Running

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by sasto, Nov 5, 2022.

1. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    What are your thoughts on running?

Is there a program you follow? Is long, slow distance obsolete thinking? Do you prefer roads, trails, tracks?

What's a good distance and pace to maintain conditioning? Do you change that depending on how many rounds you are training for?

What do you like in a running shoe?

2. CrouchStanceBoxing

CrouchStanceBoxing Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    I think that long runs are stupid and bad for knees.
    I would rather do few fast sprints, jump a rope and swimming for cardio than long runs.
    I used to ran 8 miles to mountains near the river and trust me, that pain is too much of a price for a stamina.
    Tire and sledgehammer,fast sprints and swimming would do the best job for having good stamina and endurance.

ForemanJab and sasto like this.
  3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Pretty much everything you asked can only be answered by yourself. What other people do/can do is irrelevant to your training.

Jackomano likes this.
  4. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    There're claims that running is harmful to the knees, still so many people run long distances and have no issues. It depends on your health, weight. But if there's any validity aout it, it's more for the long running, not sprints. Both require different body skills, but both improve you. Jogging is maybe the better thing to combine with sprints.

Distance, pace and so on... well, it's different if you're light weight person or heavy (not necessarily fat or obese, can easily be muscular) and what's considered good results for the latter might not be good for the other, but still depends on the type of running.

Are you novice to running or?

5. sasto

Aug 5, 2020
    I am new to running and I've been really enjoying it. I had some health problems that prevented me from even walking or standing easily for a couple years so being able to just casually run across the entire (small) town has been a huge psychological boost regardless of the physical aspect.

And I get that it's a personal thing but I'm interested in hearing stories about what people are actually doing and general advice. Especially because for decades roadwork was considered fundamental but now I hear more about swimming, especially for bigger guys.

6. MAD_PIGE0N

Sep 3, 2022
    Years ago, when I started running, it was difficult for me, I was new. Took me few months to get used to, then it was just trying to run faster or longer. What I noticed is that it takes me like... around 20 minutes to overcome the exercise, as running is requiring activity, then my body boosts. Heard similar from other people.

Swimming is overall greater than running as it involves the entire body and instead of putting pressure on your back, knees and ankles, it makes all the muscles working (well, mainly those of the upper body, unlike running where it's for the lower part), but your bones are "at peace", you can even benefit for them if you've spinal issues (like disc protrusions, scoliosis, even a very slight one). Swimming requires more calories, so it's more efficient for weight loss, so if you aim at keeping your weight while swimming at the same time, you'll have to eat more. What running gives more is stronger bones however and this isn't neglectable. Plus, swimming can cause problems with the soft tissues if we have to look at the risks related to both activities. But at the end, this one gets more philosophical, we're all "doomed" to get fat and even obese if we're not active enough, but consume with the ease we can. As every other living being is constantly moving and fighting for survival, so should we - just do something physical and by doing so, we more or less suffer the consequences of one day.

steve21 and sasto like this.
  7. lamarclark09

lamarclark09 Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2022
    Running is a particularly good boxing cardio workout for beginners, as it is easy to get moving and you will quickly see big benefits. Heavyweight boxers will run 2-6 miles a day, 3-4 times per week when training. Beginners should start their roadwork with shorter distances at a slower pace. Interval training is excellent for boxers of all levels.

joe brown, steve21 and sasto like this.
  8. lamarclark09

lamarclark09 Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2022
    There are many questions in the row but yes it matters how you cover the distance means how much you run your environment also affects running and most importantly have some comfortable shoes or joggers while running I also have some key points regarding running I hope it helps you more.

sasto likes this.
  9. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I have been a distance runner for over 40 years at the age of 53 I still do 25 to 30 miles a week
    I have no knee hip feet or other damage .
    My Dad stopped football at 35 and later had two knee and a hip replacemts

Damage from is it total ball hacks

sasto and steve21 like this.
  10. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I’m no expert but as a recreational boxer with limited knowledge of training and conditioning for the sport I have never seen the benefit to running beyond losing some weight to make a particular weight class. Running doesn’t involve any punches or the muscular endurance required to keep a guard up and throw constant straight punches etc.

I’ve always thought that simply shadow boxing in a ring would be far better in terms of doing cardiovascular exercise in preparation for a fight.

Obviously it’s also not great for the joints either to be running at a decent pace.

Naturally someone who can competently run at a good pace for a long period is likely to be very fit but I guarantee a seasoned runner would gas hard doing three two minute rounds on the pads because throwing punches while moving is a totally different thing.

sasto likes this.
  11. sasto

Aug 5, 2020
    I think both activities require you to understand and manage your gas tank well. It would suck to be 4 miles from home, winded, and cramping.

You have to figure out how to push yourself without going over the line, similar to staying active in a round while still having enough in reserve so you aren't left defenseless.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  12. MAD_PIGE0N

Sep 3, 2022
    You're right in a big way: if one is a fighter, better spend time on shadow fighting or sparring for as long or better longer than a fight lasts. If possible, shorter breaks or no breaks even, it's doable.

While running and swimming are often used to lose weight, they're as much useful to just keep you in shape and in that sense, the overall fitness of a fighter is just as important, as his skills. Plus, stressing your body in different conditions and exercises is only beneficial, for me even mandatory.

13. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Used running purely for weight management

Could burn nigh on 1000kcal with a 10k run.

Went a year running 5k a day, knees and joints are still fine at 44 years old.

Top quality running shoes are a must.

Still run now, although no where near the same mileage, probably only doing around 12 miles a week average now.

VanBasten and CutThroatFade like this.
  14. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    If you're a hobbyist with limited time to train boxing, then just train more boxing as your cardio. You'll increase your skills plus get cardio.

Strength training is more useful.

CutThroatFade likes this.