Sam Langford question

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by robert ungurean, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah, I stopped replying to his comments because life's just too short.

Tonto62 likes this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Read Clay Moyle's book on Miske. At Benton Harbor, he was too ill to even spar during the week before the fight. Bright's disease is now understood as an umbrella term for a variety of kidney ailments. In Miske's case it was episodic and chronic, i.e. he would get sick and get well again but each time it took him a notch down the ladder. Dempsey was aware of Miske's illness and dire financial straits (I believe he had just lost a bundle in a car dealership) used the fight to help him (altho he was fit to hit him with a dirty blow on the way out). Again, if you want to learn about Miske, Moyle's book is the source.

Ra's Al-Ghul likes this.
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    It's Nephritis,in Miske's case chronic. Been thinking of buying the book,is it worth it?

4. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Yeah, it's a good read if you are interested in Miske and also the whole St Paul school in those days. Not terribly complimentary of Dempsey. Moyle's Langford book is excellent.

5. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks,I have the Langford book.

6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    One thing about the Miske pressing that I got... it fell apart at the binding very quickly and was just a mess of pages afterward. Luckily I had already finished reading it.

7. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up.

8. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I think the problem with Langford is he was very good in many weight classes from LW to HW and since he beat Hw's that gave him extra attention, and because he beat Joe Gan's a top 5 LW All time, people give him too much credit for that, here is what happened there, Gan's fought the night before a hard grueling bout, then got a train and went all the way to I believe it was Philly to fight Sam, he also had some kind of severe cold or flu virus going on, he arrived, got off the train, had a short time to eat and get ready then fight that day, from the ringside accounts, Gan's dominated and led the fight for at least the 1st 4-7 rounds, then became extremely weak and tired and just gave out, so Sam beat him, from what all I've read on this one, everyone believes without being sick and everything else, Gans would have easily won a UD over Langford, and I agree after what I uncovered on this one, so either throw it out as far as a Win for Sam or just agree instead of helping him, let it hurt him since he most likely would have lost, I think it hurts him and most either don't know these facts on this fight or ignore them, he was not better than Gans.

No way he beats any of the top 20 Hw's of all time, he 2as 5'6 and he was not Mike Tyson, with his speed and power, maybe a few levels just under that, but no Tyson, so yes his Height hampers him greatly at hw, I think MW or somewhere in that area would have been best for him to have stayed, maybe if he had not run around all those divisions he would have had a title, he would have against Stanley Ketchel at MW if Stanley had not been killed, they had a deal for a Title shot but Ketchel was killed before it happened, I've studied all I can find on the Ketchel, Langford 6 rounder, I believe they tried to win, and most at ringside agreed and most agreed that Langford dominated early then the last 2 rounds Ketchel was coming on and dominating and that Sam had become tired, and that Ketchel would have won a full bout.

I see Langford having trouble with and possibly losing to Earnie Shavers, Jerry Quary, Ken Norton, Ron Lyle, Tommy Morrison, Floyd Patterson, Max Schmeling, Riddick Bowe, both Klitschko's and many others, that would have all most likely beaten him at HW, and almost all if not all of these are not ranked top 10 all time, he was just too small, and yes had power and a reach, but not enough to have overcome what most of these guys brought to the table, and on a goodnight, Buster Douglas beats him, does Ray mercer, heck, Sam did not even dominate all the great black fighters of his time, he lost to Johnson in their 1 bout, yes he fought and lost to Wills past his Prime, but how good really can we say Wills was, or Jeannette and Mcvery for that matter, they spent most of their careers fighting each other, but none dominated the other, on a goodnight either of them beats the other, so what are all 4 top 10, no they are not, and neither in SAM, yes he is an All time great for being so good from LW to HW, but he never won a title, he never dominated a weight class, and if you have to give him excuses for his entire career, then he must come up short for that reason, I can give a guy an excuse if it's proven, he was hurt, sick, or something for a fight or 2, but no excuses for not winning a title his entire career, there is a reason for this, other blacks won titles, so that's not the one.

Ra's Al-Ghul likes this.
  9. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    The clip I created is from all available Langford fights on YT. All of these fights were on YT for years, so don't act like you can't watch them. You just didn't because you didn't want to, not because you couldn't. All three fights are available for years.
    Be prepared for more clips with his parries, blocks, head movement and other stuff. I'm sure you won't watch it again, but at least others will be able to look at this and conclude that you talk about fights you haven't seen.

10. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Yup a first class ****!

11. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    It's not my fault that you can't use YT or Google. I wasted way too much time to you in this thread. Feel free to be the "winner" of this debate, I don't care.

I care about discussion and spreading information. I don't want to beat you or anyone in discussion. I want to gain knowledge. You don't, so believe in whatever you want. Even visual proofs can't change your opinions, so why should I bother?

Bukkake likes this.
  12. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    I literally used this video to create my clip with Langford jabs. What is wrong with you?

13. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Surely you know what's wrong with him by now?Lol

14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    I said you that I counted 10 jabs in the fight we talked about at first. I'm saying it for the third time if I remember correctly.

Then I created a clip with Langford jabs for you to make you see him jabbing because you're not willing to watch his fights.

I feel like I'm arguing with 5 years old kid. What can I do for you more? I've never said I know the number of jabs Langford threw in his career. He fought over 200 times and we have his 3 incomplete fights on the tape. That would be just stupid and I never said that.

What are you arguing now? Please tell me, because I can't even get your point.

15. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    70s Fan, you seem like a bright guy, don't you have anything better to do with your time than respond to Mr. Al-Ghul?

Tonto62 likes this.