I just wonder had he been fighting in Greater Era's, where the number of fights that 'most' his then contemporaries would be participating in, would he, Roy, have come across a Tarver much sooner?

my best guess is YES!

Sangria and Unforgiven like this.
  6. AtomBlitz96

AtomBlitz96 The Blitzer! banned Full Member

Feb 3, 2022
    Eubank could equal him. possibilities are endless across the cosmos everything has and has not ever happened infinitely and so you can reasonably put him anywhere you want but in this reality I’d say he deserves more props then he gets BJS was the real deal.

7. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    He utterly embarrassed Toney. Performance of the decade that was.

Hopkins win kept getting better with age.

Went from MW to HW for the first Time in 106 years? Roy is a legend.

8. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Yes he would of been . If he retired after the first Tarver fight and did not get disqualified for the Griffin fight he would of been 50-0

MixedMartialLaw and Sangria like this.
  9. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    top five. top ten easy. WAY better than Ali!

Jason Gordon likes this.
  10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't understand why some people actually do seem to hold those late career losses against him in all time rankings.
    It makes no sense.

He came out of the 1988 Olympics, won his first world title in 1993. That's the same class as Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Ray Mercer, Michael Carbajal, Henry Maske, Kennedy McKinney. Most of those guys were finished or retired by 2004 when Jones started losing, most well before that, and none were ever as dominant as he was.

From 1989 to 2003, he was pretty much untouchable. It's incredible longevity as well as dominance. He declined sharply from then on, but you can't seriously argue that should effect his rating.

He's not as great as Robinson for other reasons. But no one should hold his losses against him, when he's old.

11. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    I'm not disagreeing with you, he still a legend regardless. Just maybe lack some elite level fighters he has to beat.

Flash24 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  12. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    I know that's sound impressive.. but beating John Ruiz to become the HW? is kinda meh. Toney beat Holyfield and arguably beat Peter who I consider better fighters than Ruiz. Hey, Ali became the first 3x HW champ by beating Leon Spinks y'know? Sounds very historical but there's a reason why most people didn't notice it

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Jones was stopped 5 times between the ages of 35 and 46 and people talk as if that should impact his rating.
    I think that's his complaint, and he is correct.

It's like when people say Holyfield had "too many losses". He had 10 losses, 7 of which came after he turned 37 years old, after many ring wars too.

Ezzard Charles. Rightly rated as a top all time great. The majority of his 25 losses came when he was in the final few years of a 19 year career. It would be crazy to evaluate him on those losses.

14. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He was 1/4 heavyweight champion. He was 1/4 middle and 1/4 super middle champ. In fact most of his belts were kind of vacant (middle, WBC stuff, Dariusz M was stripped of the WBA/IBF so DM was 3/4 the light heavy champ really?).

Sure he looked amazing with his speed and combos and was actually knocking guys over with FLICKS at the lighter weights!?! But it is what it is. Ali, Duran and Armstrong fought everyone and proved it.

OP_TheJawBreaker likes this.
  15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    1/4 Super Middle champ? He completely schooled Toney who from memory was rated the P4P #1 or #2 by various publicatons.