Sam's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by sam1222, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sam1222

sam1222 **** You. Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Been a bit slack with this at the moment but been busy and haven't had much time.

Today:

Morning -

2 Mile jog / 45 mins circuit training / 2 mile jog

Late afternoon -

Gym session.

Squats - Front squat up to 80kg in sets of 5 then, 7 x 5 @ 145kg

Squat swings - 15kg DB 4 x 10

Seated BB press - 20 reps w/bar / 12 reps @ 45kg / 10 @ 60kg / 8 @ 70kg / 6 @ 80kg / 4 @ 85kg then repeat in reverse.

Arnold press - 4 x 6 w/30kg DB's

Bench - 20 reps w/bar / 12 @ 45kg / 10 @ 65kg / 8 @ 75kg / 8 @ 85kg / 6 @ 95kg / 4 @ 105kg / 3 @ 115kg then repeat in reverse.

W/G Bench - 4 x 10 @ 65kg

DB Flyes - light warm up then, 6 x 10 w/10kg DB's

C/G Bench - 4 x 10 @ 65kg
    Skullcrushers - 4 x 10 @ 35kg
    Weighted Dips - 10 x 6 w/25kg plate (Tricep work done as a triple-set)

DB Rows - 4 x 8 w/45kg DB's

10 mins Sledgehammer tyre slams (wasnt sure what to call this but its the one where you knock **** out of a big tyre with a sledgehammer to work you core muscles) I enjoy this but it reminds me of being at work, either digging or using a pick.

2 Mile walk home.

2. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Ive also been doing more strongman type training at the end of my weights workouts. Instead of having a specific day for event type training ive been doing power cardio at the end of my gym sessions. For example, on monday last week i did 3 x 50 metre DB Farmers walks (80kg each hand) at the end of my training. on wednesday i pushed the missus's car (a ford focus) around B & Q car park until i couldnt push no more then spent 15 mins using a rope to pull it around (arm over arm / hooking the rope to my belt and pulling it / etc) on friday i went straight to our local stadium and did my old steps circuit with a 45kg bergen on my back, followed by 5 sets of 50 metre hill sprints (without the bergen), making me puke up at the end :good.

I'm not sure what i'll stick to, whether doing it like this and change the 'events' each week or pick a day to concentrate on them and pick 4 or 5 different events to practice.

Ive decided to go for it and enter my first strongman comp this year. The one i have my eye on is being held in may giving me just over 4 months to prepare, although i want to give myself 3 months first and see where i'm at before deciding to enter or not. if i dont feel ready i'll simply wait and look for another comp later in the year. But to be honest i just want to get the first one out of the way and enjoy myself. have a go and see how much i need to progress strength wise. But still, 4 months should be enough time to prepare for pretty much anything, and providing my strength gains continue as they are i'm confident i shouldnt embarrass myself too badly :D

3. elcasoshaun

elcasoshaun Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Good on ya for getting Max fit-the number of fat **** bull breeds out there is disgusting (so many owners seem to think blubber is power in the Bull breed world for some reason). I got told about a Boxer/Pit BTW that needs rescuing so being a soppy ****er for mutts I told the pound I'd pick her up when she's ready to go. If I had a clue about computers I'd put a pic up-she's a little white thing at the mo at just 6 weeks so I have no ****ing idea what size she'll be. Another running partner for me.

Yeah, I'm still getting stuck into my training although I've had 2 days off as the gymnastic stuff is demanding on the joints until I get used to it. I get the bulk of my work done up in the mountains with the rings put up on a tree branch, a sandbag and about 30 metres for sprinting (well, it should be sprinting but after burpees/sandbag clean and presses and other similar movements it's more like a waddle lol). Everyone thinks I'm a daft **** but the carryover to other sports is impressive and it'll soon be time to get out on the kayak again so i reckon I'll be in great nick for the outdoor stuff I'm into.

Good luck with the strong man stuff BTW. Car-pushing is on my agenda, as well. Cheers.

4. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Cheers mate. He's fit anyway, ive just brought him on gradually. Poor lad didnt walk/run off lead until he was a year old, just a couple walks per day and running about in the yard, but he stays within 3 or 4 feet of me now when off lead and his recall is spot on so its been worth it. Ive always done it tho, like with my bullies, people would get intimidated at first when they'd see me with 3 bullmastiffs off lead but again their recall was impeccable, and they would rarely bother people unless approached, at which point they'd slobber all over them. I love bull breeds but they get a bad rep through irresponsible arseholes with no experience with big dogs taking these kinds of dogs on, so i like to know if there's an incident when we're out it wont be my dogs who are at fault. That's great news about the boxer/pit pup, when do you pick her up?

Max does seem to enjoy the training tho, although we've had one or 2 stubborn moments where he just sat and looked utterly bored with it all so i just unhooked him and threw the ball about for half hour as i dont want to rush him or have him end up hating it all. softly softly as they say.

Yeah i can imagine the gymnast stuff would be a **** until you get used to it. And i know what you mean, i get some funny looks off people when i'm doing my circuits in the park but i think our neighbours are just about used to 'the mad ****' next door haha
    Jealous about the kayaking too, its not often i get to do stuff like that anymore and really enjoy it.

Cheers for the encouragement mate. I'm not 100% confident i'm ready for competitions yet to be honest, but figure ive got 4 months yet so will see what happens. Ive had a good look at my training and intend to throw out what i dont need and start training specifically for the comp. Ive had a good look at some of the stronman routines on the net and dont think i'll have much trouble altering my routine to fit it. Will probably cut weight training days from 4 to 2 and do more event orientated type training. loving the sandbag work at the moment, cheap and easy to set up too. I had 3 old army duffle bags in the shed and bought another 5 from surplus, then just robbed sand from work to fill them to different weights. Car pushes/pulls are great, i'd definately reccommend adding them to your training. I do them on my squats/deads day and after half hour of that i'm ****ed.

Cheers mate :good

5. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Oh yeah, broke my stone too :twisted: I was doing zercher type squats with it, and decided to do some shoulder cleans to finish and ****ing dropped it and the top half split off! ****!! (I broke 2 of the patio flags too which will have to be replaced before the missus sees em :D) Its useless now as neither piece is heavy enough to do anything with so will have to look around for another as i already miss it as part of my 'medleys' with the sandbags. I'm after an axle next and an anvil. An anchor would be good too but having trouble getting hold of one. not ****ing cheap neither from what i have seen.

6. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Trained every day since wednesday, as ive had ****ing horrendous toothache and couldnt get a dentist apointment until today, and its the only thing that seemed to ease it. Been doing a lot of sandbag stuff, different weights/circuits/exercises, and for core conditioning its spot on.

Todays training is typical of what ive been doing.

Morning -

10 mins skipping

20 mins circuit training - chins / squats / press ups / sit ups / burpees / dips / hanging leg raises /

Sandbag PT- Pyramids- 20/40/60/80/100kg bags - squats / lunges / bunny hops / throws / cleans & presses / shouldering / carry's etc.

Every other day ive been doing a compound lift (bench, squat , deads or overheads) 2 assistance exercises then onto a 'power cardio' exercise to finish, car pulls/pushes , farmers walks, sandbag training etc. I like it and feel stronger already.

7. elcasoshaun

elcasoshaun Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Quality stuff, Sam. You're giving me ideas about introducing even wackier **** into my routines.

Talking of anchors, the last time I was in Britain we spent a bit of time in N.Wales. My old Bullterrier grabbed an old rusty anchor off a beach and started dragging it (this was the summer of 2006 when the tabloids were going "Devil Dog"crazy, and everyone was watching, far from impressed at his lunacy haha)-it never occured to me to incorporate it into my routine myself lol. It wouldn't have been a popular move, however, as we were travelling about in a campervan for 3 months before heading off to the continent and I reckon the wife would have been far from pleased to be sharing the van with a stinking anchor as well. If you're near to the coast i'd just have a word with some fishermen and see if you can pick an old one up for **** all?

Picked the new girl up on Friday night, hence why my training's been a bit ****-the little ******* isn't letting me kip much. She looks pure Dogo TBH, although the lass at the rescue centre said Boxer mother and probably APBT sire. **** knows, but she's a dominant little **** already and hasn't shown any fear or nervousness about noises, batterings off my other lads etc. Got her on raw chicken already and she's loving it.

I had a good look through the Bullmastiff links you gave me a while back and I've bookmarked the page for the future, in case i ever stop rescuing mutts and need a well-bred animal.Cheers for that, mate.

Keep going with the training, I like seeing the crazy **** you're doing!

8. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Cheers mate, Just trying to work out an effective routine to prep me for the comp in may, though still not 100% confident i'm strong enough yet or that ive got enough time to be as ready as i'd want to be. I'm not expecting to win, or even place in the top 5 or whatever but nobody likes to look a **** do they :D A mate at the gym suggested maybe do a weight lifting comp first, which appeals to be fair but i like the strongman stuff. The playing about with odd shaped, awkward objects suits me as it pushes me to my limits the way i like so will just have to give it another month or 2 and see where i'm at. I enjoy competing against others though and now i'm done with boxing i need something else and the strongman stuff could be it.

Yeah good idea mate cheers. Its already crossed my mind and ive got friends down in liverpool who live near the docks on the look out for me :good
    :lol: Yeah english bulls are nutters aint they, ive never come across a sane one yet. a mate of mine had one that used to ****ing charge walls and butt them, bounce off and just back up and do it again, mad **** :lol: He also smashed his way through several doors in this way when shut in the kitchen when they went out :D

She sounds a right little handful mate :D But a corker all the same. ***** pups usually are more plucky tho eh? I prefer girls usually as their keener and usually more loyal and 9 times out of 10 have asserted themselves evenually over my boys. Kane, one of my old bullmastiffs, was a right big girl. scared of everthing and the girls just took the **** out of him. Big kev wouldnt let them take the **** and would do his job at night but basically just wanted to eat, **** and sleep :D Big lazy *******. Fantastic dogs tho.

Yeah no probs mate, glad i could help :good Like i said their all K.C reg on that site and their are some quality breeders, but not cheap, but if papers dont bother you ive got contacts for dogs half the price but bred just as well :good Papers mean **** all anyway. when i used to breed my bullies a lot of the time i did the papers myself or just sold dogs on with papers from other dogs i owned or had owned :yep

9. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Today -

6am - 4 mile run - Ran the first mile at steady pace then timed 3 miler. finished in 19 mins dead and not happy. took the first mile too steady. 45 mins PT pyramids / sandbag PT combo.

Afternoon -

10 mins skipping / 10 mins heavy bag / 10 rounds sparring. Agreed to spar with a friend as he's got a fight coming up. He asked me to pressure him yet complained afterwards i was too heavy handed in the exchanges and wouldnt give him room to move around...WTF? I found it hard to trap in the first few rounds and thought he kept me off him well and i didnt think i'd caught him clean all that much, yet his take on it was entirely different and he seemed rattled afterwards. I was tired and admit my mind was elsewhere but i wouldnt try knock out a guy who's due to fight soon cos its a ****s trick. all i did was apply pressure, like he asked me to do and didnt go too hard, just stayed on him. Maybe its just nerves playing up on his part, silly ****.

Core conditioning - Kettlebell / Medicine ball circuits -

About 5 mins skipping as i couldnt be bothered at this point.

2 mile walk home with 45kg backpack. Up hill all the way and ****ing legs felt like someone had taken a bat to them by the time i got home. Great stuff :D

10. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Spartan run - 5 miles - 100 press ups / 100 squats / 100 sit ups / 100 burpees / there was nothing about to do dips on for the last set so ran the last mile in sprints. Finished off with chins/pull ups and ****ed around on the ****** bars at the park then threw the ball about for max for half hour or so, before jogging home.

Weights session this aft so will post it up later.

Found a new stone,(there's a retaining wall being fixed up near to where i live and its all old york stone and heavy as ****) but its twice the size of the last one so will be a **** getting it home. but i reckon if i cut in half with the stihl saw i should have 2 decent stones for lifting/medleys etc. IF i can get the ******* home!

11. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Weights session -

W/G Bench - 20 reps w/bar then, 15 @ 45kg / 12 @ 65kg / 10 @ 75kg / 8 @ 85kg / 6 @ 95kg / 4 @ 105kg / 2 @ 115kg / 6 singles @ 120kg. 25 Press ups between each set (Bootneck style, close grip, elbows tucked).

C/G Bench - 8 x 3 @ 80kg
    DB Flyes - 4 x 12 w/20kg DB's

DB Rows - 4 x 12 w/45kg DB's
    DB Upright Rows - 4 x 12 @ 45kg

Military Press - 20 reps w/bar / 10 @ 45kg / 8 @ 65kg / 6 @ 75kg / 4 @ 85kg / 3 x 3 @ 90kg
    S/DB Press - 4 x 10 w/30kg DB's

Skull Crushers / BB curls - 4 x 10 @ 30kg
    Bar Dips / Hammer Curls - 4 x 10 25kg/15kg DB's

Car pulls - I only managed 15 mins as it was time to take my son kickboxing. Ive rigged up a crude harness out of 2 weight belts and a dips belt and it works well enough. Better than just wearing a belt and looping the rope under the **** anyway as it was rubbing the skin off my hips and causing blisters.

12. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Rest/Active recovery day yesterday - Just my usual 4 mile run and circuits followed by some light sandbag PT in the afternoon. The 75kg sandbag is fast becoming my favourite. a couple warm up circuits with the 45 and 60kg bags then do the rest of the circuits with the 75kg bag. Fantastic workout and i cant reccommend sandbag stuff enough. Cant help but wish i'd started doing this years ago. Results are fast too, 2 weeks ago i was only using the 75 for carries/drags, now i'm slinging the **** about and using it for presses, squats and slams etc. I'll keep doing what i'm doing until ive moved onto the 90 and 100kg bags.

13. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Today -

6am - 4 mile run / 45 mins circuit training / Sandbag PT (lightish, 6 circuits - 20kg/40kg/60kg/60kg/40kg/20kg - Bunny hops, squats, presses, lunges, cleand and carries)

Weights session this afternoon so will update later.

14. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    No weights today, but did a 30 mile 'walk' up on the moors with a 45kg bergen. Rain, mud, hills and pain. Lovely stuff.

15. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Morning - (6am)

4 mile run - 45 mins circuit training - 20 mins sandbag PT, with Tabata squats and burpees to finish. Puked up twice at the end, excellent workout!

Afternoon -

Weights session - Full body workout (usual stuff) followed by Steps circuit with 45kg bergen. Hill sprints to finish.