Ruiz v Joshua II

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Of course it's about the money. That's the ONLY reason it's heading to Saudi. All those home advantages have a price you know. This is Eddie Hearn we're talking about...

Let's not forget Ruiz was refusing to fight in Saudi initially, claiming he wouldn't be safe, etc and they were bringing the fight "back to the US". https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/...atens-andy-ruiz-legal-battle-champion-raises/

That's until Eddie sweetened the deal with a few more mill. It's ALL about the money.

TonyHayers and Scissors like this.
  2. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    I made a post earlier, i had a contact in with negotiations from a legal perspective, SA became the first option once the offer went on the table.

Scissors likes this.
  3. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Almost correct the only thing i will say is Ruiz only gets more as part of the overall package not more in a sense of %

4. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I didn't say anything about percentages.

5. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Agreed that the reason it's in some desert human rights bombscare is money. Nobody could possibly dispute this.

The reality is that the reason Ruiz was so happy when he beat Joshua wasn't just personal pride at becoming world champion. He was openly telling everyone in the immediate aftermath how much this was going to change his and his family's life. That change didn't just come via the win in New York; it was down to how much he stands to make in a rematch.

All the bluster about taking it to America and not willing to fight in Saudi was just that; Joshua is still the financial golden ticket at the weight and Ruiz has landed himself two of them; one at jackpot price.

6. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Because Ruiz ultimately knew that the talk of 'I'm not going to Saudi because it's too dangerous' and so on was nonsense. Likewise 'I'm the champion, I'll be fighting where I want to fight.'

We don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the contract, but what appears to be very clear is that despite fairly considerable testimony from the champion that he's not fighting in SA, he is.

Scissors likes this.
  7. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Since when did a "testimony" from a fighter ever mean anything? It's all about bargaining. How many times in football do you see a club state that X is not for sale at any price and then next day he is sold to another club? Ruiz got what he wanted which is to avoid boxing in the UK and presumably his initial refusal to announce the fight has earned him some more money.

305th likes this.
  8. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Where has the suggestion come from that Hearn has 'sweetened the deal?' Who has said it? Has Ruiz' team confirmed it?

It's just that that doesn't appear to be quite as clear cut as 'I'm not fighting in Saudi, no chance, it's going to be in America or Mexico, no way on Earth am I fighting in Saudi, oh hang on, actually, I think, yeah, hang on a sec, oh yeah, actually, I am.'

Obviously without being so facetious I get what you're saying, in that to an extent it looks like something may have happened. But it still appears that the date, location, venue and channel were announced, Ruiz then flapped his gums for a bit, but none of the former changed. That's why I think a lot of what he came out with was indeed just bluster. Talk a good game but clearly the ball never really appeared in his court.

9. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Not that often. Everyone knows everyone is available at a certain price. Managers may talk about not wanting to sell, but you very rarely hear anyone say that categorically someone isn't going who then does.

Again, all we've seen at this stage is Hearn say it's happening in Saudi, Ruiz say it isn't, and it's still happening in Saudi. What was Ruiz' alternative? Retirement?

10. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    No all we've seen is Hearn say for weeks that an announcement was imminent "in the next 48 hrs" - which didn't happen. In fact to go one further,
    This content is protected

Read that again ^^^

When an announcement was made on an agreed venue, which isn't in the UK, Haymon then held Eddie's feet to the fire and Ruiz now has more of the purse.

This content is protected

You have as much evidence he doesn't as I have that he does. And no, someone on here claiming "inside info" doesn't count I'm afraid.

Stop trying to come across like some wisened sage of sports business dealings. You quote "facts" and "stats" that are literal wikipedia tier, as I thrashed you on before and which you never seriously countered.

You're a LARP'ing twat who went quiet for weeks when Joshua got his head bounced around the ring.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    CutThroatFade likes this.
  11. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    Cringe. Imagine having this little comprehension.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  12. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Actually it does happen all the time in football, clearly you don't watch much football which is fine.

And no your last paragraph is condensing everything that has happened into one little ball of Matchroom propaganda once again. Right from day one on IFL Hearn was vocal in expressing his opinion that the best place for the rematch was the UK. Ruiz said categorically from the outset that he wouldn't box in the UK. In the end the fight gets taken to neutral territory. The reality is that no one really knows what convinced Ruiz to ultimately box in Saudi but by all accounts there seems to be a financial gain for Ruiz.

Clearly Ruiz has played the right cards in this protracted discussion because he's got a couple wins out of it.

It's bizarre that the Matchroom fanatics are so intent on making this seem like a negotiation win in the boardroom for Hearn. Who cares other than Hearn and those who work for Matchroom?

305th likes this.
  13. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    I didn't even bother responding to this one, the lack of comprehension was staggering.

305th likes this.
  14. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    If it happens all the time in football provide some examples? I mean, the transfer window hasn't been shut long.

Here's the thing. Several weeks ago, around 5pm on a Friday, Hearn announced that Ruiz Joshua II would take place in Saudi Arabia, in early December, and named the channel it would be on. For a while a few people got giddy saying Ruiz hadn't agreed anything, Hearn has jumped the gun and so on. Yet here we are, same venue, same location, same channel.

What convinced Ruiz to box in Saudi after saying for so long that he wouldn't? Probably the contract he signed when he fought Joshua the first time.

15. 305th

Apr 28, 2018