Same day weigh in versus 24 hr weigh in...?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Nov 15, 2007.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Last Saturday while watching the Cotto/Mosely fight, I was wondering how boxing has changed since the 24 hour weigh in is now the norm....
    Both guys I estimate problably weighed over 160 lbs. Would the welterweights of today be middleweights if they were fighting in the era of same day weigh ins???
    How has the advent of the 24 hour weigh in changed the sport? Thoughts?

2. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    It has basically put everyone a division below each fighter's actual weight.

There are a exceptions. Gerald McClellan was heavy enough to fight at cruiserweight when he fought at middleweight. I think Hopkins was still under the limit for his fight with Trinidad the day of the fight.

I personally think that fighters should weigh in the day of the fight, and use the divisions more like guide lines. If you are fighting for the lightweigt title, then you are supposed to weigh between 131 and 135 lbs. I believe if you are within 4 lbs of each other then the fight is fair. If you are fighting for the supermiddleweight title and are within 7 lbs of each other, then you have a fair fight.

I realize that people weigh in a day later because of "cutting," and the needed time for fighters to put on weight after losing fluid weight. I think that people would stop cutting if fights were the day of, and weight divisions were use more like I mentioned before.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Some would and some wouldnt.

In the era of same day weigh ins some fighters chose to sweat themselves down to fight in a lighter weight class and accepted the physical penalties, while others elected to fight bigger oponents but come in well hydrated.

Gaining weight was also an interesting exercise since weights were not used. To make welterweight Henry Armstrong would drink gallons of water before he faced the scales.

4. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Even with same day weigh-in (say, 1 P.M. or 3 P.M.) fighters still managed to gain 10 pounds or more come fight time.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Well said. I think in some cases ( lower weight classes ) , a fighter can jump 2-3 weight classes on fight night. ItÂ’s a sham. I am for 24 hour weigh ins. Fight at your best weight, do not drain off 10-15 pounds of water weight then re-hydrate. The process is dangerous and can rip the fans off if a person does not recover from the hydration process.

6. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I completely agree. Weigh ins should be the morning of the fight. If you can't make weight, or are draining yourself to do so - you don't belong in that weight division. Period. It is a crime and insult to boxing history to claim you are a "welterweight" champion when you are really fighting as a middleweight.

7. Chaney

Chaney Mystery and Imagination Full Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Weighing in dehydrated is also dangerous, apparently.

Gerald McClellan was notorious for weighing in well under his real weight. Apparently, it leaves the brain more vulnerable to damage. Perhaps this practice contributed towards the injuries McClellan suffered?

I have no sources for this theory, but I have read it on these boards somewhere. Can anybody elaborate on the increased risk of brain damage due to dehydration?

If there is a strong case for this theory, then weigh-ins should be same day only.