Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. BIlly Joe Saunders & Elwin Soto Castro v. Katsunari Takayama RBR

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CST80, May 8, 2021.

1. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Whether he is or he isn't, his recent opponent's have hardly been eleite latents at the height of their game, plus Canelo was cutting insane weight to make 154 for AGES, and obviously was testing where his optimum weight was - which appears to be 168.

Now, whether the fact that 168 is the weakest division has anything to do with that is not for me to say.

Gatekeeper and kojak like this.
  2. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    To me it’s more of a non issue when both fighters have failed drug tests.

Gatekeeper and Heisenberg like this.
  3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    DDD's corner was criticised for sending him out with only one eye, rightly so in my view, so I have zero problem with Mark Tibbs taking the decision he did. This way the corner can take the blame, but it was the right decision.

I thought he may have been maybe one round down or maybe even level, but thats with my UK biased head on. If 2 judges saw it 6-2 then the cards only told us what we already knew, there wasn't really any scenario where BJS would win the fight. In any case each round Canelo got through to the body with shots that had me wincing. It was only going one way.

As it is, I enjoyed the fight and thought BJS did at least show some of his skills against an exceptional opponent. I agree Canelo's power appears suspicious, but we may never really know on that score. Maybe he's just a freak of nature. He's ATG material though, no bones about it.

4. red boy

red boy Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2011
    I think we can all agree it is a joy to see a bully get their punishment.

I hope the doctor putting BJS face back together has breath that smells like **** and BJS has to sit there smelling that **** whilst his face is slowly reconstructed and he begins his new life as a quitter.

'Breath smells like ****'

Fhaggis and KermitTheFrog like this.
  5. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    To me billy joe hasn’t looked the same since moving to 168 now is it cause he’s wasted his peak is it what he’s rehydrating to but like even last night he wasn’t as fleet of foot as he has been in past.

On the actual fight he needed to use more punch verity he didn’t use the uppercut enough didn’t double up the jab enough no hooks and didn’t use angles or feints at really at all.

credit to canelo though I didn’t think he would get the stoppage but he stuck to his game plan went through the gears and also made adjustments, could see from round 1 billy joe was not liking them body shots.

Gatekeeper, Holler, bbjc and 2 others like this.
  6. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Canelo was winning the fight and as predicted landed big on Saunders as the rounds wore on. BJS done well but he was never going the distance against Canelo.

7. Big Boy Battersby

Big Boy Battersby Member banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2021
    It's definitely not fair to diminish Alvarez' ability through drug use, because all top level athletes are juiced to the gills, but to suggest he may just be a "freak of nature" particularly when he has visible Growth Hormone injection sites on his abdomen, is just too funny.

He will be on all of the finest hot sauce available and to his and his "medical team's" preference, as will Fury, Joshua, Saunders and every other Tom, Dick and Harry.

8. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    That Aussie bikini model with the big fake knockers has got more balls than the gypsy quitter.

KermitTheFrog likes this.
  9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I
    Think there's a slight difference between having a swollen eye in a fight against Shannon Courtenay caused by a clash of heads and a fractured eye socket caused by an uppercut from arguably the best p4p in the World right now. Fine margins though, I'll give you that.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Gutted for Conway and Saunders, I felt that Saunders was doing well enough but after 6 rounds I was starting to wonder how he was going to convince the judges. Comical from Jnr mocking Saunders and offering Alvarez a "real fight", knowing full well that Alvarez probably doesn't even know who he is anymore and would never entertain it. Classy.

11. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Didn’t do the wake and bake, Sunday lie in, wander downstairs and click on the ZONE on my telly, full fight is ready and waiting. Lovely stuff.

Canelo listens intently to his corner. before round 8 his trainer is explaining the shot he needs to throw, right upper cut, Canelo asked “like this?” Trainer gives him a slight correction “like this” then he goes out and lands it perfectly and makes SANDERS QUIT like a dog on his stool.

Canelo gives his trainer all the credit in the ring afterwards. Humble kid. Respect.

12. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I expected more from Saunders tbh, he didn't fight with enough authority, especially early on.

He did settle down a bit in the middle rounds but was still lacking offence and conviction.

Canelo broke his body before he broke his mind.

Scissors likes this.
  13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    The body cannot live without the mind, Neo.

14. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    My reference was Batman.

15. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    All this shows is how good GGG was