Rummy's Corner: Top 50 Most Spectacular KOs

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    This is a very good point, although I think calling it "more of a glorified push" is quite the understatement. But you're right, this wasn't a flush bomb from Kovalev, and if Kovalev does land a severe power shot on the button, Ward's going to be in big trouble. Kovalev didn't punch through his target that time, but he did still deliver a quick crisp counter that put Ward down.

The flip side to this, I think, is the fact that Kovalev was never able to land a better shot than that. So asking what happens if Ward lands clean is a fair question, but on the other hand, can Kovalev land clean? Especially since he didn't during 12 rounds first time around?

I don't know the answers to either of these questions. But I sure can't wait to find out!

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  2. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Yeah Rummy, I phrased that wrong, having watched the punch on slow-mo prior to posting. And slowed down it looks a bit 'pushy'. It certainly wasn't a technically perfect punch though, so I think we can say Ward has yet to take his best shot. But then again I think Ward will keep the catch-counter in the locker in the rematch so is Kovalev capable of making the openings he needs to land clean or was his best work in the first fight - that right hand - merely reactive and instinctive and, therefore, unlikely to be repeated?

Rumsfeld likes this.
  3. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I wish the conversation on the rest of General was as intelligent as the ones on here are.

DoubleJab666 and Rumsfeld like this.
  4. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    This content is protected

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  5. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Yeah, well maybe you did get the prediction wrong but it was one of those fights where each boxer had a clear path to victory during the bout. Joshua managed the final step to get the KO but Wlad had his chance in the 6th and the 7th, when either through fatigue or caution (probably a combination of both), he took his foot off the gas. He was so close to getting the stoppage and you were equally close to being right. But ultimately, YDKSAB.

Join the club, I'm president...

drenlou, Rumsfeld and Robney like this.
  6. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Great vid again Rummy.
    The fight seemed to go the way many predicted with Wlad taking over later in the fight, but I also think hardly anyone saw a later rally coming from Joshi.
    This was a great fight, and just what Heavyweight needed.

You should have done the fight footage in greyscale too, with filmgrain and commentary stills.

drenlou and Rumsfeld like this.
  7. Oxygene2

Oxygene2 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    I've got Ward in the rematch. I felt Kovalev won the first fight and although it was close I always have it narrowly for Kovalev.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  8. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004

Oxygene2 and drenlou like this.
  9. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I look foward to your breakdown video on Canelo-GGG, Rumski!!

Rumsfeld likes this.
  10. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    This was a great video rumski, one of your best ones!

Rumsfeld likes this.
  11. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I wasn't feeling too inspired after that fight, but I had stopped watching right after the cards were read, and apparently missed the most dramatic parts of the night.

I'll probably do something relatively soon on that, but been working on a rankings experiment of sorts.

12. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

drenlou likes this.
  13. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004

Oxygene2, velagod and drenlou like this.
  14. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Keep smashing them out rummy, always look forward to your vids.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  15. Oxygene2

Oxygene2 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Would be good if you did a Pacman-Marquez special including your scorecards for all four fights.

Rumsfeld likes this.