Sam's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by sam1222, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sam1222

sam1222 **** You. Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I do both mate, but yeah i definately feel fresher after my morning session. I'm usually up at 5am to jog to the park with my dog where i do my circuits, then a quick shower and its off to work for half 7-8, and usually raring to go by the time i get to work and have a brew. Then i'll load up on carbs at work late afternoon and train again around 7 o clock (easier since i'm training at home a fair bit right now, only going to the gym to spar now and then and for my weight's max days) so its just about finding the right balance with it all and keeping motivated to train. 50-100 press ups/sit ups or chins etc when you wake up will wake you up and get the juices flowing, there's always time to train mate :D

I find the work i do actually helps me with the kind of training i do and doesn't usually affect my ability to work out. Although with the weight training getting heavier i do miss a weights session here and there if ive had a particularly gruelling day digging or flagging and feel i need it, but its rare.

But like i say, its all about balancing everything out. if you cant train before work and are too tired after try getting an hours sleep when you get home, then work out. i'm lucky, i have the ability to cope on 4 or 5 hours sleep per night, train in the morning, work all day and still have enough in the tank to work out at night, but my body's got used to it over the years.

2. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
  3. elcasoshaun

elcasoshaun Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Sam, what age are you?

I'm forcing myself to do as little as possible as I'm getting on a bit even though I really want to train round the clock. I've had a lot of over-use injuries and my emphasis is on quality training without ****in myself up anymore. I see these 70 odd year-olds on you tube doing sprints, chins etc and wanna be like them in the future, so I figure easing off from crazy extreme stuff now should benefit me in the future.

Have you suffered many injuries with your regime? It seems to me once I turned 30 I only had to sneeze to put my back out(seriously, that happened once lol!)

4. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm 36 mate.

I get what you mean, but ive trained like this for years. i was in the army for 8 years and i boxed for a long time too so my body is used to being abused like this and i guess ive built up a tolerance to the kind of pain i can put it through. Plus i figure most of the oldies you see doing that **** on you tube have probably got some background in sport or training anyway, i can't see someone who's never trained before suddenly getting into it in their 70's and getting fit. muscle memory is muscle memory, no matter how old you are its gonna kick in if you've been used to heavy training for a number of years. but i could be wrong, and hope i'm half as fit when i'm their age, tho i'll not hold my breath. i figure i'll pay for this regime at some point :D

As for injuries, yeah ive suffered a few over the years, but only one or 2 have been a direct result of my training. This log for instance, was started after i had to take a month off training due to an injury i picked up boxing (sparring), and i thought it would be a good idea to keep track of where i was fitness/progression wise. I like it, and its one of the few i regularly update (this one, my own work sheet and another ive just started on a different website.) Ive just started training again after a 12 day lay off (due to having stitches, not training related) but i feel this has done me a lot of good, the month was far too long for me personally as i had to work on everything to get back in shape, strength, cardio the lot.

The only injury ive got to keep an eye on is my shoulder, which is definately weight training related. i never suffered with shoulder pains until i began benching heavy, but i seem to have got on top of this also, having received some excellent advice from several different sources regarding exercises to use to help this. 2 months ago i had bad pain whenever i benched over 100kg, through ad******g my training i'm now upto 120kg without any pain, tho my shoulder is stiffer than normal for a day or 2.

Ive always been lucky with recovery tho, as i recover/heal fast. Age is just a mental thing tho mate :D Don't underestimate how much your body can take. i'm not saying overtraining is a myth, but as long as you train right and build it up steady there's no reason you can't train like a madman :D i out train lads half my age all the time and there's loads who can't keep up with me. its my strength and endurance they cant match, and we're at the age where this type of endurance is at its peak (cant remember the term for it but as i say its at its peak in your mid to late 30's) BUT as you say, if your prone to injury then just take it easy and build up steadily, but don't be afraid to test yourself either. you'll soon find your limits, then its just a case of pushing them that bit harder each week/session.

5. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Today's training:
    Morning:
    2 mile jog followed by 45 mins circuit training. light stretching then climbed a 30ft rope 3 times (without using my legs)

Early evening:
    Bench: Warm up then 7 x 5 @ 90kg

Front squats: Light warm up then 5 x 5 @ 75kg

Deadlifts: Warm up then 10 singles @ 185kg / 4 x 6 @ 145kg

Seated Press behind neck: 7 x 5 @ 65kg / DB Rows: 4 x 10 with 30kg DB's

DB Military press: 4 x 6 with 30kg DB's.

Hammer Curls/BB Curls superset: 4 x 6 (45kg bar/20kg DB's)

Weighted pull ups: 7 x 5 with 25kg plate.

10 mins on Heavy bag / 3 circuits of Tabata skipping.

6. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Today: Rest/active recovery day.

6am
    2 mile jog to the park with my dog, followed by 45 mins circuit training (pull ups/ h.leg raises/dips/burpees/press ups/squats/chins - 1 - 30 - 30 - 1 on all exercises. Tabata squats and Tabata burpees 3 times back to back. Puked up, then 2 mile walk home.

12pm
    2 mile walk, followed by half hour steady swim. 2 mile walk home.

7pm
    Boxing training.
    6 x 3 shadow boxing
    6 x 3 skipping
    6 x 3 heavy bag
    6 x 3 pads
    6 x 3 sparring
    6 x 3 assorted AB work
    5 mins skipping and stretching.

7. u still running in this snow ?

8. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Yes mate. havent updated my log yet, but a couple of 4 milers this week and my usual 25 miler up on the hills today.

9. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Friday:

Morning.
    2 mile jog / 45 mins circuit training / 2 mile jog

Afternoon.

Front squats - 8 x 2 @ 70kg

Back squats - Breathing squats 20 reps @ 125kg

Bench - 8 x 4 @ 95kg

Incline DB press / DB Rows - 30kg DB's 4 x 8 each.

Seated DB press - 4 x 8 w/ 30kg DB's / Military press - 4 x 6 @ 75kg

Weighted Dips - 4 x 6 w/ 25kg plate. / skullcrushers - 4 x 8 @ 30kg

10. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Saturday.

Morning.

2 mile walk / 45 min steady swim / 2 mile walk

Afternoon.

Bench (4th day of smolov jr routine) warm up then, 10 x 3 @ 105kg

200 Press ups (don't know why i added these here as i'd done 300 in the morning, but the chest pump was crazy)

Sled pulls - (using an old wheelchair) 200kg 5 times up/down yard.

Sandbag sprints/loads - run up yard with it, put on top of wheelie bin, run back for the next. repeat 5 times. 5 bags from 60kg to 140kg

Sandbag bunny hops - 4 times up/down yard with 60kg sandbag.

Deadlift/Hold - 150kg - about a min an a half before grip failed. (enjoyed this so did it twice more but didnt time it)

Weighted chin ups - 10 x 3 w/ 25kg plate

11. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Sunday.

25 miler up on the hills w/ 60lb bergen. Decent weather but the ground was bad so didnt time it, just took it steady.

12. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Monday.

Morning -
    2 mile jog/slide / 45 mins circuit training (upper body circuits, press ups, chins/pull ups, dips then ****** bars stuff to finish) Assorted ab work - h/leg raises, h/sit ups. Tabata burpees/squats. (just one circuit to warm my legs up for the jog home)

Afternoon -

Front squats - sets of 5 up to 75kg

Back squats - 5 x 5 @ 150kg

Squat swings - 20kg DB 4 x 8

Bench - Warm up then, 6 x 6 @ 95kg

DB bench - 4 x 8 w/35kg DB's

DB Rows - 4 X 8 w/35kg DB's

Upright Rows - 4 x 8 @ 45kg / BB shrugs - 4 x 8 @ 45kg

Military Press - 5 x 5 @ 75kg

S/DB press - 4 x 6 w/35kg DB's

Weighted dips - 7 x 5 w/25kg plate

10 mins skipping followed by light stretching and 2 mile walk home.

13. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009
    Today. Rest day (weights) active recovery.

6am - 2 mile jog / 45 mins circuit training / 2 mile jog

7:30 ish - Sandbag loading, then sandbag bunny hops to finish. - starting to really enjoy this as it gives me a right workout. works everything, heart/lungs,legs, upper body, the lot. ****ed at the finish.

May go swimming later or just walk my dog for an hour or so.

Incidently, ive just started Max (my staffy) on his training routine. i want to start entering him in weight pull contests next year, and from what ive read regarding this subject this is the best time to start training him up (he's 18 months old). had some hilarious moments yesterday morning watching him get mad at the bergen he was dragging up hill! i'd loaded it with about 40kg to start him off light-ish and he went nuts biting and growling at it after it got wedged a couple times haha this morning he pulled 70kg worth of sandbags on the wheelchair in the yard and definately seemed to enjoy it (he ran around the yard like a lunatic for 15 mins after we finished, presumably as he felt lighter, cos he set off like his arse was on fire as soon as i un-hooked him!

Felt a bit guilty due to the method i used on the hill pulls, hooking him up then pretending to run off, but he dragged that backpack up the hill like it wasnt attached to him, and like i say, getting mad as **** with it when it got wedged once or twice. Yet he still fell for it again 4 more times :yep

Ive a feeling we're both gonna enjoy this :D

14. elcasoshaun

elcasoshaun Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ha ha, the Staffs love the weight pull stuff. You part of any of those canine athlete forums ACES, SACS, Ed Reid etc? I used to read them a while back but there was a lot of bickering between the various groups and I'm not too sure if they still have a lot of competitions (A-frame, tug of war, weight pull, lure coursing etc). My Malamute should pull like crazy but he's used to the easy life and is a lazy **** lol.

I'd be interested to see what sort of weight Max'll be pulling soon. What's his height and weight?

15. sam1222

Mar 1, 2009