Running for professional Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by boxexpert, Nov 25, 2007.

1. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Hardly.

My very first post to you:

"I don't see how long walks are conditioning, unless you're obese. I'm not taking the ****, I just don't see how walking can improve conditioning for any sport."

It's not difficult for an extremely overweight person to lose weight, that's obvious. You was saying it would help me lose fat. You gave me something to do (walking for an hour a day) which I have already done in the past, this had no effect whatsoever. So that kind of does your theory in too.

2. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Man are you stupid,if you are already ripped then how would you tell if walking had an effect on reducing body fat?
    When i have been about ten/fifteen pounds over my best ripped weight (which is obviously very far from obese.) i have engaged in long walks and gotten ripped.....
    My plan works for me and others,if it doesnt work for others it might be their metabolisms are different,its not a ****ing theory or something that works for everyone as ive been saying all along,i dont claim one size fits all like you do mister 'general' conditioning....
    NEXT.......
    (another contradiction from you, 'its not hard for an obese person to lose weight' contradicts your motto of most have to work very hard to lose fat. Many in america are obese are they not?.....)

3. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Hmmm. Maybe because I didn't have as low a bodyfat percentage at the time.

Good for you. You must have the fastest metabolism in the world.

Do we really have to go over this yet again? For the 7th time in this thread alone... I've given general help on general conditioning. This means it will improve someones ability to run further, do more pressups, situps whatever. You see these are general abilities.

You're getting desperate to start arguments now. That is probably the poorest argument I've seen so far.

4. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Virus,you are the typical pig headed instructor......
    But i repeat,folks in the know wont fall for your generalisms,and i dont fall for your strawman arguements and irrational illogic......:smoke

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Oh. No... :rofl :hi:

6. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    NEXT.......:lol: :smoke WHY dont you 'run along' ebola boy......
    As barabara woodhouse used to say 'Walkies'!

7. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You can stop now... but we all know you'll have to have the last word :thumbsup

8. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
  9. Marvelous Marcum

Marvelous Marcum Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2006

1) Unsurpassed in what? Weight? Wrong. Conditioning? Wrong. Best anything? WRONG!

2) Sure, he got in condition by walking, however his control over his calorie intake; as well as the actual food he was taking in, was much more of a factor than the actual walking was.

3) Do you think in any way, shape, or form that walking will condition any kind of real athlete? It sure as hell won't get someone in shape to fight for 12 rounds.

10. db2431

db2431 Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2005
    He was also on Growth Hormone, Insulin, 5 grams of test a week, Ephedrine, Clenbuterol,DNP and had his diet down to the nearest Gram of Protein, Carbs and Fat.Also walking for a 270 pound man burns twice as many calories as for the average 140 pound lean guy over the same distance, the equivalent of you running the same distance he walked, he couldnt run more than about 400 metres at 270.

11. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    er... i do long walks in excess of 7.5 miles semi daily and longer ones on sunday with some running and sprints mixed in. I also wear w 7-10 pound weighted backpack. I do believe the long walks help cut body fat so long as the diet and calorie intake is in check.

12. db2431

Nov 28, 2005
    Of course they do, but youd be much better served RUNNING that 7.5 miles, which will not only burn the same amount of fat in half the time but increase Lungs/Heart 10 times more than walking.

13. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    I stated dorian yates was probably still unsurpassed even to this day,thats my opinion as an antire package,and especially dry,grainy conditioning....There were some guys who were bigger in yates day (sonbaty,jean pierre,etc.) but none bought the mixtue o rf extreme dry conditining along with shaped mass in every body part....The two mister olympias proceedingr him (coleman and cutler.) may match him in size (coleman exceeding him.) but in terms of detail and having no real weak bodyparts he beats them both....Anyway,the main point is hes unquestionably one of the greatest of all times and walking was his main aerobic exercise precontest...The drugs he took are irrelevant in this context as every olympia winner and many of the modern sportsmen (and women. :yep .) take/took drugs as their main breakfast,but not many had walking as their main fat burning devise....
    Long walks are for conditining in terms of fat loss,mucle toning and aerobic activity,im not claiming it gives you wind for a twelve rounder,if you want to last twelve rounds then spar and do bag work/punch drills..If you want stamina to punch,then practice punching for long periods.....SIMPLE.....
    ps; all the spiel about controlling calories,diet etc,well thats pretty obvious and all sportsman need to be aware of that when cutting,and the comment about running being better for the lungs/heart,of course thats true but punching the bag,sparring etc are equally as good as running for this,finally running can put huge strain on the joints in some people,walking is relatively low impact and much safer for those with joint problems......

14. db2431

Nov 28, 2005
    Muscle toning is a phrase that really means nothing, you can gain or lose bodyfat or enlarge a muscle or a muscle can shrink from disuse/caloric deficit.Walking without a caloric defecit will do nothing for fatloss, a caloric defecit without walking and youll still lose fat.Long walks are pratically useless for any serious athlete for Aerobic fitness, Dorian just did it because he was too heavy to do anything more than walk and all he was concerned with was FAT-LOSS with minimal MUSCLE-LOSS.

15. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    No training is going to work in losing fat long term without a deficit or good nutrition so that point you make is pretty moot....
    I see your another one that generalises as if there is only one way to train.....
    Walking can be useful for any levele of athlete,depending on how their body reacts to it.....It works for me.
    By toning i mean hardening and cutting the muscle....The aerobic benefits of walking are less than bag work and running,ive already stated this,but this doesnt mean walking has no aerobic benefit does it?
    Most of my other points are in my previous posts,i dont want to keep repeating myself.....
    ps; dorian is a far better athlete than 99% of the people on any forum.....