Ruiz asking for $50 million for rematch in the UK

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Alphafighter, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Lady Girl

Lady Girl Kneel Before Zod! Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    What he really wants is 50 million cheeseburgers

lefthandlead likes this.
  2. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    sup, lady. what you got against cheeseburgers?:eatingburger

Angler Andrew likes this.
  3. thesmokingm

thesmokingm Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 18, 2009
    It certainly doesn't sound like location is set in stone.

4. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol as a Joshua fan I hated the whole A side thing,does nothing for the sport imo.Have to say this is quite funny.

Power_tek likes this.
  5. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Can usyk exercise his right to challenge Ruiz before the rematch? What trumps what?

6. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I think drama is a bit of an overstatement. Simply sounds like hes not sure where they want to stage it yet. Considering its been less then a week from the fight, Id say thats understandable, no?

7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Not from what Ive read. Its going to be an immediate rematch.

Power_tek likes this.
  8. Alphafighter

Alphafighter Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Ruiz has become a US sensation overnight. He is going to have the whole of Mexico and the Mexican American community behind him along with some casual US boxing fans. AJ will be bringing over his UK supporters as well. It makes more economic sense to have the rematch in the US or Mexico vs the UK.

iii likes this.
  9. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Pay the man

10. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Of course. Fair point.

11. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    I don’t have a clue how it works regarding venue for rematch but I would think that the common sense way of looking at it, would be that there must be a time frame for the rematch and that could limit the venues available for the rematch, it’s possible that they would pay a fee for the venue to hold the spot but there are so many variables that I would think make it difficult to get that into a contract as a stipulation?

12. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Wrong

13. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    I have tried to find out but there doesn’t seem to be anything concrete, I think the fact that usyk is with Hearn would have to make it almost impossible as Hearn would likely have to give his blessing. Which he probably couldn’t as it would be seen as turning his back on his top fighter and that would put doubt in the minds of all his fighters, and certainly put off anyone else thinking about signing with him

14. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    So you think that someone whose already signed a contract on the terms for the rematch, while simultaneously signing that same man (Hearn) as his exclusive promoter for his next 3 fights, can decide to break the contract by demanding whatever he wants?

From my understanding, he's under contract.

So how is not being able to price yourself out of rematch clauses, wrong?

And can you provide a precedence of someone getting what price they demand in a contracted rematch?

If fighters could make deal or no deal type demands that override court enforced contractual agreements, it would defeat the entire purpose of rematch clauses.

Ironmanmt likes this.
  15. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The contract CAN be enforced. That's what contracts are made for. So they can be enforced.

What you are doing is assuming "It" == "Ruiz has to fight in London". No, nobody can force him to enter a ring if he refuses. No court in the civilized world would do that over a civil matter like the one at hand.

But a court would grant Hearn millions in damages; payable by Ruiz. So if he has any brains he will do what sound logic tells him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019