Roy Jones...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RockyJim, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Chris Warren

Chris Warren Active Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Better than getting knocked out cold by 35 year old Antonio Tarver, and 36 year old Glen johnson with ONE punch

Which one is worse Roy Jones getting knocked out by Tarver and Glen Johnson at the end of your career or getting knocked out Leonard Morrow when Archie Moore is in his prime?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Archie Moore certainly filled out into a light heavyweight later in his career. He was coming in at the same weight as Roy Jones in the Ruiz fight in some of his catchweight fights without having used weights or steroids. He had to drain a lot of weight to get down to light heavyweight.

As for his durability I would point out that durability is to some extent a function of your level of competition. If you pad your record with sanitation workers like Jones did you can expect to get knocked out infrequently. If you have dozens of fights against hall of famers like Moore did then you are likley to take the count a few times.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You might want to take into acout that Moore fought 14 times that year including one fight against Ezzard Charles, one against Jimmy bivins and two against Oakland Billy Smith.

Fighting that level of competition to that kind of schedule takes its toll and gives your oponents a lot of chances to get lucky.

4. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    1. Yes but Holman Williams was a blow up LW and Moore only went 1-1 with him. Burley a blown up WW owned Moore.

2. Charles-Moore 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 - did I mention Charles beat him 3 times

3. No one takes you seriously on this because you always spin things to your faves like Moore, Marciano, Walcott over the likes of Charles, your as bad as Mendoza. Now you've been called on it you've stopped calling it a robbery, INTERESTING

5. Roy got in with the very best of his day in Hopkins/Toney, which is better than smaller WW/LWs like Burley/Williams. Jones would certainly get in the ring with anyone if the money was right. There wasnt the money there for the DM fight. BTW did I mention Moore walked out with talks with Sugar Ray :yep

6. Fact is Moore rated Burley as the best so I suppose he was Burley's lover boy too. Burley overall has 1 of the best Murderer's Row resumes despite being the 1 of the smallest, which you always conveniently ignore. Should I look at all Moore's losses like your doing to Burley????

7. Jones made fools of top10 contenders barely losing a round, Moore often had hard fought fights over his top10 contenders, Jones wouldn't have lost a round against many of these

8. No he didn't get knocked out when he came back down in weight he beat Tarver so he obviously did drain weight once. Tarver was prime and a very fast slick southpaw with a left hand and Joens clearly wasnt remotely the same fighter he once was.

I'd like to see your skinny ass get in the ring with Jones with your elbows flared guard and call him a sissy :lol:

5. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    No Hopkins was physically prime and an offensive beast truly earning his name 'The Executioner'. He was undefeated at MW and wouldn't lose again for 12years. Jones offered Hopkins 40% of the purse for a rematch but Hopkins didnt take it. Jones offered only a year ago 'winner takes 50%' and Hopkins didnt go for it

2. Toney arguably beat Griffin, many had Toney winning those, he was off against Tiberi but was up for Jones like no other, it was a HUGE fight. Toney was the dominant 160-168lb king ducked by Benn/Eubank who were the moneymakers (as was Jones).

Many fighters gain 15lb on fight night, Toney did it for years in many of his best performances

6. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    Cmon, excuses, excuses. Toney always had weight problems at super middle, he wanted the fight so bad, he came prepared. Jimmy Bivins, Holman Williams, and llyod Marshall better than Toney? Cmon man. Toney more than bounced back impressively after the depression he went through after being blown out by Jones Jr. Toney is up there with the all time greats.

7. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    No Holman Williams was a fully fledged top 10 middleweight of all time who archie faced well before his best days....No one knocked out Holman Williams out cold, but Archie Moore did the job. quite impressive.

Oops I forgot Jack Chase, another top black murders row member who was known as FAST and SLICK, moore beat the hell out of him.

Evander Holyfield must be 1-0-1 vs Lennox Lewis then

Speak for youself. your building yourself quite the reputation for biasness these days and your little scandal in the other thread about marciano being fat did you no favors.

Fact of the matter is it was a majority decision which was LOUDLY BOOED in charles HOMETOWN....doesnt sound like charles was the victor to me. Apparently Archie Moore outworked charles down the stretch and landed the cleaner blows all throughout the fight.

DM was the BEST lightheavyweight of his era by far, and jones never staged a unification match with him. THIS IS HORRIBLE...this is nearing Dempsey-Wills in terms of not fighting the overwhelming # 1 fighter.

Green Hopkins who couldnt beat Segundo Mercado? certainly wins over big punching top ranking heavyweights like nino valdez bob baker is alot better than jones ducking a fight with a 38 year old golfer because he was scared of his punching power. At least Archie was willing to meet the best lightheavyweight of his era, Harold Johnson, and beat him 4 times while roy jones was unwilling to meet the best lightheavyweight of his era DM. At least Archie fought the deadly punchers of his era like Lloyd Marshall Bob Satterfield Hatchetman sheppard while Roy Jones avoided Nigel Benn and Gerald Mcclelllan. At least Archie was able to go up and down from lightheavyweight to heavyweight back down and defend his lightheavyweight title in his 30s and 40s while jones could not do this one time, and got knocked out one punch by 35 year old fighter.

Just be thankful your Robinsons sake and perhaps your sake this fight never got made at that time. Robinson was 37 at the time of this proposal and couldnt even beat carmen basillion anymore....he would have been killed by Archie.

Moore says alot of things...he also said no one past present or future could slug it out with Marciano and come out alive. I bet you don't agree with him on that.

Fact is burley faced moore while archie was still seriousely developing as a fighter, Archie was nowhere near his peak in 1944. Burley fought a pre prime Archie Moore. Just be thankful your man lover burley never faced a peak 1952 Archie Moore for he would have been knocked out badly. Burley's resume is no better than lloyd marshall or holman williams or Eddie Bookers....burley was no better than those guys either.

Moore made a fool out of hall of famers and champions....jones ducked the best of his era, fought very few punchers at 175lb, and dominated a horribly weak set of contenders.

Tarver was 35 years old....Tarver was NOT slick. he also is a mediocre fighter who came along in a weak 175lb era, he was exposed by Hopkins badly...of course roy jones would NEVER get in the ring with that verion of Hopkins. Hopkins also exposed Glen Johnson badly who knocked roy jones out cold with 1 punch.

I'd like to have see you walk up to Marciano's face back when he was alive and tell him hes fat, see what happens.

8. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    i disagree with you here Hopkins was not in his prime

9. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    I know I sound like a broken record, but the speed that Jones had, the slickest boxer, the biggest punchers, noone had a chance. Hopkins would have never beaten Jones in their primes, neither would anyone. He was the fastest fighter ever and that negated ANYTHING anyone could do besides luckily timing him into running into one of their punches. The great Eddie Futch was the closest to confusing Jones for a few rounds with Montell Griffen, but Jones was starting to figure him out before getting Dq'd. The rematch proved it even more so. Jones was simply to fast to get drug into a typical Hopkins style of fight. Toney couldnt get near Jones at all, so that pretty much sums it up for me.

10. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005

No one had better timing than archie moorer. he was the sharpest of sharpshooters, and that is why jones would not have beaten him. I used to be a huge roy jones fan, but not so much anymore...partly because of his fanbase how bias they are, and i also came to realize he failed to fight many of the best of his era, and hopkins became 5x the fighter he once was later on. I am now a bigger fan of hopkins and he accomplished more than jones has.

Tyson Unified all 3 belts in ONE YEAR SPAN, no champion has accomplished this feat before or since....jones did not even unify with DM

11. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    I had it scored 76-76 after 8 rounds, montell griffin was mediocre too

12. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Honestly though...If jones had fought 218 pro bouts, with 3 fights a month agains Ring Magazine top 10, and constant flucuation going up and down in weight, he would have MANY MANY knockout losses on his record...because jones was not tough enough to handle that type of schedule

13. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Regardless of what anyone thinks about Roy Jones Jr, it is without question that he was one of the most talented and dominant fighters of his era.

My main concerns about him is the fact that there were no fights with Dariusz Michalczewski and Graciano Rocchigiani. These guys were light heavyweight contenders that Jones avoided.

Not to discriminate against the quality of these two light-heavies, but the fact remains that Jones only stepped up to fight Tarver, which Larry Merchant had mentioned as one of the three top challengers with Dariusz and Graciano.

14. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005

Total Agreement

15. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Jones also should have fought Gerald Mcclellan