ROY JONES JR - 'Why aren't I judged by the same criteria as ALI & ROBINSON?!'

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by porkypara, Feb 4, 2022.

1. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    no one cares about that

Salty Dog, C.J. and Goose like this.
  2. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    I think he actually has a better legacy than those 2 in his own right. He is almost always favored in fantasy match ups from 160 to 175. As a matter of fact i dont think ive ever seen a fighter ever favored to beat him from any era. Thats a pretty cool legacy to have imo.

3. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    No, it's accent that sounds like how a Russian would speak American.

4. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    He got clocked by HW John Ruiz a few times when they fought. He took them well (To my surprise)

Salty Dog likes this.
  5. Goose

Goose Russian oligarch Full Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Roy is great, the best Russian to ever put on the gloves

6. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    LOL. The man had 199 pro fights. Even if he only ducked 10% of the top guys, that's 20 fighters ducked. Can you name 20 top guys SRR ducked? SRR has been called a lot of things, but a ducked shouldn't be one of them.

7. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    You must be young! Jones was well known with Hardcore and casual fans. He was P4P#1 for years. Everybody knew who Jones was.

AdamT likes this.
  8. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Because he was involved in boxing's very lowest point: he tested positive for PEDs and it was ignored because of his star power:

This content is protected

Sorry, Roy, you are always going to be a symbol of cheating, corruption, classicism, and dubious accomplishments.

And you are the same age as Joe Calzaghe, so yeah, it counts. You simply lost to a better man when you could no longer use PEDs.

9. Betyabeatyaup

Betyabeatyaup Active Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2021
    So what happened later changes what he was and what he achieved earlier? Nobody tell this guy about the end of Ali’s and SRR’s careers. Not that he’s actually seen any of their fights if he claims that RJJ wasn’t in their class. I’d also put SRL in their class, all top tier with losses they shouldn’t have had. The whole who is the greatest thing is stupid on the first place, to think that RJJ isn’t there with the best of them is even stupider.

Salty Dog likes this.
  10. WhataRock

WhataRock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I vividly remember the days of Rob-cott when Mr Smith was fighting scrubs like Gene Fullmer and Carmen Basilio.

11. nervousxtian

nervousxtian Trolljegeren Full Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rjj prime for prime is an ATG.

12. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Who?

13. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Jones was a great fighter but never fought the level of competition that SRR and Ali fought. Not even close. Tarver beat him the first fight and of course ktfo in the second. Those fights were at Jones summit as a pro. He was very fast but didn't take those heavy shots well. Of course after his speed left him he was routinely ktfo. Whereas in a fighter such as SRR his boxing skills were so great that he could compete well past his prime. Jones lacked that level of skill.

Richard M Murrieta and box33 like this.
  14. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    They didn't spend half their careers fighting absolute tomato cans on HBO PPV. Although ali fought a lot of scubs. SRR is on another level resume wise.

15. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    He is judged by the same criteria. It's just that most observers rate him below Ali and Sugar. I thought Jones was spectacular at 160 and 168. Most of his reign was at 175 where he fought too cautiously and his opposition was not great . KOs against Tarver and Johnson didn't help his case. Sorry Roy. Just my opinion.

TISONLYONEKING and Salty Dog like this.