Roy Jones.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    If Jones had taken on as many challenges as Oscar did he would have lost some also. Jones had an awful Chin and I would not take him over any ATG that is a savage puncher. Sure Jones looked good against the Glen Kelley's and Richard Hall's. He wouldn't look like that against Bob Foster, Archie Moore or Mike Spinks. He would be flat on his back with his fragile Chin and ego being shattered.

Oscar literally fought just about everyone. When you do that you will lose a few. Big deal. Jones was too scared/reluctant to do such. Really no point in talking about it with his fanboys on here they think he would beat Prime Tyson and Lennox Lewis :rofl:patsch

2. Mind Reader

Mind Reader J-U-ICE Full Member

Oct 26, 2006
    For what it is worth I read Hopkins was a 3 time national champion in prison boxing, not sure how true it is.

Roy being my favorite fighter who actually got me into boxing probably makes me side with him more than non fans. There are certainly times I disagree with some of his choices and statements.. He absolutely should have fought Michael Nunn, and I don't agree that his knockout losses were due to weight problems. The Hopkins situation in 02 though, I strongly believe was more Hopkins' fault for it not going down. I also think DM and Roy were both to blame for that one.

Same goes to you, I enjoy reading your posts and it is apparent you know boxing.:good

3. Mind Reader

Mind Reader J-U-ICE Full Member

Oct 26, 2006

You my friend are just a complete Jones hater... You have good points on some subjects, and have also impressed me with your boxing knowlege a time or two, but when it comes to Jones you are a joker, and you know that.:yep

4. superconan

superconan Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Don't like him, but for sure have respect for him. I may or may not have had Quartey ahead, but after that last round it was tough to argue.

To bad Quartey - Whitaker never happened.

5. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    The issue with Jones is that he didn't fight anybody, used PEDs, and poached a HW title off a guy that only had it because nobody wanted to deal with the criticism that would come from having such a boring fight.

Regardless of how good Jones' contemporaries actually were, he didn't fight them and instead fought some seriously terrible opposition of his own free will. Louis, Calzaghe, and Wlad had their bum of the month clubs, but they weren't avoiding anybody, they just lived in an era/division of bums.

Guys like Jones, Hopkins, and Mayweather can't get a pass for that because they had other options and refused to take them for one reason or another.

(Hopkins does get a pass because he's making up for it with his longevity/accomplishments at LHW. There's still hope for Mayweather if he puts together a good run and stays a few more years.)

6. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Should be noted that these guys eventually had to take some deals that weren't exactly ideal to get their rivals in the ring.

Wlad had to agree to 50/50 purse split w/Haye he was justified in laughing at and walking away from.

And Calzaghe took 50/50, moved up in weight and came to America to get Hopkins.

7. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    That's a whole lot of nonsense that you've wrote.

:lol:

8. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Everyone's circumstances are different.

9. superconan

superconan Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    ODLH did fight a lot of big fights, but clearly marketed better then Jones. Not even close in that regard.

Jones - Griffin 1, two undefeated fighters with a record of 60-0. If thats ODLH then it's on PPV and a huge event. Then the rematch is on a Thursday night! Made for a good Friday though.