Running worth it?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Toney F*** U, May 25, 2023.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    So I’ve been slacking on running lately, but I’ve still been consistently training hard in the gym. Yesterday I had a great and long workout, but today I don’t know if I should catch up on my miles or just have another gym session. I would like to do both but we’re having a hard sparring session on Saturday and I don’t wanna be completely worn out for that. What would you do in this situation? I’m kinda leaning towards the gym atm but again, I haven’t ran in a while.

2. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Keep up with a moderate gym work or give some 20 to 30 minutes run with almost the best pace you can. Rest tomorrow and spar on Saturday.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  3. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Wait until after sparring to run.

4. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Why after?

5. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    You will get more value from sparring. Use your legs to run after.
    The whole idea is to build, not wear down. You shouldn't run or jump rope on days that you spar and you shouldn't do more than get warmed up before you spar. work after.
    You should rethink the idea of running and jumping on the same day. Understand, when I say 'run' I don't mean a slow jog of three miles. I mean a fast six miles, for example, where you run fast. But you don't do that daily, maybe 3 days per week and you don't jump rope on thse days.
    Conditioning is a process, an ongoing process that you work at for your entire boxing career. You don't do it all in a week or a month or two months. You work at it daily and purposefully. And you build, just like you fight 3 in the ams, 4 when you turn pro, then 6, 8 and so on.
    Angelo Dundee said that it takes a decade to build a 10 round fighter and that is what he meant.

Pat M and Toney F*** U like this.
  6. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    On top of what grey said, you should be fresh when you're attempting to learn physical skills. Learning new movement patterns when you're tired/exhausted will lead to poor form leading to ingraining poor form which will take a very long time to correct. Do it right the first time.