Saldivar vs Laguna a robbery?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Diagoras, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Diagoras

Diagoras Active Member Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Guys I just watched the H/L's of this fight on youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd5c2-rY5WM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd5c2-rY5WM[/ame]

Looked to be a great back & forth close fight.

Has anyone seen the full fight?

I ask because on Boxrec I found the following comments:
    Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I don't remember this??? I have been accused of being a major biased Laguna fan (and personally think he would beat DURAN!), and really don't remember being upset or confused by the outcome? I have not watched this one for a few years, so I might need to go back...I have the fight on DVD and will try and watch it this weekend.

Sorry not much help...but I hope that boxrec is right and I can contribute an irate rant to your thread!

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, that remark is pretty much BS. The other BR card is close. We covered it in the footage thread. I don't think the whole fight exists, but i spoke to RB who has a little more footage than me and he agrees it's not a robbery, in fact what he has indicates the same edge I see in that footage for Saldivar.

4. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I've already done a thread on this.

News reports basically said 'Saldivar outworked, laguna outmoved'

What you like essentially. From the footage, looks a fair decision.Few clean counters from Laguna but mainly Saldivar cramming his 15 round engine into 10.

5. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    From the 4 rounds I've seen I'd call it even.

6. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Laguna-Ramos would have been an interesting one had Laguna not blown his ranking here against someone who was at the time almost a complete unknown. Laguna looks sharp here but must have been beginning to strain at making the featherweight limit by this point seen as how he never fought under or around the limit again from hereon in. Mind you, he was never really a big lightweight either; super feather would've been ideal for him. Pity it lacked the prestige and financial rewards that were available at lightweight. That being said, Elorde beat him seemingly without controversy when they met a couple of years later and would've always been a tricky matchup for him imo, so maybe it was a bullet dodged.

Not that any of this has any bearing on the subject at hand.....

roughdiamond and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  7. Diagoras

Diagoras Active Member Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Thanks a lot for the information guys.

From what I saw it looked close & could have gone either way but thought I may have missed something in the rest of the fight for someone to label it a robbery. Looks like my initial impression was indeed correct.

8. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Kinda hard to tell if it was a robbery or not for the sake of all the rounds that are missing.. from what I saw, Saldivar had a slight edge, but Laguna met him almost inch for inch. What a nonstopp mover/jabber/boxer Laguna was. But Saldivar was the stronger of the two and from the limited evidence, seemed to be getting the better of it, slightly......slightly......My am I impressed with both guys here. VS is soooo strong..like a mini Marciano, but Laguna, on the other hand was a bouncing, moving, jabbing dervish..I can't say for sure.

robert ungurean likes this.
  9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    This content is protected

I watched this bout over the weekend and thought I would resurrect this thread. This is the fight in its entirety. The 1964 bout between Vicente Saldivar and Ismael Laguna. I was always interested in seeing this because of the controversy surrounding it. There are two fight reports on this bout on boxrec. One from a UPI wire report that suggests a close fight and one from the LA Times that suggests Laguna was robbed. I always leaned towards the Times report because a wire report is usually a reporter from the host country and can be biased. If you're going to watch the above link, I'll tell you right now that it is in no way high-def, but it is a fast-moving bout that will keep your attention. Funny enough that I actually thought they were shortened rounds and had to look at the time elapse to see how badly shortened they were. Well they were not. They showed the fight in its entirety with all 3 minutes a round. It was just fast moving and the styles gelled to keep me riveted. Anyways, here we go.

Round 1: Laguna
    Round 2: Saldivar
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Laguna
    Round 5: Saldivar
    Round 6: Laguna
    Round 7: Saldivar
    Round 8: Laguna
    Round 9: Laguna
    Round 10: Saldivar

Total: 5-4-1 Laguna

Believe me, no robbery. This was damn close. It was Ali-Frazier stuff. Saldivar chasing down the elegant Laguna and when he did get inside he let it rip. However, Saldivar had to eat so much leather to get inside. It was so tight that I cannot dispute the UPI report, who had it 5-4-1 Saldivar. So many rounds were close they could have been scored even or for the other fighter. No robbery here. And I would suggest you all watch this for an enjoyable fight. Man, it was over before I knew it, which is how fast it played out

10. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you very much for the footage.

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Great thread! One of my favorite eras is the 60's...guess it's when I first became a boxing fan.....these two guys are unsung greats...and this footage shows off just how strong and relentless Saldivar was and I'm always impressed by the sleek, classy Laguna....good show...again, great thread :clapclap:

robert ungurean likes this.
  12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
  13. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Has anyone else had a chance to score this? I'd be very interested in anyone else's scorecard.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  14. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
  15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I marked every single round as very difficult to score. What do you prefer the defense, movement, jab, speed, precision of Laguna or the infighting, pressure, body work and power of Saldivar. A shame this is only a 10 rounder. 2 of my favorites....I could see scoring for either guy, I just felt Saldivar did a slightly better job of imposing his will/style on a Laguna.

didn’t remember Laguna looking so much bigger than Saldivar? Excellent fight.

RBR
    1 Saldivar
    2 Saldivar
    3 Laguna
    4 Saldivar
    5 Even
    6 Laguna
    7 Saldivar
    8 Laguna
    9 Laguna
    10 Saldivar

Saldivar 5-4-1 on my card