Running for professional Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by boxexpert, Nov 25, 2007.

1. boxexpert

boxexpert Active Member Full Member

Jun 16, 2005
    easy jogging done daily for about 45min.

one a week, do sprint training. if you have a six rounder, then run

6x800m with 1 min rest in between. each 800m in less than 3min.

doing this for 4-6 weeks, you will get stamina like a horse

2. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I think you and Bobby are the only pros who post in this section, but interesting to see how you prepare for a longer fight.

3. sharpshooter736

sharpshooter736 The Punishment, Served Full Member

Nov 11, 2007

whats your name?

4. GlassyEyes

GlassyEyes Ya know what im sayin? Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Daily jogging for 45 minutes huh? For a 6 rounder? Right.

How about for a 12 rounder? 2 hours of jogging sound about right? Plus sprints.

lol

5. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    I fight 4 rounders and when I have a big fight or tournament coming up I run about 30 minutes a day + sprints. 45 doesn't seem all that excessive.

6. GlassyEyes

GlassyEyes Ya know what im sayin? Full Member

Oct 18, 2004

It really just depends on how much you half ass your running. Sure, I can take 30-45 minutes to run 2 miles too. In that amount of time, you better be running 5-6 miles, easy! Thats only running an 8 minute mile at best!

Thats what most pros run for their roadwork for a 12 round fight! Not some 4-6 rounder.

Yes, I'm sure everybody heres trains like a world champion for their ameatur, and 4-6 round pro fights.

7. boxexpert

boxexpert Active Member Full Member

Jun 16, 2005
    had my first twelve rounder two ago weeks in russia.

i did pretty much the same in daily jogging,the sprints i did as follows:

12x 800m with 1 min break in between. 800m in lesss than 3 min. the first 8 rounds i passed with about 3min,then after the 9th i started to slow down because exhaustion.

the joggings in mornings i just did for the purpose of waking up (or waking up after),getting fresh air into my lungs,also to reduce lactate

8. Bobby

Bobby ***.markdemori.com Full Member

Sep 11, 2004
    i dont do any slow jogging, it reduces explosive leg power which is used in over 30% of punching, so it affects power, i am a power puncher so i need to train to suit my style, for fitness i only train anearobically , sprints once a week, usually 10-12 100m sprints with 45 seconds rest.

9. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    So apart from sprints bobby you dont run?

10. Bobby

Sep 11, 2004
    no, for my anearobic cardio i mainly stick to boxing drills, slow running will make you lose muscle mass as well as body fat, and i am a built up heavyweight like holyfields so i need to maintain muscle.

i do like the rowing machine for hard fitness sessions, i rfecently broke a wallabies (oz rugby team) record on an anaerobic fitness test, i like the rower because it used the whole body as one, which is important , and it can easily measure rest, time, metres etc.. which i find convenient

i dont think running is bad at all, but i think every style of fighter needs different training depending on their strengths and weaknesses.

11. Bobby

Sep 11, 2004
    for the record, i am a well read and qualified personal trainer that helps athletes with their strength and conditioning,does this mean i think i am always right? no, i am here to learn as well as help.

with every athlete i have to learn about their sport and their individual strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day nothing works better than applying progression to sport specific training.

12. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Thanks bobby,very open-minded and informative posts.

13. Bobby

Sep 11, 2004
    no dramas enquirer, hopefully people learn something from me , because i learn alot from training and boxing forums, evne if 99% of it it not wirth reading every now and then i find something usefull or a comment that may make me rethink something

14. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Obviously i have to respect a guy that is a pro,if it works for you then thats what is important......I dont run myself,i prefer long walks and just boxing drills,sparring etc....

15. Des

Des Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    keep up the good work bobby!