ROY JONES JR - 'Why aren't I judged by the same criteria as ALI & ROBINSON?!'

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by porkypara, Feb 4, 2022.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    You're not listening to yourself, or to me. Non-boxing fans, average Joe Blow, they don't give a flying **** whether you're overrrated or ducking this or that opponent or whatever. They know whether or not your name rings a bell. Children and grandmothers had heard the name Roy Jones Jr. at any point from the mid 90s, whether they could pick his photo from a lineup or knew anything about him or not. Him, Mike, Oscar, Evander, maybe Lennox. And that was about it. Those are names that NON BOXING PEOPLE had heard of. You keep countering with all these reasons why he might be popular or celebrated among diehard and/or casual fans, which isn't germane to how famous a boxer is in the slightest. Boxing fans, even include casuals, account for a tiny percentage of the general population and are the only ones that would know or care about any of the criticism you've brought up. We're having two completely different conversations. I don't care how few PPV sales or live gate tickets he sold; that has nothing to do with fame/mainstream-saturated name recognition.

2. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    The only people who knew who Roy was were people with an HBO subscription. That wasn’t true for Tyson, DLH, and Holyfield and even Lennox. Jones was often fighting in obscurity in places like Biloxi, Jacksonville, Pensacola, Tampa, Portland, Ledyard, etc this was during his supposed P4P peak. Roy wasn’t close to name recognition with any of those guys even Lennox. Roy simply wasn’t as known by casuals or non boxing fans as the others. Your revisionist history isn’t going to change that. I’m not saying Roy was a complete unknown I’m saying he wasn’t even close to being as known as the fighters you are trying to lump him in with even to casuals. Forget the criticisms his drawing ability was far below those guys which is why I brought up the PPV buys. Even Casuals didn’t give a **** about Roy or know who he was until he was well into his career compared with the other fighters. My whole point is you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Roy doesn’t belong with the others. Non boxing people didn’t know who he was.

3. porkypara

porkypara Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Who was Roys best win?

4. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Or getting knocked out cold several times.

5. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Do we consider Alis losses to Holmes, Spinks and Berbick, when judging his legacy?

Do we consider Robinsons losses at the end of his career?

kriszhao likes this.
  6. Limerickbox

Jul 18, 2015
    Resume wise? Toney?

Ruiz considering the size difference?

In terms of eye test, his fight against Woods, he looks other worldly.

kriszhao likes this.
  7. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Jeez man when did he ever fight abroad in his career?? Ok fair enough he got royally screwed in Olympics in Seoul. But he made a career out of that refusing to fight away from Pensacola & the US Defending his titles against school teachers , police officers & even an Aussie garbage collector !!!!! all part time fighters.

8. Limerickbox

Jul 18, 2015
    Who cares where he fought?
    Hes American. Most Americans fight their fights in America, because thats where the money and most fighters are.

Mayweather never fougt outside of America.
    De La Hoya necver fought outside of America.
    Holyfield never fought outside America in his prime.
    Leonard fought 1 fight in Canada.

Does it affect their stadings in history?

As for who he fought, now you're just trolling.

What job did Hopkins, Toney, Johnson, Hill, Grant, Lucas, Woods, Gonzalez, Ruiz, Tarver, Griffin, Harding were all bin men were they?

9. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Compare him to either Pacquaio or Golovkin How many fights at home with "hometown perks" & guaranteed success did they get? Roy played that Seoul fiasco his whole career

10. Limerickbox

Jul 18, 2015
    Yeah. they fought in America...where the big fights were.

Would you rather Roy fought in The Philipines and Kazakhstan?

Themessiah likes this.
  11. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    You must of forgot....

yes, we sure did Roid head