Rubin Carter

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Super_Fly_Sam, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Super_Fly_Sam

Super_Fly_Sam Aus Boxer Full Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I was just watchin the Hurrincane movie last night....

and to me it seemed as though he was made out to be an awsome fighter..

was he really that good?? could he have been a great champ if he wasnt locked up??

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Good but limited. He was enormously strong and a violent type, but as far as I can see he could only do one thing well.

It would be no fun to be in with him, put it that way. Unless you were Dick Tiger of course.

He was also a really nasty peice of work - the film only scratches the surface of that uncomfortable truth. He supposedly told the Emile Griffith that "he was like a woman who wanted to be raped" which is an interesting choice of words.

3. Super_Fly_Sam

Oct 4, 2006
    So he was just like a savage beasty type of fighter???...

not one who could really change up his style a modify himself to suit his opposition??

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    He's a ****, he hates boxing nowadays

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Well he has a trunk load of losses. Yes, basically, I think if you bring the right fight plan he could be beaten, he doesn't seem at all adaptable to me. Not all of his losses are at the top level.

It seems that Tiger was able to out-muslce him but maybe that would be all in that department. I'd say that he has been overated off the back of the movie. A good, not a great fighter.

6. Super_Fly_Sam

Oct 4, 2006
    Oh Ok fair enough... but he really did beat that fulla for the world title and get robbed ay?? coz he did get presented with the belts when he got out of jail

and i herd that he was being sued by the guy who

7. Super_Fly_Sam

Oct 4, 2006

Why?

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll go an extra yard and say he was also overrated dating way earlier off the strength of the Bob Dylan song, "Hurricane" from 1975.

This content is protected

9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    It's a decent enough choone though.

10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

Bloody fantastic. Goes for about near 9 minutes, i play it at the local for two reasons, one it's great and two it's length makes it fantastic value :D

11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Plus it irratates the **** out of anyone who doesn't know their history. Get a lot of "what", "who".

12. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Hahahaha fair enough. I actually put at least two guys onto it by playing the sucker.

13. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    he's turned into some pacifist, looking for the abolition of boxing because of ring fatalities, I think it happened just after the Duk Koo Kim - Ray Mancini fight

14. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Carter's career as a contender was finished by the time he went to prison.

Carter was by most accounts a p.o.s., but I need to do more research about the case. I've heard different opinions regarding it.

15. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Actually Giardello won the fight fairly easily. And it was Joey's family who sued (and won) the makers of the movie, because it suggested that Carter was robbed (which was not true), and further more that Giardello was boo'd in Phillidelphia, which is laughable as Giardello was a demi god there.

Carter was given his WBC belt in recognition of his life's struggles.

If you want to know more about Carter then Hurricane: The life of Rubin Carter, fighter by James S Hirsch could be a good starting point.