Ruiz, Jr. vs Two-Ton Tony Galento

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, Jun 3, 2019.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    How did Ruiz get his fat?
    From eating too much broccoli?

“Ruiz has also become known due to his love of Snickers. Unlike other top athletes who are on strict diets and cut out the sweets, Ruiz has been open about his love of Snickers. He has a Snickers bar as the header for his Twitter profile. He even appeared on “Inside PBC Boxing” in late April with a whole bunch of Snickers.”

2. CarlChilders

CarlChilders Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Let me see Tony Galento a fat slow no talent bum from the 1930.s vs Andy Ruiz a fat bum with modern skills who fight now. Ruiz would destroy Galento. But but Galento was able to knock down glass chin 190 pound Joe Louis. So if he could knock down a china chin cruiserweight from the 30's he could knock down a modern sized 260 pound fighter. Typical old senile casual boxing fan logic.

ascended likes this.
  3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Modern nutrition is remarkable, isn't it?

4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've seen on here Joe Louis getting clowned because he was dropped by Tony Galento and much of it has to do with Galento's physique, which resembles the physique of Ruiz. In a fight that Louis otherwise dominated and brutally stopped him in 4 rounds.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  5. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Galento was twice as experienced and more proven, so I’d have to go with Galento.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Honestly Galento os better than made out. Ruiz is still better, he has enough of a chin to take the odd shot from two ton Tony, and plenty skill to outpoint him. I doubt he stops him unless on cuts or something. Beating Joshua is also better than beating Nova.

All in all I don't think they have much in common other than being fat and having surprising success.

I think a better modern equivalent to Galento would actually be Eubank Jr., both do everything wrong in and out the ring, but have enough talent, especially chin, for success, up to a point, beyond which they tend to het exposed. Both are also arrogant as all hell, though atleast Tony was witty.

As for Louis and Joshua comparisons. Louis fought a sturdy unorthodox fighter with a good punch, he got caught, it happens, what matters is he won. Joshua was completely beaten throughout nearly the whole fight, with about the only exception being the knockdown. But a lot will be said in what happens next, plenty of great fighters had losses, even bad ones, and plenty great fighters had flaws. I hope there's a rematch. Really I think you have to let the career play out before you can judge a fighter, but the odds are certainly against a fughter reaching Louis's class, and I don't think the evidence so far points to Joshua or any of the current top HWs getting at all close.

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I would say that Ruiz is very hard to rate right now.

He has one good win on his record, which is a win over the top fighter in the division.

It remains to be seen whether that was a one off fluke, or an accurate reflection of his level.

Pedro_El_Chef, JC40 and Seamus like this.
  8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    My gut on this one says that Ruiz has the right attributes to beat Galento, but I am not in any hurry here.

We will know a lot more about Ruiz two years from now.

Regardless of what happens next, he will be getting big fights.

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I actually agree.

I have high hopes for him because he doesn't "fit the bill" of the super post-modern ultra athlete heavyweight... and because I have enjoyed following him for the past years. Max Kellermen (for once) had some really good insight. He pointed out that Andy was raised by a boxing dad and has been in the ring since he was 6 years old. He's got years of muscle memory in him (is there such a thing as fat memory?). When he got in a fire fight, he didn't panic but was able to evade and return in combos. That brand of physicality, that seared in the bone skill, is what brought him out on top where the underwear model who decided to start boxing at 18 was looking toward to his corner at the first moments of uncomfortability.

JC40, The Senator and Jason Thomas like this.
  10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I am genuinely intrigued to see him write the next chapter!

11. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Galento was way more experienced than Ruiz and amateur and pro boxing are completely different. Unblemished records also don’t mean to much, since Ruiz has been a pro for 9 years and only has 34 fights and barely fights twice a year while Galento after 9 years as a pro had around 100 fights and was fighting 5-6 times a year. The more often you fight the higher your chance of losing.

Also, Galento did train hard, but like Ruiz his diet sucked most of the time. Also, keep in mind there weren’t any alphabet titles around when Galento fought, so the division was much harder back then.

Pedro_El_Chef and Rspen46 like this.
  12. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Holyfield sparred with him and was surprised by his speed and boxing ability.
    He thought very highly of him.

Ruiz in my eyes solidified his spot as a serious h2h threat in the annals of history.
    A category of fighters I wish more exceptional talents from the past could be included in rather than derided.
    I appreciate that guys like you can see the nuances in a fighter like Ruiz that make him good.
    I wish equally talented fighters in the past could also share in that.

It's also worth noting that AJ beat Parker, and Parker beat Ruiz.
    I think that fueled much of the underestimation people had for Ruiz.
    People who follow modern boxing knew who he was, and that he wasn't some kind of bum.
    I do think Fury stops him, and Wilder brutally KOs him.

Pedro_El_Chef and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Pretty much agree on every point. AJ is a stiff, a slightly sturdier David Price, or one who took longer to get exposed.

Fury probably dominates Super Sweet Ruiz. Wilder is 50/50. He can be a slow starter and easily befuddled. And Andy has a solid chin. Hopefully we find out.

14. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think Ruiz's speed could cause Fury trouble, especially if he has any lapses.

He'd really ought to fight pretty safety first and keep it at range.

15. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Against Galento that chin will crack and I agree with the Post GALENTO WOULD MURDER HIM! I love how so many think current fighters are already all time greats based on so little, just wait till their careers are over then your questions hopefully will be answered.

Jackomano likes this.