Rummy's Corner: Top 50 Most Spectacular KOs

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Nothing would shock me, and unless one guy dominates the other (which is possible, but not likely in my view), I just have a sneaking suspicion that something funny may happen, something that makes a rematch all but automatic.

2. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    :good

3. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Thanks for watching and giving feedback! :good

I've been thinking about Floyd-Pac a lot since it became official, and the first Hopkins-Pascal fight was the one my mind always wandered back towards for one reason or another.

Incidentally, I'm impressed and amazed anyone caught on to the Cosell tidbit. :thumbsup

Unfortunately work responsibilities prevented me from doing an episode on the first fight I remember watching, which had a 30 year anniversary just over a week back.

4. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Actually, yes. :lol:

I've gotten it a few times since I started doing these videos, and every once in awhile someone would mention something along similar lines if I was drunk and/or stoned.

:smoke

5. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Appreciate you watching, but I stand by everything I said about Maidana, my main point being, Floyd looked far worse against Maidana last year than he did the previous year in fights with Guerrero and Canelo. I don't believe this is a stylistic challenge for Floyd. I believe this is directly related to the fact Floyd is now 38, and his reflexes, legs, and athletic abilities are all in decline.

You think Floyd's issues with Maidana had more to do with Marco's style than with Floyd's age...? Or what are you saying?

6. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010

Great ****ysis Rummy

makes a lot of sense

i dont know who's gonna win tbh

floyd ain't no marquez :deal

7. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    :thumbsup

It's true. Floyd ain't no Marquez, and I actually meant to touch on that point in the video, but once I start talking, I kind of just go with no real end game in mind, and often forget to say some things that I had been meaning to mention.

8. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    What did you think of my prediction, abuffy?

:smoke

9. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Good prediction, somewhat, I agree with the Hopkins-Pascal comparison, and I agree I think Manny will drop Floyd once or twice, but where I don't agree is Floyd adjusting to Pacquiao early enough to win enough rounds to get the decision, it took him six rounds to fully adjust to Maidana, Manny is a far better, far more complex puzzle to figure out the Marcos, I do think Floyd will win the last 4 or 5 rounds, but it'll be too little, too late.

10. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011

:lol: Me too!

11. Sunchild78

Sunchild78 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Nice video, but it's very one sided. To point out flaws on Floyd and not Manny is definitely bias. Compare their last two opponents, and ask yourself who had the better competition? Pac already beat feather fisted Bradley the first time and was robbed. Algeri another feather fisted fighter, so Manny could look good against. If you ask me Manny avoided power punches after the KO. So he can look good. to remain relevant to fight Floyd. My prediction is Floyd will rise to the occasion like he always has.

12. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    What's the music you used in the background? 1:30 - 2:00.

Thanks. :good

13. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010

All good man, youre a very natural talker, you were on OTR, and you are on RC

You should do a JMM or Froch tribute video, the former to make me happy, the latter cause i know how much you loved him on OTR

14. Xelloss

Xelloss Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Good video, reasonable prediction. I think it will prove to be incorrect, but just because you got so specific even though the general principles articulated are likely true.

I do think you short change Maidana a bit, I dont think Floyd has taken enough punishment for his reflexes to start declining at 38.

Canelo had a poor approach, and game plan - and seemed very sluggish physically and mentally. Maybe result of losing mind games/pressure, maybe weight, maybe just a bad plan - reasons why are open to debate but I dont think anyone thinks we saw the best Canelo that night.

As for Floyds previous couple opponents, I think Maidana is simply the better fighter who also had better physical attributes for Floyd and a much much better game plan. Something else that I think is sorely overlooked by boxing any-lists is mental fortitude. People underestimate the effect being the "B-side" can have, and the mental pressure and mind games, and promotional displays of dominance. These tactics are used for a reason by seasoned promoters - they work. But they dont work on guys like Maidana, he just isnt the "type" to subconsciously feel lesser just because he is treated like a glorified sparring partner. No matter what they might say, that type of thing has a subtle effect on most people.

I think Floyd is overestimated a bit by many, and Maidana underestimated a bit by many.

As for Manny, conventional wisdom says he will have success early and fade late as Floyd makes adjustments. Seems logical, finding a sparring partner to prepare for Manny must be really difficult. Almost as bad as finding a sparring partner to prepare for GGG or Ward. The things they do that matter, just arent easy to mimic.

What I think will be key is endurance, physical and mental. If Manny can maintain the pace physically and mentally for 12 I think he has a good shot, if he gets drawn into Floyds pace and slows I think Floyd will take it. If its close, I can certainly see a lot of controversy...

15. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    On to the video, you make some solid points I agree with and I am picking Pacquiao to win this fight too. However I somehow disagree with the Maidana assessment.

While it's true that Mayweather's age plays a major role, Maidana's smothering and all-out ugly style is practically the ideal style to trouble and beat someone like Mayweather. Maidana applied the right strategy but Mayweather was just able to handle it and wear Maidana down by being forced to handle it and withstand the smother and pressure. Maidana's style is designed to never allow someone like Mayweather feel comfortable in there and develop a rhythm. If someone in Mayweather's ability and style gets comfortable and develops a rhythm, it's good night for his opponent and all his chances(Alvarez, Guerrero...etc). While Pacquiao throws a lot of punches, he doesn't really fight like Maidana. However, I see his speed, activity and power playing major roles in this fight. IF Pacquiao decides to pose in the middle of the ring and give Mayweather room to create distance and position himself as he desires, Pacquiao will get a brutal one-sided beating.

One thing to note here that many fans that pick Mayweather overlook, is that Pacquiao has never ever been beaten decisively in a one-sided fight. Even in his KO losses he was battering his opponents till he was caught cold. Against Morales in the first fight, even without the gloves of choice and the accidental headbutt which resulted in a critical cut, it was a brutal blood bath of a fight. Mayweather isn't exactly a KO puncher to catch Pacquiao cold unless he lands a liver shot that stops Pacquiao in his tracks.

I'm just hoping we get a clean fight with no controversies, headbutts or unnecessary interruptions/side-effects that are common in the sport, especially between a southpaw and an orthodox fighter.